Forecasting international stock market correlations: does anything beat a CCC?
It is well known that the correlation between financial series varies over time. Here, the forecasting performance of different time-varying correlation models is compared for cross-country correlations of weekly G5 and daily European stock market indices. In contrast to previous studies only the correlation and not the entire covariance matrix is forecasted and multi-step forecasts are considered. The forecast comparison is done by considering statistical and economic criteria. The results suggest that under a statistical criterion time-varying correlation models perform quite well for weekly data, but cannot outperform the constant correlation model for daily data. Considering economic criteria it is hard to beat a constant correlation model.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0221 / 470 5607|
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://www.wisostat.uni-koeln.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2010.
"Ranking Multivariate GARCH Models by Problem Dimension,"
CARF-F-219, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Ranking Multivariate GARCH Models by Problem Dimension," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0124, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Ranking Multivariate GARCH Models by Problem Dimension," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-742, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Ranking Multivariate GARCH Models by Problem Dimension," Working Papers in Economics 10/34, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Caporin, M. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Ranking multivariate GARCH models by problem dimension," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-34, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Pelletier, Denis, 2006.
"Regime switching for dynamic correlations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 445-473.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004. "Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 230, Econometric Society.
- LAURENT, Sebastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V.K. & VIOLANTE, FRANCESCO, 2009. "Consistent ranking of multivariate volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 2009002, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Hafner, Christian M. & Reznikova, Olga, 2010. "Efficient estimation of a semiparametric dynamic copula model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2609-2627, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ucdpse:710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.