Banking Efficiency And European Integration. Implications Of The Banking Reform In Romania
The aim of this study is to analyze the influence that the European integrationprocess has had over the banking efficiency levels in those countries which have recentlyexperienced more intensely the European integration process. For this purpose we haveanalyzed, using stochastic frontier models (SFA), applied to panel data, bank efficiency levelsof a sample of 240 banks from 12 countries during the period 2000 to 2008. The resultssustain the hypothesis that the European integration process has significantly improved theefficiency levels in these countries. However, the improvements haven‘t appeared simply bythe accession to the EU, but have appeared during the process. In order to illustrate the results, we have analyzed the banking system in Romania inthe context of the European integration, a country which because of the delay in the initiationof the reforms, despite belonging to the EU, it hasn‘t still recorded the essential improvementsin banking efficiency associated to this process that the other new members have alreadyexperienced.
Volume (Year): 2 (2011)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan & Paul Wachtel, 2004.
"Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-679, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2155-2178, August.
- Paul Wachtel & John Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," Working Papers 04-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 265-301, 02.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "Government Ownership of Banks," Working Paper Series rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Staikouras, Christos & Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia, 2008. "Bank efficiency in the new European Union member states: Is there convergence?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1156-1172, December.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fang, Yiwei & Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2011. "Bank efficiency in transition economies: recent evidence from South-Eastern Europe," Research Discussion Papers 5/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Mihai NITOI, 2009. "Efficiency in the Romanian Banking System: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 29(2(38)), pages 162-176, December.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Jim Griffin & Mark Steel, 2005.
"Bayesian Stochastic Frontier Analysis Using WinBUGS,"
- Jim Griffin & Mark Steel, 2007. "Bayesian stochastic frontier analysis using WinBUGS," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 163-176, June.
- H. Semih Yildirim & George Philippatos, 2007. "Efficiency of Banks: Recent Evidence from the Transition Economies of Europe, 1993-2000," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 123-143.
- Ovidiu Stoica & Bogdan Capraru, 2007. "The effects of the competition in the romanian banking system," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 54, pages 67-72, November.
- Laurent Weill, 2003. "Banking efficiency in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 569-592, 09.
- Marko Košak & Peter Zajc & Jelena Zorić, 2009. "Bank efficiency differences in the new EU member states," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 67-90, December.
- Clarke, George R. & Cull, Robert, 1998.
"Why privatize? : the case of Argentina's public provincial banks,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1972, The World Bank.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Cull, Robert, 1999. "Why Privatize? The Case of Argentina's Public Provincial Banks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 865-886, May.
- Andries, Alin Marius & Cocris, Vasile, 2010. "A Comparative Analysis of the Efficiency of Romanian Banks," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 54-75, December.
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Tanna, Sailesh & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2009. "The impact of banking regulations on banks' cost and profit efficiency: Cross-country evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 294-302, December.
- Gabriel Asaftei & Subal Kumbhakar, 2008. "Regulation and efficiency in transition: the case of Romanian banks," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 253-282, June.
- Adnan Kasman & Canan Yildirim, 2006. "Cost and profit efficiencies in transition banking: the case of new EU members," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1079-1090.
- Ngoc-Anh Vo Thi & Dev Vencappa, 2008. "Does the Entry Mode of Foreign Banks Matter for Bank Efficiency? Evidence from the Czech Republic,Hungary, and Poland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp925, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Anna Meyendorff & Anjan V. Thakor, 1997. "Romanian Financial System Reform," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 100, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:alu:journl:v:2:y:2011:i:13:p:25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan-Constantin Danuletiu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.