The World Bank
Policy Research Working Paper Series
Contact information of The World Bank:
Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Roula I. Yazigi)
Series handle: repec:wbk:wbrwps
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
- 961 Economic development and the environment : conflict of complementarity?
by Beckerman, Wilfred
- 960 Agricultural pricing and environmental degradation
by Barbier, Edward B. & Burgess, Joanne C.
- 959 Waterborne diseases in Peru
by Webb, Sheila
- 958 EC Bananarama 1992 : the sequel - the EC Commission proposal
by Borrell, Brent & Maw-Cheng Yang
- 957 Carbon taxes, the greenhouse effect, and developing countries
by Shah, Anwar & Larsen, Bjorn
- 956 Regression estimates of per capital gross domestic product based on purchasing power parities
by Ahmad, Sultan
- 955 OECD fiscal policies and the relative prices of primary commodities
by Alogoskoufis, George & Varangis, Panos
- 954 How OECD policies affected Latin America in the 1980s
by Allen, Chris & Currie, David & Srinivasan, T. G. & Vines, David
- 953 The pedigree of IEC conversion factors for per capita GNP computations for the World Bank's operational outlines and atlas
by Hee, Michael
- 952 Unit costs, cost - effectiveness, and financing of nutrition interventions
by Horton, Susan
- 951 Piecemeal trade reform in partially liberalized economies : an evaluation for Turkey
by Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G.
- 950 Service : the new focus in international manufacturing and trade
by Peters, Hans Juergen
- 949 The impact of formal finance on the rural economy of India
by Binswanger, Hans & Khandker, Shahidur
- 948 Factors affecting private financial flows to Eastern Europe, 1989-91
by Mukherjee, Mohua
- 947 Strategies for creating transitional jobs during structural adjustment
by Mangum, Stephen L. & Mangum, Garth L. & Bowen, Janine
- 946 Retraining displaced workers : what can developing countries learn from OECD nations?
by Leigh, Duane E.
- 945 Managing the civil service : what LDCs can learn from developed country reforms
by Nunberg, Barbara
- 944 How public sector pay and employment affect labor markets : research issues
by Stevenson, Gail
- 943 Burden-sharing among official and private creditors
by Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo
- 942 Los Angeles, Mexico City, Cubatao, and Ankara - Efficient environmental regulation : case studies of urban air pollution
by Levinson, Arik & Shetty, Sudhir
- 941 Projecting the demographic impact of AIDS
by Bulatao, Rodolfo & Bos, Eduard
- 940 Private sector approaches to effective family planning
by Foreit, Karen G.
- 939 How macroeconomic policies affect project performance in the social sectors
by Kaufman, Daniel & Yan Wang
- 938 Health, government, and the poor : the case for the private sector
by Birdsall, Nancy & James, Estelle
- 937 How soft is the budget constraint for Yugoslav firms?
by Kraft, Evan & Vodopivec, Milan
- 936 Taxation, information asymmetries, and a firm's financing choices
by Lyon, Andrew
- 935 The precautionary demand for commodity stocks
by Boum-Jong Choe
- 934 Public hospital costs and quality in the Dominican Republic
by Lewis, Maureen A. & Sulvetta, Margaret B. & LaForgia, Gerard M.
- 933 Developing country capital structures and emerging stock markets
by Demirguc-Kunt, Asli
- 932 Interest rates, official lending, and the debt crisis : a reassessment
by Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica
- 931 How much to commit to an exchange rate rule : balancing credibility and flexibility
by Cukierman, Alex & Kiguel, Miguel A. & Liviatan, Nissan
- 930 Participatory development : myths and dilemmas
by Picciotto, Robert
- 929 Managing pollution control in Brazil : the potential use of taxes and fines by federal and state governments
by Estache, Antonio & Zheng, Kangbin
- 928 Pesticide externalities, comparative advantage, and commodity trade : cotton in Andhra Pradesh, India
by Kishor, Nalin M.
- 927 General equilibrium effects of investment incentives in Mexico
by Feltenstein, Andrew & Shah, Anwar
- 926 Options for reshaping the railway
by Moyer, Neil E. & Thompson, Louis S.
- 925 A general equilibrium based social policy model for Cote d'Ivoire
by Ngee-Choon Chia & Wahba, Sadek & Whalley, John
- 924 How reduced demand for children and access to family planning accelerated the fertility decline in Colombia
by Rofman, Rafael
- 923 Listening to firms : how to use firm-level surveys to assess constraints on private sector development
by Stone, Andrew H.W.
