Economics in the Former Soviet Union
One of the most notable, but least discussed, aspects of the halting attempts during the past six years to reform the economies of the Soviet Union, and now those of its successor states, has been the prominent role played by professional economists. Not since the mid-1920s has the Soviet political leadership felt so strongly the need to draw upon the expertise of the economics profession to help determine its course of action. In this paper, we attempt to characterize the current state of economics in the former Soviet Union, investigate the implications that the condition of Soviet economics has for reform, and suggest possible future directions for the discipline. Our information comes from four main sources: professional publications of Soviet and Western economists, published remarks by Soviet economists, personal interviews and discussions which we conducted with young Soviet economists in the summers of 1990 and 1991, and a questionnaire administered to Soviet economists and graduate students in the Soviet Union.
Volume (Year): 6 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/jep/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerschenkron, Alexander, 1978. "Samuelson in Soviet Russia: A Report," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 560-573, June.
- Krueger, Anne O, et al, 1991. "Report of the Commission on Graduate Education in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1035-1053, September.
- Sutela,Pekka, 1991. "Economic Thought and Economic Reform in the Soviet Union," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521389020, March.
- Vladimir G. Treml, 1969. "Interaction of Economic Thought and Economic Policy in the Soviet Union," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 187-216, Spring.
- Sutela,Pekka, 1991. "Economic Thought and Economic Reform in the Soviet Union," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521380201, March.