La dollarisation intégrale : une option monétaire de dernier ressort pour l'Amérique latine ?
This article will examine the question of complete dollarization in Latin America. Because of the opportunity cost of dollarization, replacing a national currency with a foreign currency is a solution of last resort to the financial instability of Latin American economies. To clarify the discussion, a typology of dollarization regimes is drawn up in order to make an inventory of officially dollarized countries and territories. To determine what is at stake in such decisions, advantage cost analysis mentions, first of all, the expected benefits highlighted by the advocates of full dollarization. An examination of its potential impact will then allow us to evaluate the induced costs of the disappearance of national currencies. Finally, by looking at Latin American countries which have selected this monetary option, the limits of adopting such a solution are mentioned, particularly by the fact that the disappearance of national currencies leads to the loss of a powerful symbol of national identity.
Volume (Year): 130 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-mondes-en-developpement.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-1025, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan Luis Moreno-Villalaz, 1999. "Lessons from the Monetary Experience of Panama: A Dollar Economy with Financial Integration," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 18(3), pages 421-439, Winter.
- Berg, Andrew & Borensztein, Eduardo & Mauro, Paolo, 2002. "An evaluation of monetary regime options for Latin America," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 213-235, December.
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "An Evaluation of Monetary Regime Options for Latin America," Working Papers 67, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "An Evaluation of Monetary Regime Options for Latin America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 178, Central Bank of Chile.
- Andrew Berg & Paolo Mauro & Eduardo Borensztein, 2002. "An Evaluation of Monetary Regime Options for Latin America," IMF Working Papers 02/211, International Monetary Fund.
- Gruben, William C. & Wynne, Mark A. & Zarazaga, Carlos E., 2001. "Dollarization and monetary unions: implementation guidelines," Working Papers 0105, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- William C. Gruben & Mark A. Wynne & Carlos E.J.M. Zarazaga, 2001. "Dollarization and monetary unions: implementation guidelines," Center for Latin America Working Papers 0201, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Francois R. Velde & Marcelo Veracierto, 2000. "Dollarization in Argentina," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 24-37.
- Francois R. Velde & Marcelo Veracierto, 1999. "Dollarization in Argentina," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jun.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1982. "Seigniorage and the Case for a National Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 295-313, April.
- Chang, Roberto & Velasco, Andres, 2000. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-34, May.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1997. "Financial fragility and the exchange rate regime," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 97-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," NBER Working Papers 6469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," Working Papers 98-05, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Todd Keister, 2001. "Dollarization as a monetary arrangement for emerging market economies," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov., pages 29-40.
- repec:cto:journl:v:20:y:2000:i:2:p:179-213 is not listed on IDEAS
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 2001. "Capital Markets and the Exchange Rate with Special Reference to the Dollarization Debate in Latin America," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 312-334, May.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2001. "Capital markets and the exchange rate with special reference to the dollarization debate in Latin America," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 312-338.
- Adam Bennett & Eduardo Borensztein & Tomás J. T. Baliño, 1999. "Monetary Policy in Dollarized Economies," IMF Occasional Papers 171, International Monetary Fund.
- Henri Bourguinat & Larbi Dohni, 2002. "La dollarisation comme solution en dernier ressort," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(1), pages 57-96. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:meddbu:med_130_0015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.