Effects of Recent Carrot-and-Stick Policy Initiatives on Private Health Insurance Coverage in Australia
The Australian government implemented a sequence of new policies during 1997-2000 and raised the take-up rate of private health insurance (PHI) by 35 per cent. Because they were implemented sequentially, their individual effectiveness is not quite clear. We isolate the effects of Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) introduced at the last stage of the sequence using a counterfactual analysis of PHI demand with and without the new policies. Unlike earlier studies which attributed the bulk of the increase in PHI coverage to LHC, we find LHC may only account for as low as 42 per cent and no more than 75 per cent of the increase. Copyright 2005 The Economic Society Of Australia.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 81 (2005)
Issue (Month): 254 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122|
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0249
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0013-0249|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ángel Marcos Vera-Hernández, 1999. "Duplicate coverage and demand for health care. The case of Catalonia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 579-598.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2007.
"How effective is “lifetime health cover” in raising private health insurance coverage in Australia? An assessment using regression discontinuity,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(11), pages 1361-1374.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2004. "How Effective is Lifetime Health Cover in Raising Private Health Insurance Coverage in Australia? An Assessment Using Regression Discontinuity," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2004n33, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- H.E. Frech Iii & Sandra Hopkins & Garry Macdonald, 2003. "The Australian Private Health Insurance Boom: Was It Subsidies Or Liberalised Regulation?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 22(1), pages 58-64, 03.
- Cameron, A. Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K., 1991. "The role of income and health risk in the choice of health insurance : Evidence from Australia," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-28, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)