Smoothing the Implicit Tax Rate in a Pay-as-you-go Pension System
In this paper, we analyze how the implicit tax rate can be smoothed in a pay-as-you-go system if life expectancy increases or if the rate of population growth declines. We show that generation-specific contribution or replacement rates are necessary to smooth the implicit tax rate. Partial funding of the pension system is indispensable if the rate of population growth falls. If life expectancy increases, the contribution rate fluctuates and may not converge to a new steady state value unless funded elements are introduced.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 57 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Homburg, Stefan & Richter, Wolfram, 1990. "Eine effizienzorientierte Reform der GRV," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 183-191..
- Breyer, Friedrich & Kifmann, Mathias & Stolte, Klaus, 1997. "Rentenzugangsalter und Beitragssatz zur Rentenversicherung," Discussion Papers, Series II 332, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Blanchet, Didier & Kessler, Denis, 1991. "Optimal Pension Funding with Demographic Instability and Endogenous Returns on Investment," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 137-54, May.
- Kifmann, Mathias & Schindler, Dirk, 2000. "Demographic changes and the implicit tax rate in a pay-as-you-go pension system," Discussion Papers, Series I 308, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(200105)57:3_261:stitri_2.0.tx_2-b. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.