Differentials in property Rights in a two-sector economy
This paper presents a two-sector economy. In a contested sector two agents struggle to appropriate the maximum possible fraction of a contestable output. In an uncontested sector, they hold secure property rights over the production of some goods. Agents split their resource endowment between “butter”, “guns” and “ice-cream”. The latter denote productive activities secure from appropriation. It is shown how improvements in productivity can countervail destructive impact of continuous conflicts. Eventually, the basic model is extended to consider a government and a rival group. A redistributive government can boost production in the uncontested sector, but at a higher level of “guns”.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-d-economie-politique.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., 1999.
"Insecurity and the Pattern of Trade: An Empirical Investigation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
418, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Aug 2000.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 2002. "Insecurity And The Pattern Of Trade: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 342-352, May.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel, 2003.
"On the Stability of Group Formation: Managing the Conflict Within,"
0312005, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 2004.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel, 2004. "On the Stability of Group Formation: Managing the Conflict Within," Conflict Management and Peace Science, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 21(1), pages 43-68, February.
- Raul Caruso, 2004. "A Trade Institution as a Peaceful Institution?," Others 0406003, EconWPA, revised 15 Dec 2004.
- Skaperdas, S., 1991.
"Cooperation, Conflict And Power In The Absence Of Property Rights,"
90-91-06a, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Skaperdas, Stergios, 1992. "Cooperation, Conflict, and Power in the Absence of Property Rights," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 720-39, September.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2008.
"Voracious Transformation of a Common Natural Resource into Productive Capital,"
OxCarre Working Papers
002, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2010. "Voracious Transformation Of A Common Natural Resource Into Productive Capital," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(2), pages 365-381, 05.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1987. "Strategic Behavior in Contests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 891-98, December.
- Anderton, Charles H & Anderton, Roxane A & Carter, John R, 1999. "Economic Activity in the Shadow of Conflict," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(1), pages 166-79, January.
- Mehlum,H. & Moene,K. & Torvik,R., 2000.
"Predator or prey? : parasitic enterprises in economic development,"
27/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Mehlum, Halvor & Moene, Karl & Torvik, Ragnar, 2003. "Predator or prey?: Parasitic enterprises in economic development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 275-294, April.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Francois, Patrick, 2000. "Rent-seeking and resource booms," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 527-542, April.
- Kjell Hausken, 2006. "The Stability Of Anarchy And Breakdown Of Production," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 589-603.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- De Luca, Giacomo & Sekeris, Petros, 2009.
"Land Inequality and Conflict Intensity,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009
5, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Kjell Hausken, 2004. "Mutual Raiding of Production and the Emergence of Exchange," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(4), pages 572-586, October.
- McDougal Topher L, 2009. "The Liberian State of Emergency: What Do Civil War and State-Led Industrialization Have in Common?," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 14(3), pages 1-28, March.
- Christian Riis & Derek J. Clark, 1997. "Contest success functions: an extension," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(1), pages 201-204.
- Garfinkel, Michelle R. & Skaperdas, Stergios, 2007.
"Economics of Conflict: An Overview,"
Handbook of Defense Economics,
- Raul Caruso, 2007.
"Continuing Conflict and Stalemate: A note,"
AccessEcon, vol. 4(17), pages 1-8.
- Raul Caruso, 2010. "Butter, Guns And Ice-Cream Theory And Evidence From Sub-Saharan Africa," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 269-283.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel & Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2005.
"Globalization and Domestic Conflict,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1510, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel & Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2005. "Globalization and Domestic Conflict," International Trade 0507005, EconWPA.
- Michelle R. Garfinkel & Stergios Skaperdas & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2006. "Globalization and Domestic Conflict," Working Papers 050601, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Magnus Hoffmann, 2010. "Enforcement of property rights in a barter economy," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 34(2), pages 249-263, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:17:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matthew J. Baker, 2003. "An Equilibrium Conflict Model of Land Tenure in Hunter-Gatherer Societies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 124-173, February.
- Grossman, Herschel I & Kim, Minseong, 1995. "Swords or Plowshares? A Theory of the Security of Claims to Property," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1275-88, December.
- Torvik, Ragnar, 2002. "Natural resources, rent seeking and welfare," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 455-470, April.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1989. "Conflict and rent-seeking success functions: Ratio vs. difference models of relative success," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 101-112, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:repdal:redp_218_0257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.