Concentración, Hold-up e Información de las Colocaciones Bancarias: Evidencia de Empresas Chilenas
In this paper we empirically study bank-client relationships using a sample of Chilean manufacturing firms. We examine whether concentration and the duration of bank-client relationships affect the volume of bank lending. Our results indicate that lower concentration, measured by the number of banks a firm borrows from, is associated ith a large and positive effect on borrowing. The length of borrower-lender relationships has a positive—although not always statistically significant—effect on the amount borrowed.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Scott, James S, 1999. "Relationships and Rationing in Consumer Loans," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 523-44, October.
- Ramakrishnan, Ram T S & Thakor, Anjan V, 1984. "Information Reliability and a Theory of Financial Intermediation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 415-32, July.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Whited, Toni M, 1992.
" Debt, Liquidity Constraints, and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1425-60, September.
- Toni M. Whited, 1990. "Debt, liquidity constraints, and corporate investment: evidence from panel data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 114, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001. "Competition among banks: good or bad?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 38-48.
- Ross Levine, 2000.
"Bank Concentration: Chile and International Comparisons,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
62, Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, R., 2000. "Bank Concentration: Chile and International Comparisons," Papers 62, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Berger, A.N. & Goldberg, L.G. & White, L.J., 2001.
"The Effects of Dynamic Change in Bank Competition on the Supply of Small Business Credit,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
01-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Allen N.Berger & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 2001. "The Effects of Dynamic Changes in Bank Competition on the Supply of Small Business Credit," Working Papers 01-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Allen N. Berger & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 2001. "The effects of dynamic changes in bank competition on the supply of small business credit," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Houston, Joel & James, Christopher, 1996. " Bank Information Monopolies and the Mix of Private and Public Debt Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1863-89, December.
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Allen, Franklin, 1990. "The market for information and the origin of financial intermediation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-30, March.
- Andrea Repetto & Sergio Rodríguez & Rodrigo O. Valdés, 2002. "Bank Lending and Relationship Banking: Evidence from Chilean Firms," Documentos de Trabajo 146, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Arnoud W. A. Boot & Anjan V. Thakor, 2000.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 679-713, 04.
- Blackwell, David W & Winters, Drew B, 1997. "Banking Relationships and the Effect of Monitoring on Loan Pricing," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 275-89, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchec:v:6:y:2003:i:3:p:27-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.