Macroeconomic Conditions And Agribusiness Profitability: An Analysis Using Pooled Data
Theoretical and empirical insights into the linkages between firm profitability and macroeconomic conditions are developed for nineteen agribusinesses. The hypothesis investigated in this analysis is that firm financial performance is a function of firm specific factors and macroeconomic conditions common to all firms. Seemingly unrelated regression with an unequal number of observations is used to estimate macroeconomic linkages. Empirical results indicate that macroeconomic conditions have differing affects on firm profitability dependent on a firmÂ’s financial structure and the market segment in which it operates. Capital intensive industries and highly leveraged firms have higher business risk and are more susceptible to macroeconomic conditions.
Volume (Year): 01 (1998)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 1 (202) 429-1610
Web page: http://www.ifama.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Just, Richard E., 1982. "An investigation of the effect of monetary factors on agriculture," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 235-247.
- D. Lynn Forster, 1996. "Capital structure, business risk, and investor returns for agribusinesses," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 429-442.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1972. "Money, Income, and Causality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 540-52, September.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Estimation of seemingly unrelated regressions with unequal numbers of observations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 365-377, May.
- Bordo, Michael David, 1980. "The Effects of Monetary Change on Relative Commodity Prices and the Role of Long-Term Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1088-1109, December.
- Orden, David, 1986. "Money and Agriculture: The Dynamics of Money Financial Market-Agricultural Trade Linkages," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ifaamr:34310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.