Economics in the Former Soviet Union
One of the most notable, but least discussed, aspects of the halting attempts during the past six years to reform the economies of the Soviet Union, and now those of its successor states, has been the prominent role played by professional economists. Not since the mid-1920s has the Soviet political leadership felt so strongly the need to draw upon the expertise of the economics profession to help determine its course of action. In this paper, we attempt to characterize the current state of economics in the former Soviet Union, investigate the implications that the condition of Soviet economics has for reform, and suggest possible future directions for the discipline. Our information comes from four main sources: professional publications of Soviet and Western economists, published remarks by Soviet economists, personal interviews and discussions which we conducted with young Soviet economists in the summers of 1990 and 1991, and a questionnaire administered to Soviet economists and graduate students in the Soviet Union.
Volume (Year): 6 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/jep/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sutela,Pekka, 1991. "Economic Thought and Economic Reform in the Soviet Union," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521389020, November.
- Sutela,Pekka, 1991. "Economic Thought and Economic Reform in the Soviet Union," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521380201, November.
- Vladimir G. Treml, 1969. "Interaction of Economic Thought and Economic Policy in the Soviet Union," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 187-216, Spring.
- Gerschenkron, Alexander, 1978. "Samuelson in Soviet Russia: A Report," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 560-73, June.
- Krueger, Anne O, et al, 1991. "Report of the Commission on Graduate Education in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1035-53, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:jecper:v:6:y:1992:i:2:p:137-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros)or (Michael P. Albert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.