Sovereign CDS Instruments in Central Europe – Linkages and Interdependence
In the article, linkages among sovereign CDS instruments in Central Europe are investigated. Special attention is paid to the change of causality patterns during the Hungarian and Greek crises. The results of the research reveal that the expectations do play a role in determining the prices of the contracts, as well as that there exist regional causality relationships between the instruments. The strength of causality between the volatilities of Polish – Hungarian and Czech-Hungarian CDS prices weakened during the Hungarian crisis, while the volatilities of the three time series reacted rapidly and strongly to the Greek one. This suggest that the European events should play more important role in determining the dynamics of the contracts than the problems of the country of the weakest fundamentals in the region.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K., 1996. "A causality-in-variance test and its application to financial market prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 33-48.
- Jun Yu & Renate Meyer, 2004.
"Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models: Bayesian Estimation and Model Comparison,"
23-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Jun Yu & Renate Meyer, 2006. "Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models: Bayesian Estimation and Model Comparison," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 361-384.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Jorion, Philippe & Zhang, Gaiyan, 2007. "Good and bad credit contagion: Evidence from credit default swaps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 860-883, June.
- Todd Keister, 2006.
"Expectations and contagion in self-fulfilling currency attacks,"
249, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Todd Keister, 2009. "Expectations And Contagion In Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(3), pages 991-1012, 08.
- Tood Keister, 2005. "Expectations and Contagion in Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," Working Papers 0501, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Todd Keister, 2006. "Expectations and Contagion in Self-fulfilling Currency Attacks," 2006 Meeting Papers 485, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpn:umkdem:v:11:y:2011:p:111-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miroslawa Buczynska)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.