- 922 Central America at a crossroads
by Saborio, Sylvia & Michalopoulos, Constantine
- 921 Road infrastructure and economic development : some diagnostic indicators
by Queiroz, Cesar & Gautam, Surhid
- 920 Economic incentives and point source emissions : choice of modeling platform
by Kopp, Raymond J.
- 919 Fiscal and quasi - fiscal deficits, nominal and real : measurement and policy issues
by de Rezende Rocha, Roberto & Saldanha, Fernando
- 918 Tax evasion and tax reform in a low income economy : general equilibrium estimates for Madagascar
by de Melo, Jaime & Roland-Holst, David & Haddad, Mona
- 917 Creditor country regulations and commercial bank lending to developing countries
by Demirguc-Kunt, Asli
- 916 Measuring the risk of default in six highly indebted countries
by Chesney, Marc & Morisset, Jacques
- 915 Trade policy and exchange rate issues in the former Soviet Union
by Corden, W. Max
- 914 Health personnel development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Vaughan, Patrick J.
- 913 The women's development program in Rajasthan : a case study in group formation for women's development
by Das, Maitreyi
- 912 Understanding the investment cycle in adjustment programs : evidence from reforming economies
by Solimano, Andres
- 911 Does exchange rate volatility hinder export growth? Additional evidence
by Qian, Ying & Varangis, Panos
- 910 Policy issues in financial regulation
by Vittas, Dimitri
- 909 Parallel markets, the foreign exchange auction, and exchange rate unification in Zambia
by Aron, Janine & Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 908 Tax incentives, market power,and corporate investment : a rational expectations model applied to Pakistani and Turkish industries
by Rajagopal, Dagmar & Shah, Anwar
- 907 Institutional reform in emerging securities markets
by Pardy, Robert
- 906 Bulgaria's evolving legal framework for private sector development
by Gray, Cheryl W. & Ianachkov, Peter
- 905 Investing in all the people
by Summers, Lawrence H.
- 904 Economic growth and environmental quality : time series and cross-country evidence
by Shafik, Nemat & Bandyopadhyay, Sushenjit
- 903 The economic effects of minimum import prices : with an application to Uruguay
by Changanaqui, Federico & Messerlin, Patrick
- 902 Public sector"debt distress"in Argentina, 1988-89
by Beckerman, Paul
- 901 Opening the capital account : a survey of issues and results
by Hanson, James A.
- 900 The relationship between German banks and large German firms
by Harm, Christian
- 899 The financing of small firms in Germany
by Harm, Christian
- 898 Reforming finance in transitional socialist economies : avoiding the path from shell money to shell games
by Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross
- 897 Unemployment insurance for developing countries
by Hamermesh, Daniel S.
- 896 Achievement evaluation of Colombia's Escuela Nueva : is multigrade the answer?
by Psacharopoulos, George & Rojas, Carlos & Velez, Eduardo
- 895 How can debt swaps be used for development?
by Mukherjee, Mohua
- 894 Social indicators and productivity convergence in developing countries
by Ingram, Gregory
- 893 The evolving legal framework for private sector activity in Slovenia
by Gray, Cheryl W. & Stiblar, Franjo D.
- 892 Evaluating the asset based minimum tax on corporations : an option pricing approach
by Estache, Antonio & van Wijnbergen, Sweder
- 891 Public institutions and private transactions : the legal and regulatory environment for business private transactions in Brazil and Chile
by Stone, Andrew & Levy, Brian & Paredes, Ricardo
- 890 Population, health, and nutrition : fiscal 1991 sector review
by Vaillancourt, Denise & Nassim, Janet & Brown, Stacye
- 889 On-the-job improvements in teacher competence : policy options and their effects on teaching and learning in Thailand
by Raudenbush, Stephen W. & Eamsukkawat, Suwanna & Di-Ibor, Ikechuku & Kamali, Mohamed & Taoklam, Wimol
- 888 Transformation of agriculture in central Eastern Europe and the former USSR : major policy issues and perspectives
by Csaki, Csaba
- 887 Power sharing and pollution control : coordinating policies among levels of government
by Jack, William
- 886 Factors that affect short-term commercial bank lending to developing countries
by Gooptu, Sudarshan & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad
- 885 The impact of EC-92 on developing countries'trade : a dissenting view
by Hallett, A.J. Hughes
- 884 Intercommodity price transmittal : analysis offood markets in Ghana
by Alderman, Harold
- 883 Malaria : the impact of treated bed nets on childhood mortality in the Gambia
by Alonso, Pedro L. & Hill, Allan G. & David, Patricia H. & Fegan, Greg & Armstrong, Joanna R.M. & Francisco, Andreas & Cham, K. & Greenwood, Brian M.
