A Note on Nonlinear Cointegration, Misspecification and Bimodality
We show that the asymptotic distribution of the ordinary least squares estimator in a cointegration regression may be bimodal. A simple case arises when the intercept is erroneously omitted from the estimated model or in nonlinear-in-variables models with endogenous regressors. In the latter case, a solution is to use an instrumental variable estimator. The core results in this paper also generalises to more complicated nonlinear models involving integrated time series.
|Date of creation:||12 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand|
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hillier, Grant, 2006. "Yet More On The Exact Properties Of Iv Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 913-931, October.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2008.
"Regression Asymptotics Using Martingale Convergence Methods,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 888-947, August.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2008. "Regression asymptotics using martingale convergence methods," Scholarly Articles 2624459, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rustam Ibragimov & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2004. "Regression Asymptotics Using Martingale Convergence Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1473, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Giovanni Forchini, 2005.
"On the Bimodality of the Exact Distribution of the TSLS Estimator,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
14/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Forchini, G., 2006. "On The Bimodality Of The Exact Distribution Of The Tsls Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 932-946, October.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 2006.
"A Remark On Bimodality And Weak Instrumentation In Structural Equation Estimation,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 947-960, October.
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 2005. "A Remark on Bimodality and Weak Instrumentation in Structural Equation Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1540, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbt:econwp:10/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.