Budget deficits and U.S. economic growth
This paper explores how the U.S. budget deficit affects U.S. economic growth. Time-series data for the 1973-2004 period is applied to a simultaneous equation model to estimate the various direct and indirect effects of budget deficits on growth. The results indicate that, ceteris paribus, an increase in budget deficits slows growth. However, the “twin” current account deficits, which our model shows tend to accompany budget deficits, increase growth. Hence, the overall relationship between budget deficits and economic growth is ambiguous.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
"The role of macroeconomic factors in growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 485-512, December.
- Mendoza, Enrique G., 1997. "Terms-of-trade uncertainty and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 323-356, December.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1997.
"Openness, Productivity and Growth: What Do We Really Know?,"
NBER Working Papers
5978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1998. "Openness, Productivity and Growth: What Do We Really Know?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 383-98, March.
- Kraay, Aart & Ventura, Jaume, 2005.
"The dot-com bubble, the Bush deficits, and the U.S. current account,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3672, The World Bank.
- Aart Kraay & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "The Dot-Com Bubble, the Bush Deficits, and the U.S. Current Account," NBER Chapters, in: G7 Current Account Imbalances: Sustainability and Adjustment, pages 457-496 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aart Kraay & Jaume Ventura, 2005. "The Dot-Com Bubble, the Busch Deficits and the US Current Account," Working Papers 216, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jaume Ventura & Aart Kraay, 2005. "The dot-com bubble, the Bush deficits and the US current account," Economics Working Papers 847, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 2005.
- Aart Kraay & Jaume Ventura, 2005. "The Dot-Com Bubble the Bush Deficits, and the U.S. Current Account," NBER Working Papers 11543, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kraay, Aart & Ventura, Jaume, 2005. "The Dot-Com Bubble, the Bush Deficits, and the US Current Account," CEPR Discussion Papers 5157, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995.
"What Do Budget Deficits Do?,"
NBER Working Papers
5263, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995. "What do budget deficits do?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 95-119.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995. "What do Budget Deficits Do?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1740, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Esfahani, Hadi Salehi, 1991. "Exports, imports, and economic growth in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 93-116, January.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Ball, Laurence & Elmendorf, Douglas W & Mankiw, N Gregory, 1998.
"The Deficit Gamble,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 699-720, November.
- Laurence Ball & Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995. "The Deficit Gamble," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1710, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Laurence Ball & Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995. "The Deficit Gamble," NBER Working Papers 5015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bleaney, Michael & Greenaway, David, 2001. "The impact of terms of trade and real exchange rate volatility on investment and growth in sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 491-500, August.
- Selahattin Dibooglu, 1995.
"Accounting for U.S. Current Account Deficits: An Empirical Investigation,"
- Selahattin Dibooglu, 1997. "Accounting for US current account deficits: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 787-793.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Ito, Hiro, 2007.
"Current account balances, financial development and institutions: Assaying the world "saving glut","
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 546-569, June.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Hiro Ito, 2005. "Current Account Balances, Financial Development and Institutions: Assaying the World "Savings Glut"," NBER Working Papers 11761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henning Bohn, 1991.
"The sustainability of budget deficits with lump-sum and with income-based taxation,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 580-612.
- Bohn, Henning, 1991. "The Sustainability of Budget Deficits with Lump-Sum and with Income-Based Taxation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 580-604, August.
- Bohn, H., 1990. "The Substainability Of Budget Deficits With Lump-Sum And With Income-Based Taxation," Weiss Center Working Papers 17-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Henning Bohn, . "The Sustainability of Budget Deficits with Lump-Sum and with Income-Based Taxation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 17-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Christopher Blattman & Jason Hwang & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2003. "The Terms of Trade and Economic Growth in the Periphery 1870-1938," NBER Working Papers 9940, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08h60001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.