Dealing with a banking crisis: what lessons can be learned from Japan’s experience?
This article examines Japan’s policies in dealing with its banking crisis during the 1991–2004 period, in order to draw lessons for policymakers today. Japan’s policy choices reflected a difficult trade-off between the need to contain moral hazard on the one hand, and the need to limit systemic risk on the other. The resolution of the crisis ultimately required recapitalising banks and resolving uncertainty over banks’ asset valuations.
Volume (Year): 54 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 1999.
"The Japanese Banking Crisis: Where Did It Come From and How Will It End?,"
NBER Working Papers
7250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 2000. "The Japanese Banking Crisis: Where Did It Come From and How Will It End?," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1999, Volume 14, pages 129-212 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008.
"Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010. "Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Kazuo Ueda, 2011.
"Deleveraging and Monetary Policy: Japan since the 1990s and the United States since 2007,"
CIRJE-F-828, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Kazuo Ueda, 2012. "Deleveraging and Monetary Policy: Japan since the 1990s and the United States since 2007," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 177-202, Summer.
- Kazuo Ueda, 2012. "Deleveraging and Monetary Policy: Japan since the 1990s and the United States since 2007," CARF F-Series CARF-F-283, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Prasanna Gai & Andrew G Haldane & Sujit Kapadia & Benjamin Nelson, 2013. "Bank Funding and Financial Stability," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Alexandra Heath & Matthew Lilley & Mark Manning (ed.), Liquidity and Funding Markets Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Kapan, Tümer & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013.
"Balance sheet strength and bank lending during the global financial crisis,"
33/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- TÃ¼mer Kapan & Camelia Minoiu, 2013. "Balance Sheet Strength and Bank Lending During the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Mitsuhiro Fukao, 2003.
"Financial Sector Profitability and Double-Gearing,"
in: Structural Impediments to Growth in Japan, pages 9-36
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Mitsuhiro FUKAO, 2007. "Financial Crisis and the Lost Decade," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 2(2), pages 273-297.
- Magnus Blomström & Jennifer Corbett & Fumio Hayashi & Anil Kashyap, 2003. "Structural Impediments to Growth in Japan," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blom03-1, December.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2006.
"Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
12129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2008. "Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1943-77, December.
- Arrowsmith, Martin & Griffiths, Martin & Franklin, Jeremy & Wohlmann, Evan & Young, Garry & Gregory, David, 2013. "SME forbearance and its implications for monetary and financial stability," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 53(4), pages 296-303.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:qbullt:0130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Group)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.