Implizite Einkommensteuer als Messlatte für die aktuellen Rentenreformvorschläge
The rate of return in a PAYG pension system is typically lower than in a funded system. This lower rate of return generates a loss for the contributors which basically acts like an implicit income tax. In this paper, we argue that the implicit income tax is an excellent measure with which to evaluate the upcoming pension crisis in Germany and that it is also much better suited than other measures (such as the contribution rate, the pension level or the rate of return) to understand the impact of various reform scenarios. We also calculate the development of the implicit tax for prominent reform proposals in Germany. Copyright Verein fü Socialpolitik und Blackwell Publishers Ltd 2000
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 1 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6493|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6493|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Marcel Thum, 1999.
"Gesetzliche Rentenversicherung: Prognosen im Vergleich,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(1), pages 104-140, March.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999. "Gesetzliche Rentenversicherung: Prognosen im Vergleich," Munich Reprints in Economics 19871, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J., 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
3451400, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Schnabel, Reinhold, 1997. "Rates of Return of the German Pay-As-You-Go Pension System," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 98-56, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Homburg, Stefan, 1997.
"Old-age Pension Systems: A Theoretical Evaluation,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 233-246.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "Pension Reform and Demographic Crisis: Why a Funded System is Needed and why it is not Needed," CESifo Working Paper Series 195, CESifo Group Munich.
- Homburg, Stefan & Richter, Wolfram, 1990. "Eine effizienzorientierte Reform der GRV," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 183-191..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:perwir:v:1:y:2000:i:4:p:453-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.