Binding Constraints and Second-Best Strategies in Endogenous Growth Models with Public Finance
This paper uses an endogenous growth model with public finance to test whether alleviating the most binding constraint to growth corresponds to the optimal fiscal policy adjustment. It makes two contributions: first, it shows that this strategy is optimal if there is only one policy adjustment which alleviates the most binding constraint. When there are several, some of them may in fact reduce growth. The second contribution is therefore to develop a simple guiding principle for this situation: we show that it is likely optimal to adopt the policy adjustment which alleviates the most and worsens the least binding constraint.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 1 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jgd|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florian Misch & Norman Gemmell & Richard Kneller, 2013.
"Growth and Welfare Maximization in Models of Public Finance and Endogenous Growth,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 15(6), pages 939-967, December.
- Florian Misch & Norman Gemmell & Richard Kneller, "undated". "Growth and Welfare Maximization in Models of Public Finance and Endogenous Growth," Discussion Papers 08/09, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Misch, Florian & Gemmell, Norman & Kneller, Richard, 2011. "Growth and welfare maximization in models of public finance and endogenous growth," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-041, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Heng-fu, Zou, 1996. "The composition of public expenditure and economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 313-344, April.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Vinaya Swaroop & Heng-fu Zou, 1996. "The composition of public expenditure and economic growth," CEMA Working Papers 77, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Michael Kremer, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-575.
- Futagami, Koichi & Morita, Yuichi & Shibata, Akihisa, 1993. " Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Public Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 607-625, December.
- Florian Misch & Norman Gemmell & Richard Kneller, "undated". "Business Perceptions, Fiscal Policy and Growth," Discussion Papers 08/10, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 103-126, October.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Charles I. Jones, 2008. "Intermediate Goods, Weak Links, and Superstars: A Theory of Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 13834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tatsuo Hatta, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1986. "Welfare effects of changing commodity tax rates toward uniformity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 99-112, February.
- Tsoukis, Chris & Miller, Nigel J., 2003. "Public services and endogenous growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 297-307, April.
- Clague, Christopher K., 1991. "Factor proportions, relative efficiency and developing countries' trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 357-380, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)