Dividend Policy of the ISE Industrial Corporations: The Evidence Revisited (1986-2007)
The study aims to find out whether the disappearing dividends, the decline in the number of dividend payers, the size effect and the increasing dividend/earnings concentration found in several developed and emerging markets exist among the industrials traded in the ISE. The study also analyzes the effects of the reinstatement of mandatory dividend policy in 2003. Using univariate statistical tests, we detect a size effect as well as a high level but stable dividend/ earnings concentration. We find a significant decrease in the number of dividend payers, but we also detect an increasing level of real/nominal dividends driven by the high dividend/ earnings concentration and the increasing level of earnings. The reinstatement of the mandatory dividend policy regulation in 2003 has not been successful in changing the payout policy of industrials
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Atatürk Bulvarı No:191 B Blok 06680 KAVAKLIDERE/ANKARA|
Phone: +90-312-455 65 00
Fax: +90-312-424 08 77
Web page: http://www.bddk.org.tr/WebSitesi/turkce/Raporlar/BDDK_Dergi/BDDK_Dergi.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adaoglu, Cahit, 2000. "Instability in the dividend policy of the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) corporations: evidence from an emerging market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 252-270, November.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 2001.
"Disappearing dividends: changing firm characteristics or lower propensity to pay?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 3-43, April.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2001. "Disappearing Dividends: Changing Firm Characteristics Or Lower Propensity To Pay?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 14(1), pages 67-79.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Disappearing Dividends: Changing Firm Characteristics or Lower Propensity to Pay?."," CRSP working papers 509, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Denis, David J. & Osobov, Igor, 2008. "Why do firms pay dividends? International evidence on the determinants of dividend policy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 62-82, July.
- Mustafa Kemal Yilmaz, 2003. "An Analysis on the Dividend Policy of the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) Corporations: Cash Dividend-Industry Behavior Relation," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 7(25-26), pages 19-40.
- Amustafa Kemal Yilmaz & Guzhan Gulay, 2006. "Dividend Policies and Price-Volume Reactions to Cash Dividends on the Stock Market: Evidence from the Istanbul Stock Exchange," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 19-49, July.
- von Eije, Henk & Megginson, William L., 2008. "Dividends and share repurchases in the European Union," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 347-374, August.
- Varouj Aivazian & Laurence Booth & Sean Cleary, 2003. "Do Emerging Market Firms Follow Different Dividend Policies From U.S. Firms?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 371-387.
- Brandon Julio & David L. Ikenberry, 2004. "Reappearing Dividends," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 16(4), pages 89-100.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Skinner, Douglas J., 2004. "Are dividends disappearing? Dividend concentration and the consolidation of earnings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 425-456, June.
- Ferris, Stephen P. & Sen, Nilanjan & Yui, Ho Pei, 2006. "Are fewer firms paying more dividends?: The international evidence," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 333-362, October.
- Aivazian, Varouj & Booth, Laurence & Cleary, Sean, 2003. "Dividend policy and the organization of capital markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 101-121, April.
- Amustafa Kemal Yilmaz & Guzhan Gulay, 2006. "Dividend Policies and Price-Volume Reactions to Cash Dividends on the Stock Market: Evidence from the Istanbul Stock Exchange," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(4), pages 19-49, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdd:journl:v:2:y:2008:i:2:p:113-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zafer Kovancý)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.