Economic Freedom and Indian Outward Foreign Direct Investment: An Empirical Analysis
This study examines the role economic freedom plays in attracting Indian outward foreign direct investment to various countries. Investments by Indian multinationals to various continents are studied along with aggregate investment outflows. Results show that Indian outward FDI do appear to prefer economically free economies. Government size, ease of foreign trade, and market regulations are the aspects of economic freedom Indian investors appear to cherish, while legal structure does not seem to influence the volume of investments by Indian multinationals.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengoa, Marta & Sanchez-Robles, Blanca, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and growth: new evidence from Latin America," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 529-545, September.
- K. C. Fung & Alicia Garcia-Herrero, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment Outflows From China And India," China Economic Policy Review (CEPR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1-15.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1982. "The emergence of Third World multinationals: Indian joint ventures overseas," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 127-146, February.
- Azman-Saini, W.N.W. & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Law, Siong Hook, 2010. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and economic growth: International evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1079-1089, September.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-767, July.
- World Bank, 2011. "World Development Indicators 2011," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2315, April.
- Adrian Corcoran & Robert Gillanders, 2015.
"Foreign direct investment and the ease of doing business,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 151(1), pages 103-126, February.
- Adrian Corcoran & Robert Gillanders, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and The Ease of Doing Business," Working Papers 201219, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Berggren, Niclas, 2003. "The Benefits of Economic Freedom: A Survey," Ratio Working Papers 4, The Ratio Institute.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Lunn, John, 1980. "Determinants of U.S. direct investment in the E.E.C. : Further evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Turan Subasat & Sotiris Bellos, 2011. "Economic Freedom and Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America: A Panel Gravity Model Approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2053-2065.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- José Caetano & António Caleiro, 2009. "Is There a Relationship Between Transparency in Economic and Political Systems and Foreign Direct Investment Flows?," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(2), pages 45-58, March.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Rodrigo Echeverria, 2004. "Does Economic Development Impact the Foreign Direct Investment-Trade Relationship? A Gravity-Model Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 782-787.
- Campa, Joe Manuel, 1993. "Entry by Foreign Firms in the United States under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 614-622, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)