- 882 Issues in reforming financial systems in Eastern Europe : the case of Bulgaria
by Thorne, Alfredo
- 881 Dual and multiple exchange rate systems in developing countries : some empirical evidence
by Ghei, Nita & Kiguel, Miguel A.
- 880 Exchange rate policy, the real exchange rate, and inflation : lessons from Latin America
by Kiguel, Miguel A.
- 879 Comprehensive water resources management : a concept paper
by Rogers, Peter
- 878 Adjustment and private investment in Kenya
by Matin, Kazi M. & Wasow, Bernard
- 877 Assessing gains in efficient production among China's industrial enterprises
by Jefferson, Gary H. & Wenyi Xu
- 876 Old debts and new beginnings : a policy choice in transitional socialist economies
by Levine, Ross & Scott, David
- 875 Rural finance in developing countries
by Yaron, Jacob
- 874 The trade restrictiveness index : an application to Mexican agriculture
by Anderson, James E. & Bannister, Geoffrey
- 873 Measure and interpretation of effective protection in the presence of high capital costs : evidence from India
by Ettori, Francois M.
- 872 Romania's evolving legal framework for private sector development
by Gray, Cheryl W. & Hanson, Rebecca J. & Ianachkov, Peter G.
- 871 The distribution of the benefits from social services in Indonesia, 1978-87
by van de Walle, Dominique
- 870 Economic shocks and the global environment
by McCarthy, F. Desmond & Dhareshwar, Ashok
- 869 Financing local government in Hungary
by Bird, Richard & Wallich, Christine
- 868 Mortality reductions from measles and tetanus immunization : a review of the evidence
by Koenig, Michael
- 867 The rationale and performance of personal pension plans in Chile
by Vittas, Dimitri & Iglesias, Augusto
- 866 Regulatory and institutional impacts of securities market computerization
by Pardy, Robert
- 865 Food security and health security : explaining the levels of nutrition in Pakistan
by Alderman, Harold & Garcia, Marito
- 864 Privatization of natural monopoly public enterprises : the regulation issue
by Bradburd, Ralph
- 863 Intergovernmental fiscal relations in China
by Bahl, Roy W. & Wallich, Christine
- 862 Higher education in Egypt
by Richards, Alan
- 861 Private saving in Mexico, 1980-90
by Arrau, Patricio & Oks, Daniel
- 860 The restrictiveness of the multi-fibre arrangement on Eastern European trade
by Erzan, Refik & Holmes, Christopher
- 859 Macroeconomic management and the black market for foreign exchange in Sudan
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 858 Contractual savings and emerging securities markets
by Vittas, Dimitri
- 857 The life insurance industry in the United States : an analysis of economic and regulatory issues
by Wright, Kenneth M.
- 856 Latin American women's earnings and participation in the labor force
by Psacharopoulos, George & Tzannatos, Zafiris
- 855 Sovereign debt : a primer
by Eaton, Jonathan
- 854 Is there a case for an optimal export tax on perennial crops?
by Takamasa Akiyama
- 853 Policy uncertainty, information asymmetries, and financial intermediation
by Caprio, Gerard
- 852 How health insurance affects the delivery of health care in developing countries
by Kutzin, Joseph & Barnum, Howard
- 851 Sources of World Bank estimates of current mortality rates
by Bos, Eduard & Vu, My T. & Stephens, Patience W.
- 850 Fiscal adjustment and the real exchange rate : the case of Bangladesh
by Matin, Kazi M.
- 849 Financial structures and economic development
by Levine, Ross
- 848 How EC 1992 and reforms of the common agricultural policy would affect developing countries'grain trade
by Ingco, Merlinda D. & Mitchell, Donald O.
- 847 Coping with the legacies of subsidized mortgage credit in Hungary
by Sagari, Silvia B. & Chiquier, Loic
- 846 Incorporating cost and cost - effectiveness into the development of safe motherhood programs
by Forgy, Larry & Measham, Diana M. & Tinker, Anne G.
