A Semiparametric Time Trend Varying Coefficients Model: With An Application to Evaluate Credit Rationing in U.S. Credit Market
In this paper, we propose a new semiparametric varying coefficient model which extends the existing semi-parametric varying coefficient models to allow for a time trend regressor with smooth coefficient function. We propose to use the local linear method to estimate the coefficient functions and we provide the asymptotic theory to describe the asymptotic distribution of the local linear estimator. We present an application to evaluate credit rationing in the U.S. credit market. Using U.S. monthly data (1952.1-2008.1) and using inflation as the underlying state variable, we find that credit is not rationed for levels of inflation that are either very low or very high; and for the remaining values of inflation, we find that credit is rationed and the Mundell-Tobin effect holds.
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aeconf.net/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David, Drukker & Pedro, Gomis-Porqueras & Paula, Hernandez -erme, 2005. "Threshold effects in the relationship between inflation and growth: a new panel-data approach," MPRA Paper 38225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jansen, Dennis W. & Li, Qi & Wang, Zijun & Yang, Jian, 2008. "Fiscal policy and asset markets: A semiparametric analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 141-150, November.
- Jeff Racine & Qi Li & Xi Zhu, 2004. "Kernel Estimation of Multivariate Conditional Distributions," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 211-235, November.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, 2002.
"Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 3(1), pages 103-116, May.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, . "Series Estimation of Partially Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects," Working Papers 0109, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Petrick, Martin, 2003.
"Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey,"
IAMO Discussion Papers
45, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Martin Petrick, 2005. "Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 191-203, 09.
- Andreas Savvides & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2006.
"Economic development and the return to human capital: a smooth coefficient semiparametric approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 111-132.
- Mamuneas, T.P. & Savvides, A. & Stengos, T., 2002. "Economic Development and the Return to Human Capital: A Smooth Coefficient Semiparametric Approach," Working Papers 2002-14, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Duca, John V. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 1991. "An empirical test of credit rationing in the mortgage market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 218-234, March.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Functional-coefficient models for nonstationary time series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2009. "Functional-coefficient cointegration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 81-92, October.
- Thanasis Stengos & Eleftherios Zaharias, 2002.
"Intertemporal Pricing and Price Discrimination: A Semiparametric Hedonic Analysis of the Personal Computer Market,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
0211, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- E. Zacharias & T. Stengos, 2006. "Intertemporal pricing and price discrimination: a semiparametric hedonic analysis of the personal computer market," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 371-386.
- Stengos, T. & Zacharias, E., 2003. "Intertemporal Pricing and Price Discrimination: A Semiparametric Hedonic Analysis of the Personal Computer Market," Working Papers 2003-9, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2012:v:13:i:1:gaoguhernandez-verme. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.