Evaluating coasean bargaining experiments with meta-analysis
While the Coase Theorem has been a touchstone for understanding bargaining behavior, it has also been criticized for relying on unrealistic assumptions. In response, a line of experimental research analyzes bargaining behavior in laboratory settings. This paper uses meta-analysis to evaluate the Coasean bargaining literature by modeling the probability of an efficient bargain as a function of: (1) measures of transaction costs and related variables, and (2) measures of the social dimensions of a bargain. Results suggest that efficient solutions are more likely when explicit transaction costs do not exist, in the absence of a binding time limit, and when participants have perfect information on payoff schedules. Social dimension variables are found to have the potential to affect bargaining outcomes and are an important avenue for further research.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 68 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shogren, Jason F., 1989.
"Fairness in bargaining requires a context : An experimental examination of loyalty,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 319-323, December.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1989. "Fairness in Bargaining Requires a Context: An Experimental Examination of Loyalty," Staff General Research Papers Archive 293, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1998. "Coasean bargaining with symmetric delay costs," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 309-326, December.
- Rosenberger, Randall S. & Loomis, John B., 2000. "Panel Stratification in Meta-Analysis of Economic Studies: An Investigation of Its Effects in the Recreation Valuation Literature," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(03), pages 459-470, December.
- Messer, Kent D. & Zarghamee, Homa & Kaiser, Harry M. & Schulze, William D., 2007. "New hope for the voluntary contributions mechanism: The effects of context," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(9), pages 1783-1799, September.
- Schwab, Stewart, 1988. "A Coasean Experiment on Contract Presumptions," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 237-268, June.
- King, Ronald R., 1994. "An experimental investigation of transaction costs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 391-409, December.
- Hoffman, Elizabeth & Spitzer, Matthew L, 1982. "The Coase Theorem: Some Experimental Tests," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 73-98, April.
- Elizabeth Hoffman & Matthew Spitzer, 1981. "The Coase Theorem: Some Experimental Tests," Discussion Papers 470, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Rosenberger, Randall S. & Loomis, John B., 2000. "Panel Stratification In Meta-Analysis Of Economic Studies: An Investigation Of Its Effects In The Recreation Valuation Literature," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Todd Cherry & Jason Shogren, 2005. "Costly Coasean Bargaining and Property Right Security," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(3), pages 349-367, 07.
- Todd L. Cherry & Jason F. Shogren, 2001. "Costly Coasean Bargaining and Property Right Security," Working Papers 01-01, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Prudencio, Yves Coffi, 1982. "The voluntary approach to externality problems: An experimental test," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 213-228, September.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Experimental Tests of the Endowment Effect and the Coase Theorem," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1325-1348, December.
- Usher, Dan, 1998. "The Coase theorem is tautological, incoherent or wrong," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 3-11, October.
- Rhoads, Thomas A & Shogren, Jason F, 2003. "Regulation through Collaboration: Final Authority and Information Symmetry in Environmental Coasean Bargaining," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 63-89, July.
- T. D. Stanley, 2001. "Wheat from Chaff: Meta-analysis as Quantitative Literature Review," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 131-150, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)