Policy Measures to Alleviate Foreign Currency Liquidity Shortages under Aggregate Risk with Moral Hazard
During the recent global financial crisis, some central banks introduced two innovative cross-border operations to deal with the problems of foreign currency liquidity shortages: domestic liquidity operations using cross-border collaterals and operations for supplying foreign currency based on standing swap lines among central banks. We show theoretically that central banks improve the efficiency of equilibrium under foreign currency liquidity shortages by those two innovative temporary policy measures.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 64 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1352-4739|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1352-4739|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James T. E. Chapman & Antoine Martin, 2007.
"Rediscounting under aggregate risk with moral hazard,"
296, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- James T.E. Chapman & Antoine Martin, 2013. "Rediscounting under Aggregate Risk with Moral Hazard," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(4), pages 651-674, 06.
- James T. E. Chapman & Antoine Martin, 2007. "Rediscounting Under Aggregate Risk with Moral Hazard," Staff Working Papers 07-51, Bank of Canada.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Craig Kennedy & Jason Miu, 2011.
"Central bank dollar swap lines and overseas dollar funding costs,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 3-20.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Craig Kennedy & Jason Miu, 2010. "Central Bank Dollar Swap Lines and Overseas Dollar Funding Costs," NBER Working Papers 15763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Craig Kennedy & Jason Miu, 2010. "Central bank dollar swap lines and overseas dollar funding costs," Staff Reports 429, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2009.
"Lenders of Last Resort in a Globalized World,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
09-E-18, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Naohiko Baba & Frank Packer, 2009.
"From turmoil to crisis: dislocations in the FX swap market before and after the failure of Lehman Brothers,"
BIS Working Papers
285, Bank for International Settlements.
- Baba, Naohiko & Packer, Frank, 2009. "From turmoil to crisis: Dislocations in the FX swap market before and after the failure of Lehman Brothers," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1350-1374, December.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2008.
"A Black Swan in the Money Market,"
NBER Working Papers
13943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2009. "A black swan in the money market," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- John C. Williams & John B. Taylor, 2009. "A Black Swan in the Money Market," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 58-83, January.
- John Oâ€™Neill, 2009. "Market," Chapters, in: Handbook of Economics and Ethics, chapter 42 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2001.
"Global Implications of Self-Oriented National Monetary Rules,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt6412m5b7, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 2002. "Global Implications of Self-Oriented National Monetary Rules," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 503-535.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 2003. "Global Implications of Self-Oriented National Monetary Rules," Macroeconomics 0303018, EconWPA.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 2001. "Global Implications of Self-Oriented National Monetary Rules," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C01-120, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2001. "Global Implications of Self-Orientated National Monetary Rules," CEPR Discussion Papers 2856, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 2009. "Payments Settlement: Tiering in Private and Public Systems," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(5), pages 855-884, 08.
- McAndrews, James J. & Sarkar, Asani & Wang, Zhenyu, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Sep 2015.
- James Chapman & Jonathan Chiu & Miguel Molico, 2008.
"A Model of Tiered Settlement Networks,"
Staff Working Papers
08-12, Bank of Canada.
- Xavier Freixas, 2009.
"Monetary policy in a systemic crisis,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(4), pages 630-653, Winter.
- Fabio Castiglionesi, 2013. "Financial Intermediation and Liquidity," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 1, pages 7-36, January-M.
- Antoine Martin, 2009. "Reconciling Bagehot and the Fed's Response to September 11," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(2-3), pages 397-415, 03.
- Freeman, Scott, 1999. "Rediscounting under aggregate risk," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 197-216, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jecrev:v:64:y:2013:i:4:p:504-536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.