The Turkish Experience in Inflation Targeting: Uncertainties and the Efficiency of Monetary Policy
In January 2002, Turkey adopted implicit inflation targeting as monetary policy. The short-term interest rate of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey would serve as instrument and should influence the secondary market interest rate. Using a Vector Error Correction Model, we analyze the joint dynamics of these two rates. We show that the political or geopolitical uncertainties of the 2002 and 2003 (early elections, discussions on the opening of negotiations to joint the European Union and conflict in Iraq) have not affected the dynamics of the two rates. However, there has been a structural change in their long term dynamics at the end of 2004 because of the opening of negotiation Turkey to join the European Union. This event has temporarily reinforced the efficiency of the monetary policy.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 116 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2003.
"Does Inflation Targeting Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
9577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baltensperger, Ernst & Fischer, Andreas M & Jordan, Thomas J., 2006.
"Strong Goal Independence and Inflation Targets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5915, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001.
"One Decade of Inflation Targeting in the World: What Do We Know and What Do We Need to Know?,"
NBER Working Papers
8397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "One decade of inflation targeting in the world : What do we know and what do we need to know?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 101, Central Bank of Chile.
- C. Emre Alper, 2001. "The Turkish Liquidity Crisis of 2000: What Went Wrong..," Working Papers 2001/11, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Adam S. Posen, 1997.
"Inflation targeting: lessons from four countries,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aug, pages 9-110.
- Alain DeSerres & Alain Guay, 1995. "Selection of the Truncation Lag in Structural VARs (or VECMs) with Long-Run Restrictions," Econometrics 9510001, EconWPA.
- Jerome Hericourt & Julien Reynaud, 2006. "La crise monetaire turque de 2000/2001 : une analyse de l’echec du plan de stabilisation par le change du FMI," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 108, pages 5-26.
- Hakan Kara & Hande Kucuk Tuger, 2005. "Some Evidence on the Irrationality of Inflation Expectations in Turkey," Working Papers 0512, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 1998. "Tests For Structural Change In Cointegrated Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 222-259, April.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Ayse Ertugrul & Jerome Hericourt & Julien Reynaud, 2005. "Fonction de reaction et politique monetaire en changes fixes : une nouvelle formulation appliquee a la Turquie," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 103, pages 97-119.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepiei:2008-4te. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.