Local Price Competition: The Case of Swedish Food Retailers
Swedish food prices have been an issue many years resulting in a number of studies by the Swedish Competition Authority. This paper sheds new light on the competitive situation by using a detailed dataset covering all Swedish food retailers. The dataset allows an assessment of the importance of price competition as well as whether the market is local or global. The results are unambiguous, and suggest that competition is substantial, but that it wears off quickly. The implications are that a variation in competition may be an important explanation for price variations within Sweden, and that the disciplinary effect of new formats focusing on low prices may be substantial.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jafio|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lundberg, Johan & Lundberg, Sofia, 2010.
"Retailer Choice and Loyalty Schemes - Evidence from Sweden,"
Umeå Economic Studies
801, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Johan Lundberg & Sofia Lundberg, 2010. "Retailer choice and loyalty schemes—evidence from Sweden," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 137-146, October.
- Lundberg, Johan & Lundberg, Sofia, 2010. "Retailer Choice and Loyalty Schemes - Evidence from Sweden," Umeå Economic Studies 34, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik G. & Gielens, Katrijn & Verboven, Frank, 2008.
"Intra- and Inter-Format Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kathleen Cleeren & Frank Verboven & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Katrijn Gielens, 2010. "Intra- and Interformat Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 456-473, 05-06.
- Richard J. Volpe III & Nathalie Lavoie, 2006.
"The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England,"
2006-8, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Richard J. Volpe & Nathalie Lavoie, 2008. "The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 4-26.
- Dieter Pennerstorfer, 2009. "Spatial price competition in retail gasoline markets: evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 43(1), pages 133-158, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bjafio:v:10:y:2012:i:1:n:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.