- 845 Inflation stabilization in Turkey : an application of the RMSM-X model
by Everaert, Luc
- 844 Heterogeneity, distribution, and cooperation in common property resource management
by Kanbur, Ravi
- 843 How financial markets affect long run growth : a cross country study
by Ghani, Ejaz
- 842 Capital flows to South Asian and ASEAN countries : trends, determinants, and policy implications
by Husain, Ishrat & Kwang W. Jun
- 841 How access to contraception affects fertility and contraceptive use in Tunisia
by Cochrane, Susan & Guilkey, David K.
- 840 Public sector debt, fiscal deficits, and economic adjustment : a comparative study of six EMENA countries
by Thorne, Alfredo E. & Dastgheib, Azita
- 839 Regional integration under VERs : when trade diversion is unambiguously beneficial
- 838 Measuring trade policy intervention : a cross-country index of relative price dispersion
by Aitken, Brian J.
- 837 Manpower planning in a market economy with labor market signals
by Van Adams, Arvil & Middleton, John & Ziderman, Adrian
- 836 Sources of income inequality in rural Pakistan : a decomposition analysis
by Adams, Richard H. Jr. & Alderman, Harold
- 835 Commodity stabilization funds
by Arrau, Patricio & Claessens, Stijn
- 834 Scenarios for growth in the 1990s
by Fardoust, Shahrokh & Jian-Ping Zhou
- 833 Stabilization and growth recovery in Mexico : lessons and dilemmas
by Oks, Daniel F.
- 832 Sustainability and the economics of assuring assets for future generations
by Norgaard, Richard B.
- 831 Real overvaluation, terms of trade shocks, and the cost to agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 830 Fixed parity of the exchange rate and economic performance in the CFA zone : a comparative study
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Majd, Nader
- 829 Regulation of securities markets : some recent trends and their implications for emerging markets
by Chuppe, Terry M. & Atkin, Michael
- 828 How the macroeconomic environment affects human resource development
by Van Adams, Arvil & Goldfarb, Robert & Kelly, Terence
- 827 Free trade agreements with the United States : what's in it for Latin America?
by Erzan, Refik & Yeats, Alexander
- 826 Do workers in the informal sector benefit from cuts in the minimum wage?
by Fiszbein, Ariel
- 825 The empty opportunity : local control of secondary schools and student achievement in the Philippines
by Lockheed, Marlaine E. & Qinghua Zhao
- 824 Back of the envelope estimates of environmental damage costs in Mexico
by Margulis, Sergio
- 823 How private enterprise organized agricultural markets in Kenya
by Jaffee, Steven M.
- 822 Paternalism and the alleviation of poverty
by Jesurun-Clements, Nancy
- 821 Wages and unemployment in Poland : recent developments and policy issues
by Coricelli, Fabrizio & Revenga, Ana
- 820 Taxation in decentralizing socialist economies : the case of China
by Heady, Christopher J. & Mitra, Pradeep K.
- 819 Financial indicators and growth in a cross section of countries
by King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross
- 818 Do rules control power? GATT articles and arrangements in the Uruguay Round
by Finger, Michael J. & Dhar, Sumana
- 1071 Congestion charging mechanisms for roads : an evaluation of current practice
by Hau, Timothy D.
- 1070 Economic fundamentals of road pricing : a diagrammatic analysis
by Hau, Timothy D.
- 1064 More evidence on income distribution and growth
by Clarke, George R. G.
- 1063 Mongolia - Privatization and system transformation in an isolated economy
by Denizer, Cevdet & Gelb, Alan
- 1062 Economic development, environmental regulation, and the international migration of toxic industrial pollution : 1960-88
by Lucas, Robert E.B. & Wheeler, David & Hettige, Hemamala
- 1061 Dynamic response to foreign transfers and terms-of-trade shocks in open economies
by Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis
- 1060 Economies of the former Soviet Union : an input-output approach to the 1987 national accounts
by Steinberg, Dmitri
- 1059 Political economy of policy reform in Turkey in the 1980s
by Ziya Onis & Webb, Steven B.
- 1058 The pricing of country funds and their role in capital mobilization for emerging economies
by Diwan, Ishac & Errunza, Vihang & Senbet, Lemma W.
- 1057 Measuring the incomes of economies of the former Soviet Union
by International Economics Department
- 1056 Earnings and education in Latin America : assessing priorities for schooling investments
by Psacharopoulos, George & Ying Chu Ng
- 1055 Wealth, weather risk, and the composition and profitability of agricultural investments
by Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P.
