Have public bailouts made banks' loan books safer?
In response to the financial crisis, the authorities in a number of countries used public funds to recapitalise their banks. Did a reduction of risk in banks' lending follow these rescue operations? To help answer this question, we analyse the balance sheets and syndicated loan signings of 87 large internationally active banks. As loan signing volumes started diminishing across the board in 2009, our evidence shows that rescued banks did not reduce the risk of their new lending significantly more than non-rescued banks. Our results are relevant for the ongoing assessment of public bank rescue programmes.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009.
"An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes,"
Bank for International Settlements, number 48.
- Fabio Panetta & Thomas Faeh & Giuseppe Grande & Corrinne Ho & Michael King & Aviram Levy & Federico M. Signoretti & Marco Taboga & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 47, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Huang, Rocco & Ratnovski, Lev, 2010.
"The dark side of bank wholesale funding,"
Working Paper Series
1223, European Central Bank.
- Michael Brei & Blaise Gadanecz, 2012. "Public recapitalisations and bank risk: evidence from loan spreads and leverage," BIS Working Papers 383, Bank for International Settlements.
- Brei, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & von Peter, Goetz, 2013.
"Rescue packages and bank lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 490-505.
- Yener Altunbas & Simone Manganelli & David Marques-Ibanez, 2012.
"Bank Risk during the Financial Crisis: Do business models matter?,"
12003, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Altunbas, Yener & Marqués-Ibáñez, David & Manganelli, Simone, 2011. "Bank risk during the financial crisis: do business models matter?," Working Paper Series 1394, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:bisqtr:1209h. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.