Functional cointegration: definition and nonparametric estimation
We formally define a concept of functional cointegration linking the dynamics of two time series via a functional coefficient. This is achieved through the use of a concept of summability as an alternative to I(1)'ness which is no longer suitable under nonlinear dynamics. We subsequently introduce a nonparametric approach for estimating the unknown functional coefficients. Our method is based on a piecewise local least squares principle and is computationally simple to implement. We establish its consistency properties and evaluate its performance in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ted Juhl, 2005. "Functional-coefficient models under unit root behaviour," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 197-213, 07.
- Breitung, Jorg, 2001.
"Rank Tests for Nonlinear Cointegration,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 331-40, July.
- Damla Şenturk & Hans-Georg Muller, 2005. "Covariate-adjusted regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(1), pages 75-89, March.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2009. "Functional-coefficient cointegration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 81-92, October.
- Peter C.B.Phillips & Ioannis Kasparis, 2009.
"Dynamic Misspecification in Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression,"
CoFie-01-2009, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics.
- Kasparis, Ioannis & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2012. "Dynamic misspecification in nonparametric cointegrating regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 270-284.
- Ioannis Kasparis & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2009. "Dynamic Misspecification in Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 2-2009, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Ioannis Kasparis & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2009. "Dynamic Misspecification in Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1700, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Banerjee, Anurag, 2007. "A method of estimating the average derivative," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Jes�s Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2006.
"Threshold Effects in Cointegrating Relationships,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(s1), pages 813-833, December.
- Gonzalo, J. & Pitarakis, J., 2005. "Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0506, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2006. "Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships," Economics Working Papers we20060621, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- In Choi & Pentti Saikkonen, 2004. "Testing linearity in cointegrating smooth transition regressions," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 341-365, December.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Functional-coefficient models for nonstationary time series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Vanessa Berenguer Rico & Jesus Gonzalo, 2011. "Summability of stochastic processes: a generalization of integration and co-integration valid for non-linear processes," Economics Working Papers we1115, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Vanessa Berenguer Rico & Jesús Gonzalo, 2013. "Co-summability from linear to non-linear cointegration," Economics Working Papers we1312, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1991. "Strong Laws for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 213-221, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38846. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.