International Portfolio Allocation under Model Uncertainty
This paper revisits an old argument, hedging real exchange rate risk, as an explanation of the international home bias in equity. In a dynamic model, the relevant risk to be hedged is the long-run risk as opposed to the short-run risk. Domestic equity is indeed a good hedge with respect to long-run real-exchange-rate risk. Two new frameworks are able to explain a large share of the observed US home bias: a model with Hansen-Sargent preferences in which agents fear model misspecification and a model with Epstein-Zin preferences. These two models are also immune to the risk-free rate puzzle. (JEL C58, F31, G11, G15)
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aej-macro|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomasz Strzalecki, .
"Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Recursive Models of Ambiguity Aversion,"
8240, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Tomasz Strzalecki, 2013. "Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Recursive Models of Ambiguity Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(3), pages 1039-1074, 05.
- Strzalecki, Tomasz, 2013. "Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Recursive Models of Ambiguity Aversion," Scholarly Articles 12967691, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Robert Kollmann & Philippe Martin, 2007.
"International Portfolios with Supply, Demand and Redistributive Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
13424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Robert Kollmann & Philippe Martin, 2009. "International Portfolios with Supply, Demand and Redistributive Shocks," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2007, pages 231-263 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Robert Kollmann & Philippe Martin, 2009. "International portfolios with supply, demand and redistributive shocks," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert & Martin, Philippe, 2007. "International Portfolios with Supply, Demand and Redistributive Shocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 6482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Backus & Bryan Routledge & Stanley Zin, 2004.
"Exotic Preferences for Macroeconomists,"
NBER Working Papers
10597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harold L. Cole & Maurice Obstfeld, 1989.
"Commodity Trade and International Risk Sharing: How Much Do Financial Markets Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
3027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cole, Harold L. & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Commodity trade and international risk sharing : How much do financial markets matter?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 2005. "Robust estimation and control under commitment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 258-301, October.
- Giannis Vardas & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2004. "Uncertainty Aversion and Robust Portfolio Choices," Working Papers 0408, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Tomasz Strzalecki, 2011.
"Axiomatic Foundations of Multiplier Preferences,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
786969000000000126, David K. Levine.
- Riccardo Colacito & Mariano Croce, 2005.
"Risks For The Long Run And The Real Exchange Rate,"
2005 Meeting Papers
794, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pdjkuc9g821o6lsg is not listed on IDEAS
- Kollmann, Robert, 2006. "International Portfolio Equilibrium and the Current Account," CEPR Discussion Papers 5512, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael B. Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2008.
"Country portfolios in open economy macro models,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
09, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- David K. Backus & Federico Gavazzoni & Christopher Telmer & Stanley E. Zin, 2010. "Monetary Policy and the Uncovered Interest Parity Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 16218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1993.
"Aggregate Income Risks and Hedging Mechanisms,"
NBER Working Papers
4396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pdjkuc9g708n2m4m is not listed on IDEAS
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- International Portfolio Allocation under Model Uncertainty (AEJ:MA 2011) in ReplicationWiki
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:aejmac:v:4:y:2012:i:1:p:144-89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros)or (Michael P. Albert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.