On modeling fossil fuel prices: geometric Brownian motion vs. variance-gamma process
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dilip B. Madan & Peter P. Carr & Eric C. Chang, 1998. "The Variance Gamma Process and Option Pricing," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 2(1), pages 79-105.
- Chia Chun Lo & Konstantinos Skindilias & Andreas Karathanasopoulos, 2016. "Forecasting Latent Volatility through a Markov Chain Approximation Filter," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 35(1), pages 54-69, January.
- repec:boz:journl:v:27:y:2013:i:2:p:1-18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474.
- Conall O'Sullivan & Michael Moloney, 2010. "The Variance Gamma Scaled Self-Decomposable Process in Actuarial Modelling," Working Papers 201030, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Detert, Neal & Kotani, Koji, 2013.
"Real options approach to renewable energy investments in Mongolia,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 136-150.
- Neal Detert & Koji Kotani, 2012. "Real options approach to renewable energy investments in Mongolia," Working Papers EMS_2012_10, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 893-911, July.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1984. "Uncertainty in the Theory of Renewable Resource Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 289-303.
- Ahmet Göncü & Mehmet Oguz Karahan & Tolga Umut Kuzubas, 2013. "Fitting the Variance-Gamma Model: A Goodness-of-Fit Check for Emerging Markets," Bogazici Journal, Review of Social, Economic and Administrative Studies, Bogazici University, Department of Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 1-10.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1999. "The Long-Run Evolutions of Energy Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-27.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Olsen, Trond E. & Stensland, Gunnar, 1988. "Optimal shutdown decisions in resource extraction," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 215-218.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. "The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-973, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1980. "Uncertainty and Exhaustible Resource Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1203-1225, December.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. "Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-976, July.
- González-Pedraz, Carlos & Moreno, Manuel & Peña, Juan Ignacio, 2014. "Tail risk in energy portfolios," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 422-434.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Miranda, Oscar & Brandão, Luiz E. & Lazo Lazo, Juan, 2017. "A dynamic model for valuing flexible mining exploration projects under uncertainty," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 393-404.
- Guedes, José & Santos, Pedro, 2016. "Valuing an offshore oil exploration and production project through real options analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 377-386.
- Bastian-Pinto, Carlos & Brando, Luiz & Hahn, Warren J., 2009. "Flexibility as a source of value in the production of alternative fuels: The ethanol case," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 411-422, May.
- Secomandi, Nicola & Seppi, Duane J., 2014. "Real Options and Merchant Operations of Energy and Other Commodities," Foundations and Trends(R) in Technology, Information and Operations Management, now publishers, vol. 6(3-4), pages 161-331, July.
- Sebastian Maier, 0. "Re-evaluating natural resource investments under uncertainty: An alternative to limited traditional approaches," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-31.
- Björn Lutz, 2010. "Pricing of Derivatives on Mean-Reverting Assets," Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Springer, number 978-3-642-02909-7, June.
- Andrianos E. Tsekrekos & Mark B. Shackleton & RafaÅ‚ Wojakowski, 2012. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments under Different Model Dynamics: Managerial Insights," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 18(4), pages 543-575, September.
- Felipe Isaza Cuervo & Sergio Botero Boterob, 2014. "AplicaciÃ³n de las opciones reales en la toma de decisiones en los mercados de electricidad," Estudios Gerenciales, Universidad Icesi, November.
- Carlos de Lamare Bastian-Pinto & Alexandre Paula Silva Ramos & Luiz de Magalhães Ozorio & Luiz Eduardo Teixeira Brandão, 2015. "Uncertainty and Flexibility in the Brazilian Beef Livestock Sector: the Value of the Confinement Option," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 12(6), pages 100-120, November.
- Kozlova, Mariia, 2017. "Real option valuation in renewable energy literature: Research focus, trends and design," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 180-196.
- Sebastian Maier, 2021. "Re-evaluating natural resource investments under uncertainty: An alternative to limited traditional approaches," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 299(1), pages 907-937, April.
- Warren J. Hahn & James S. Dyer, 2011. "A Discrete Time Approach for Modeling Two-Factor Mean-Reverting Stochastic Processes," Decision Analysis, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 220-232, September.
- Margaret Insley & Yichun Huang, 2020. "The economics of water conservation regulations under uncertainty: An application to Alberta's Lower Athabasca River Region," Working Papers 2003, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2020.
- Fernando Antonio Lucena Aiube & Ariel Levy, 2019. "Recent movement of oil prices and future scenarios [Movimentos recentes dos preços do petróleo e os cenários futuros]," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 29(1), pages 223-248, January-A.
- Siña, Matías & Guzmán, Juan Ignacio, 2019. "Real option valuation of open pit mines with two processing methods," Journal of Commodity Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(C), pages 30-39.
- Foo, Nam & Bloch, Harry & Salim, Ruhul, 2018. "The optimisation rule for investment in mining projects," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 123-132.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2001. "Valuing Managerial Flexibility: An Application of Real-Option Theory to Mining Investments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 193-233, March.
- Hahn, Warren J. & DiLellio, James A. & Dyer, James S., 2014. "What do market-calibrated stochastic processes indicate about the long-term price of crude oil?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 212-221.
- Cuervo, Felipe Isaza & Botero, Sergio Botero, 2016. "Wind power reliability valuation in a Hydro-Dominated power market: The Colombian case," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 1359-1372.
- Murray Carlson & Zeigham Khokher & Sheridan Titman, 2007. "Equilibrium Exhaustible Resource Price Dynamics," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1663-1703, August.
More about this item
KeywordsFossil fuel index; variance-gamma process; geometric Brownian motion process;
All these keywords.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-17-00495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: John P. Conley (email available below). General contact details of provider: .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.