Expected Utility Analysis of Stocker Cattle Ownership Versus Contract Grazing in the Southeast
Stocker cattle ownership is compared to contract grazing using stochastic simulation. Returns are evaluated for both cattle owners and caretakers in contract grazing agreements. For caretakers, contract grazing is significantly less risky than cattle ownership. Slightly to moderately risk-averse caretakers could be expected to prefer some type of contract grazing to direct ownership of cattle. For cattle owners, contracting reduces risk only slightly while significantly reducing expected returns.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McBride, William D. & Key, Nigel D., 2003. "Economic And Structural Relationships In U.S. Hog Production," Agricultural Economics Reports 33971, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Anderson, John D. & Coble, Keith H. & Miller, J. Corey, 2003. "Using Private Risk Management Instruments To Manage Counter-Cyclical Payment Risks Under The New Farm Bill," 2003 Conference, April 21-22, 2003, St. Louis, Missouri 18975, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Teegerstrom, Trent & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Osborne, Phillip & Jones, Kezelee Q., 1997. "To Contract Or Not To Contract? A Decision Theory And Portfolio Analysis Of Cattle Contract Grazing," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(2), October.
- May, Gary & Jones, Rodney D. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2002. "Influence of Grazing Lease Terms on Economic Optimal Stocking Rates," Staff General Research Papers 10078, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Harrison, R. Wes & Bobst, Barry W. & Benson, Fred J. & Meyer, Lee, 1996. "Analysis Of The Risk Management Properties Of Grazing Contracts Versus Futures And Option Contracts," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Johnson, Frank & Spreen, Thomas H. & Hewitt, Timothy D., 1987. "A Stochastic Dominance Analysis Of Contract Grazing Feeder Cattle," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:43471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.