Better Value for Money in Healthcare: European Lessons for Canada
Modern health systems, like Canada’s, face similar pressures. Populations are aging, government revenues are dwindling, and the scope for new services is increasing as new technologies develop. However, each country is responding to these pressures in unique ways. Arguably, Canadians pay too much attention to the United States health model – which is expensive and has a large uninsured population – making it a distraction for provincial policymakers. This Commentary instead focuses on the United Kingdom’s and the Netherlands’ healthcare systems. Those systems have undergone a period of reform to attain greater value for money and they adhere to equity principles similar to those underlying the Canadian system. A serious look at how these European countries align incentives within their systems to encourage better performance would be beneficial to health policy development in Canada.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 339 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandre Laurin & William B.P. Robson, 2011. "Ottawa's Pension Gap: The Growing and Under-reported Cost of Federal Employee Pensions," e-briefs 127, C.D. Howe Institute.
- William B.P. Robson, 2012. "Fixing MP Pensions: Parliamentarians Must Lead Canada's Move to Fairer, and Better-Funded Retirements," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 146, January.
- Colin Busby & David Gray, 2011. "Mending Canada's Employment Insurance Quilt: The Case for Restoring Equity," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 144, November.
- Benjamin Dachis & William B.P. Robson, 2011. "Holding Canada's Cities to Account: an Assessment of Municipal Fiscal Management," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 145, November.
- James P. Feehan, 2012. "Newfoundland's Electricity Options: Making the Right Choice Requires and Efficient Pricing Regime," e-briefs 129, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Charles M. Beach & Christopher Worswick, 2011. "Toward Improving Canada's Skilled Immigration Policy: An Evaluation Approach," C.D. Howe Institute Policy Studies, C.D. Howe Institute, number 20111, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.