Savings and technology choice for risk averse farmers
Farmers in developing countries have limited opportunities for borrowing to even out variability associated with risky farm income, but they can save. A dynamic programming model of savings is presented in the current paper which examines optimal savings strategies for farmers, using a case study of integrated rice-shrimp farms in Vietnam. It is shown that when savings are accounted for, the expected utility ranking of different risky farm choices may not differ that much between farmers with different levels of risk aversion.
Volume (Year): 46 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce L. Gardner & Ramón López, 1996.
"The Inefficiency of Interest-Rate Subsidies in Commodity Price Stabilization,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 508-516.
- Gardner, Bruce L. & Lopez, Ramon, 1993. "The Inefficiency of Interest Rate Subsidies in Commodity Price Stabilization," Working Papers 197794, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Peter J. Barry & C. B. Baker & Luis R. Sanint, 1981. "Farmers' Credit Risks and Liquidity Management," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(2), pages 216-227.
- Fraser, Rob W., 1992. "An Analysis Of Willingness-To-Pay For Crop Insurance," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 36(01), April.
- Goetz, R U, 1993. "Land Allocation under Consideration of Weather-Induced Crop Yield Variations: Decision Support by a Crop Yield Simulation and Risk Analysis Model (ERM)," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(2), pages 199-221.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:118593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.