A Semiparametric Time Trend Varying Coefficients Model: With An Application to Evaluate Credit Rationing in U.S. Credit Market
In this paper, we propose a new semiparametric varying coefficient model which extends the existing semi-parametric varying coefficient models to allow for a time trend regressor with smooth coefficient function. We propose to use the local linear method to estimate the coefficient functions and we provide the asymptotic theory to describe the asymptotic distribution of the local linear estimator. We present an application to evaluate credit rationing in the U.S. credit market. Using U.S. monthly data (1952.1-2008.1) and using inflation as the underlying state variable, we find that credit is not rationed for levels of inflation that are either very low or very high; and for the remaining values of inflation, we find that credit is rationed and the Mundell-Tobin effect holds.
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aeconf.net/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jansen, Dennis W. & Li, Qi & Wang, Zijun & Yang, Jian, 2008. "Fiscal policy and asset markets: A semiparametric analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 141-150, November.
- Martin Petrick, 2005.
"Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 191-203, 09.
- Petrick, Martin, 2003. "Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey," IAMO Discussion Papers 45, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO).
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, 2002. "Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 3(1), pages 103-116, May.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, "undated". "Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects," Working Papers 0109, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Savvides & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2006. "Economic development and the return to human capital: a smooth coefficient semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 111-132.
- Mamuneas, T.P. & Savvides, A. & Stengos, T., 2002. "Economic Development and the Return to Human Capital: A Smooth Coefficient Semiparametric Approach," Working Papers 2002-14, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- E. Zacharias & T. Stengos, 2006. "Intertemporal pricing and price discrimination: a semiparametric hedonic analysis of the personal computer market," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 371-386.
- Thanasis Stengos & Eleftherios Zaharias, 2002. "Intertemporal Pricing and Price Discrimination: A Semiparametric Hedonic Analysis of the Personal Computer Market," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0211, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Stengos, T. & Zacharias, E., 2003. "Intertemporal Pricing and Price Discrimination: A Semiparametric Hedonic Analysis of the Personal Computer Market," Working Papers 2003-9, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
- David, Drukker & Pedro, Gomis-Porqueras & Paula, Hernandez -erme, 2005. "Threshold effects in the relationship between inflation and growth: a new panel-data approach," MPRA Paper 38225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2009. "Functional-coefficient cointegration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 81-92, October.
- Jeff Racine & Qi Li & Xi Zhu, 2004. "Kernel Estimation of Multivariate Conditional Distributions," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 211-235, November.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Functional-coefficient models for nonstationary time series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Duca, John V. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 1991. "An empirical test of credit rationing in the mortgage market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 218-234, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)