A Note on the Tax Rate implicit in Contributions to Pay-as-you-go Public Pension Systems
This is a paper about the (wage) tax implicit in contributions to pay-as-you- go pension systems. I begin by addressing the implicit life-cycle tax rate. It is shown that a popular rule of thumb for "back of the envelope" computations of the proportion of pension contributions constituting a tax is flawed. In a highly stylised model, however, simple algebra suffices to compute implicit tax rates, and the results tally well with existing estimates. I then turn to the implicit tax on current wages created by paygo pension systems. Intuition, formal analysis and numerical examples are provided to show that this tax rate is likely to fall through-out a contributor's working life, and that it may in fact become negative. I explain asymmetries between the growth of per capita wages and population growth, which combine to constitute the aggregate rate of return on paygo contributions.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 57 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1997.
"The Value of Children and Immigrants in a Pay-As-You-Go Pension System: A Proposal for a Partial Transition to a Funded System,"
NBER Working Papers
6229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "The Value of Children and Immigrants in a Pay-As-You-Go Pension System: A Proposal For a Partial Transition to a Funded System," CEPR Discussion Papers 1734, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Welch, Finis, 1998. "Perspectives on the Social Security Crisis and Proposed Solutions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 142-50, May.
- Schnabel, Reinhold, 1998. "Rates of return of the German pay-as-you-go pension system," Papers 98-56, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Werding, Martin, 1998. "Zur Rekonstruktion des Generationenvertrages," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 3, number urn:isbn:9783161468896, January.
- Homburg, Stefan & Richter, Wolfram, 1990. "Eine effizienzorientierte Reform der GRV," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 183-191..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(200009)57:1_63:anottr_2.0.tx_2-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.