Evaluating alternative offering strategies for wind producers in a pool
As wind power technology matures and reaches break-even cost, wind producers find it increasingly attractive to participate in pool markets instead of being paid feed-in tariffs. The key issue is then how a wind producer should offer in the pool markets to achieve maximum profit while controlling the variability of such profit. This paper compares two families of offering strategies based, respectively, on a naive use of wind production forecasts and on stochastic programming models. These strategies are compared through a comprehensive out-of-sample chronological analysis based on real-world data. A number of relevant conclusions are then duly drawn.
Volume (Year): 88 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Vignal, 2007.
"Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Diongue, Abdou Kâ & Guégan, Dominique & Vignal, Bertrand, 2009. "Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 505-510, April.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Vignal, 2009. "Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00307606, HAL.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guégan & Bertrand Vignal, 2007. "Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b07058, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne, revised Nov 2009.
- Boccard, Nicolas, 2010. "Economic properties of wind power: A European assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3232-3244, July.
- Mohr, Markus & Unger, Hermann, 1999. "Economic reassessment of energy technologies with risk-management techniques," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-4), pages 165-173, September.
- Barthelmie, R.J. & Murray, F. & Pryor, S.C., 2008. "The economic benefit of short-term forecasting for wind energy in the UK electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1687-1696, May.
- Astrand, K. & Neij, L., 2006. "An assessment of governmental wind power programmes in Sweden--using a systems approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 277-296, February.
- Snyder, Brian & Kaiser, Mark J., 2009. "Ecological and economic cost-benefit analysis of offshore wind energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1567-1578.
- Menz, Fredric C. & Vachon, Stephan, 2006. "The effectiveness of different policy regimes for promoting wind power: Experiences from the states," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(14), pages 1786-1796, September.
- Mackay, R.M & Probert, S.D, 1998. "Likely market-penetrations of renewable-energy technologies," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-38, January.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00307606 is not listed on IDEAS
- Möller, Christoph & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2011. "Balancing energy strategies in electricity portfolio management," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 2-11, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:88:y:2011:i:12:p:4918-4926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.