Functional cointegration: definition and nonparametric estimation
We formally define a concept of functional cointegration linking the dynamics of two time series via a functional coefficient. This is achieved through the use of a concept of summability as an alternative to I(1)'ness which is no longer suitable under nonlinear dynamics. We subsequently introduce a nonparametric approach for estimating the unknown functional coefficients. Our method is based on a piecewise local least squares principle and is computationally simple to implement. We establish its consistency properties and evaluate its performance in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hrv:faseco:33077905 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jesús Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2006.
"Threshold Effects in Cointegrating Relationships,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(s1), pages 813-833, December.
- Pitarakis, Jean-Yves & Gonzalo, Jesús, 2006. "Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships," UC3M Working papers. Economics we20060621, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Damla Şenturk & Hans-Georg Muller, 2005. "Covariate-adjusted regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(1), pages 75-89, March.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Functional-coefficient models for nonstationary time series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Ted Juhl, 2005. "Functional-coefficient models under unit root behaviour," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 197-213, 07.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- In Choi & Pentti Saikkonen, 2004. "Testing linearity in cointegrating smooth transition regressions," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 341-365, December.
- Kasparis, Ioannis & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2012. "Dynamic misspecification in nonparametric cointegrating regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 270-284.
- Ioannis Kasparis & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2009. "Dynamic Misspecification in Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1700, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ioannis Kasparis & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2009. "Dynamic Misspecification in Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 2-2009, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Breitung, Jorg, 2001. "Rank Tests for Nonlinear Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 331-340, July.
- Breitung, Jörg, 1998. "Rank tests for nonlinear cointegration," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1991. "Strong Laws for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 213-221, June.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Berenguer Rico, Vanessa, 2011. "Summability of stochastic processes: a generalization of integration and co-integration valid for non-linear processes," UC3M Working papers. Economics we1115, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Banerjee, Anurag, 2007. "A method of estimating the average derivative," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2009. "Functional-coefficient cointegration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 81-92, October.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Berenguer Rico, Vanessa, 2013. "Co-summability from linear to non-linear cointegration," UC3M Working papers. Economics we1312, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38846. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.