Factors influencing adoption of livestock insurance by commercial dairy farmers in three Zobatat of Eritrea
A sample survey of 74 commercial dairy farmers was conducted between November 2002 and February 2003 in three Zobatat (zones) of Eritrea to identify factors that affect the adoption of livestock insurance. The results of a logit model indicate that formal education of the farmer and the farmer's awareness of livestock insurance increase the probability of insurance adoption, whereas farming experience, poor location and use of alternative risk management strategies, such as off-farm investments and farm enterprise diversification, reduce the probability of livestock insurance adoption. Further insight into the factors influencing farmers' adoption of livestock insurance may assist policy makers and the National Insurance Corporation of Eritrea in their future plans. Results of this study have some policy implications, such as the need for a variable rather than fixed insurance premium, improving the know-how of farmers concerning risk assessment, improving Zobatat' infrastructure and a need of a thorough study to be conducted on the demand for agricultural insurance in Eritrea.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nieuwoudt, W. Lieb, 2000. "An economic evaluation of a crop insurance programme for small-scale commercial farmers in South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 39(3), September.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Steven C. Blank & Jeffrey McDonald, 1996. "Preferences for crop insurance when farmers are diversified," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 583-592.
- Vandeveer, Monte L., 2001. "Demand for area crop insurance among litchi producers in northern Vietnam," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 173-184, November.
- Neil Esho & Anatoly Kirievsky & Damian Ward & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2003. "Law and the Demand for Property-Casualty Insurance Consumption," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2003-14, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Mario J. Miranda & Joseph W. Glauber, 1997. "Systemic Risk, Reinsurance, and the Failure of Crop Insurance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 206-215.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:agreko:31693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.