Infrastructure Investment and Maintenance Expenditure: Optimal Allocation Rules in a Growing Economy
This paper studies the allocation of public expenditure between infrastructure investment and maintenance in an endogenous growth framework. In the basic model maintenance affects both the durability and efficiency of public capital. The balanced growth path is derived and transitional dynamics associated with a revenue-neutral increase in spending on maintenance are analyzed. The growth-maximizing tax rate and share of infrastructure investment are then obtained. The model is then extended to account for the possibility that public spending on maintenance affects also the durability of private capital. Implications for optimal policies are also analyzed.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marrero, Gustavo A. & Novales, Alfonso, 2005.
"Growth and welfare: Distorting versus non-distorting taxes,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 403-433, September.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Alfonso Novales, 2001. "Growth and welfare: Distorting versus non-distorting taxes," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0105, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Alfonso Novales, 2003. "Growth and Welfare: Distorting versus Non-Distorting Taxes," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0302, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Hung, Fu-Sheng, 2005. "Optimal composition of government public capital financing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 704-723, December.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Kalyvitis, Sarantis, 2004. "On the macroeconomic implications of maintenance in public capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 695-712, March.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1997. "Fiscal Policy In A Growing Economy With Public Capital," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 615-639, September.
- Tsoukis, Chris & Miller, Nigel J., 2003. "Public services and endogenous growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 297-307, April.
- Santanu Chatterjee & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 2005. "Financing Public Investment through Foreign Aid: Consequences for Economic Growth and Welfare," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 20-44, 02.
- Rioja, Felix K., 1999. "Productiveness and welfare implications of public infrastructure: a dynamic two-sector general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 387-404, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)