Price-Level Targeting: an omelette that requires breaking some Inflation-Targeting eggs?
This manuscript can be divided into two main parts. The first one, using a simple example by Minford (2004) and Hatcher (2011), gives the reader a basic introduction to understand the comparison between two monetary-policy regimes: Inflation Targeting (IT) and Price-Level Targeting (PLT). The second part, using a model with a New Keynesian Phillips curve and a loss function (both of which incorporate partial indexation to lagged inflation), finds that for standard values of underlying parameters (i) the social loss associated to macroeconomic volatility may decrease about 26% by switching from IT to PLT and (ii) only when the initial level of indexation to lagged inflation is higher than 60% then it is better not to switch to PLT.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.org/publicaciones/pub_borra.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Ragan, 2011. "The Roads Not Taken: Why the Bank of Canada Stayed With Inflation Targeting," e-briefs 125, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Gill Hammond, 2012. "State of the art of inflation targeting," Handbooks, Centre for Central Banking Studies, Bank of England, edition 4, number 29, May.
- Steve Ambler, 2009.
"Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review,"
Bank of Canada Review,
Bank of Canada, vol. 2009(Spring), pages 21-31.
- Steve Ambler, 2007. "Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review," Discussion Papers 07-11, Bank of Canada.
- George A. Kahn, 2009. "Beyond inflation targeting: should central banks target the price level?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 35-64.
- Vestin, David, 2006. "Price-level versus inflation targeting," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1361-1376, October.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1999.
"Price-Level Targeting versus Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 277-95, August.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1996. "Price-level Targeting versus Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1510, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jiri Bohm & Jan Filacek, 2012.
"Price-Level Targeting–A Real Alternative to Inflation Targeting?,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(1), pages 2-26, February.
- Jiri Bohm & Jan Filacek & Ivana Kubicova & Romana Zamazalova, 2011. "Price-Level Targeting - A Real Alternative to Inflation Targeting?," Research and Policy Notes 2011/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Sahuc, J-G., 2004.
"Partial Indexation, Trend Inflation, and the Hybrid Phillips Curve,"
118, Banque de France.
- Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2006. "Partial indexation, trend inflation, and the hybrid Phillips curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 42-50, January.
- Jean-Guillaume Sahuc, 2004. "Partial Indexation, Trend Inflation, and the Hybrid Phillips Curve," Documents de recherche 04-05, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Gaspar, Vitor & Smets, Frank & Vestin, David, 2010. "Inflation Expectations, Adaptive Learning and Optimal Monetary Policy," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 19, pages 1055-1095 Elsevier.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson & Michael Woodford, 2003. "The Zero Bound on Interest Rates and Optimal Monetary Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(1), pages 139-235.
- Nessén, Marianne & Vestin, David, 2000.
"Average Inflation Targeting,"
Working Paper Series
119, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Carl E. Walsh, 2011. "The Future of Inflation Targeting," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(s1), pages 23-36, 09.
- Hatcher, Michael C., 2011. "Comparing inflation and price-level targeting: A comprehensive review of the literature," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2011/22, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Patrick Minford, 2004. "The A W Phillips memorial lecture to the New Zealand Association of Economists: Monetary Policy – should it move onto a price level target?," Macroeconomics 0409020, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:783. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.