Evaluating alternative offering strategies for wind producers in a pool
As wind power technology matures and reaches break-even cost, wind producers find it increasingly attractive to participate in pool markets instead of being paid feed-in tariffs. The key issue is then how a wind producer should offer in the pool markets to achieve maximum profit while controlling the variability of such profit. This paper compares two families of offering strategies based, respectively, on a naive use of wind production forecasts and on stochastic programming models. These strategies are compared through a comprehensive out-of-sample chronological analysis based on real-world data. A number of relevant conclusions are then duly drawn.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 88 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Vignal, 2009.
"Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Diongue, Abdou Kâ & Guégan, Dominique & Vignal, Bertrand, 2009. "Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 505-510, April.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guégan & Bertrand Vignal, 2007. "Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b07058, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne, revised Nov 2009.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Vignal, 2007. "Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00188264, HAL.
- Mackay, R.M & Probert, S.D, 1998. "Likely market-penetrations of renewable-energy technologies," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-38, January.
- Menz, Fredric C. & Vachon, Stephan, 2006. "The effectiveness of different policy regimes for promoting wind power: Experiences from the states," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(14), pages 1786-1796, September.
- Boccard, Nicolas, 2010. "Economic properties of wind power: A European assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3232-3244, July.
- Barthelmie, R.J. & Murray, F. & Pryor, S.C., 2008. "The economic benefit of short-term forecasting for wind energy in the UK electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1687-1696, May.
- Astrand, K. & Neij, L., 2006. "An assessment of governmental wind power programmes in Sweden--using a systems approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 277-296, February.
- Snyder, Brian & Kaiser, Mark J., 2009. "Ecological and economic cost-benefit analysis of offshore wind energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1567-1578.
- Möller, Christoph & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2011. "Balancing energy strategies in electricity portfolio management," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 2-11, January.
- Mohr, Markus & Unger, Hermann, 1999. "Economic reassessment of energy technologies with risk-management techniques," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-4), pages 165-173, September.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00307606 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:88:y:2011:i:12:p:4918-4926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.