Economic Freedom and Indian Outward Foreign Direct Investment: An Empirical Analysis
This study examines the role economic freedom plays in attracting Indian outward foreign direct investment to various countries. Investments by Indian multinationals to various continents are studied along with aggregate investment outflows. Results show that Indian outward FDI do appear to prefer economically free economies. Government size, ease of foreign trade, and market regulations are the aspects of economic freedom Indian investors appear to cherish, while legal structure does not seem to influence the volume of investments by Indian multinationals.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campa, Joe Manuel, 1993. "Entry by Foreign Firms in the United States under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 614-22, November.
- Adrian Corcoran & Robert Gillanders, 2015.
"Foreign direct investment and the ease of doing business,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 151(1), pages 103-126, February.
- Adrian Corcoran & Robert Gillanders, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and The Ease of Doing Business," Working Papers 201219, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Rodrigo Echeverria, 2004. "Does Economic Development Impact the Foreign Direct Investment-Trade Relationship? A Gravity-Model Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 782-787.
- World Bank, 2011. "World Development Indicators 2011," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2315.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Lunn, John, 1980. "Determinants of U.S. direct investment in the E.E.C. : Further evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1982. "The emergence of Third World multinationals: Indian joint ventures overseas," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 127-146, February.
- Azman-Saini, W.N.W. & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Law, Siong Hook, 2010. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and economic growth: International evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1079-1089, September.
- José Caetano & António Caleiro, 2009. "Is There a Relationship Between Transparency in Economic and Political Systems and Foreign Direct Investment Flows?," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 45-58, March.
- K. C. Fung & Alicia Garcia-Herrero, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment Outflows From China And India," China Economic Policy Review (CEPR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1250003-1-1.
- Turan Subasat & Sotiris Bellos, 2011. "Economic Freedom and Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America: A Panel Gravity Model Approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2053-2065.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
- Berggren, Niclas, 2003. "The Benefits of Economic Freedom: A Survey," Ratio Working Papers 4, The Ratio Institute.
- Bengoa, Marta & Sanchez-Robles, Blanca, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and growth: new evidence from Latin America," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 529-545, September.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.