- 1054 Eastern Europe and Russian Federation - Distributional impact of cash and in-kind social transfers in Eastern Europe and Russia
by Milanovic, Branko
- 1053 Development of the Zimbabwe family planning program
by Zinanga, Alex F.
- 1052 A reappraisal of how oral rehydration therapy affected mortality in Egypt
by Rashad, Hoda
- 1051 The legal framework for private sector activity in the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic
by Gray, Cheryl W.
- 1050 Marginal income tax rates and economic growth in developing countries
by Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio
- 1049 Money demand and seignorage - maximizing inflation
by Easterly, William & Mauro, Paolo & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 1048 Targets and indicators in World Bank population projects
by Baldwin, George
- 1047 Cote d'Ivoire : private sector dynamics and constraints
by Rueda-Sabater, Enrique & Stone, Andrew
- 1046 World Bank project-financed research on population, health, and nutrition
by Gittinger, J. Price & Bradford, Carol
- 1045 Social gains from female education : a cross-national study
by Subbarao, Kalanidhi & Raney, Laura
- 1044 Hospital cost functions for developing countries
by Wagstaff, Adam & Barnum, Howard
- 1043 Deriving developing country repayment capacity from the market prices of sovereign debt
by Claessens, Stijn & Pennacchi, George
- 1042 Family planning success in two cities in Zaire
by Bertrand, Jane T. & Brown, Judith E.
- 1041 Family planning success stories in Bangladesh and India
by Nag, Moni
- 1040 Lessons of trade liberalization in Latin America for economies in transition
by de Melo, Jaime & Dhar, Sumana
- 1039 Education, externalities, fertility, and economic growth
by Weale, Martin
- 1038 Determinants of expatriate workers'remittances in North Africa and Europe
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & de Rezende Rocha, Robert
- 1037 Vocational secondary schooling, occupational choice, and earnings in Brazil
by Arriagada, Ana-Maria & Ziderman, Adrian
- 1036 Output decline in Hungary and Poland in 1990-91 : structural change and aggregate shocks
by Commander, Simon & Coricelli, Fabrizio
- 1035 How import protection affects the Philippines'motor vehicle industry
by Takacs, Wendy E.
- 1034 Revising financial sector policy in transitional socialist economies : will universal banks prove viable?
by Scott, David H.
- 1033 Latin America and the Caribbean region (and Northern America) population projections : 1992-93 edition
by My T. Vu & Bos, Eduard & Levin, Ann
- 1032 East Asia and Pacific region South Asia region population projections 1992-93 edition
by Bos, Eduard & Vu, My T. & Levin, Ann
- 1031 Measuring the possibilities of interfuel substitution
by Bacon, Robert
- 1030 Measuring the effects of urban transportation policies on the environment : a survey of models
by Krupnick, Alan J.
- 1029 Controlling tropical deforestation : an analysis of alternative policies
by Deacon, Robert T.
- 1028 Socioeconomic and ethnic determinants of grade repetition in Bolivia and Guatemala
by Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Psacharopoulos, George
- 1027 Lessons from bank privatization in Mexico
by Barnes, Guillermo
- 1026 Financial liberation and adjustment in Chile and New Zealand
by McNelis, Paul D. & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 1025 Openness and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa : evidence from time-series cross-country analysis
by Matin, Kazi M.
- 1024 An exact approach for evaluating the benefits from technological change
by Martin, Will & Alston, Julian M.
- 1023 Tariff index theory
by Anderson, James E.
- 1022 A new approach to evaluating trade policy
by Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter
- 1021 Measuring welfare changes from commodity price stabilization in small open economies
by Coleman, Jonathan R. & Jones, Chris
- 1020 Another look at population and global warming
by Birdsall, Nancy
- 1019 How effective are directed credit policies in the United States? A literature survey
by Schwarz, Anita M.
- 1018 Tariff andtax reform : do World Bank recommendations integrate revenue and protection objectives?
by Rajaram, Anand
- 1017 Rural poverty, migration, and the environment in developing countries : three case studies
by Bilsborrow, Richard E.
- 1016 Europe and Central Asia region Middle East and North Africa region population projects : 1992-93 edition
by My T. Vu & Bos, Eduard & Levin, Ann
- 1015 Benefit incidence analysis in developing countries
by Selden, Thomas M. & Wasylenko, Michael J.
- 1014 Ethnicity, education, and earnings in Bolivia and Guatemala
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 1013 The impact of Mexico's retraining program on employment and wages
by Riboud, Michelle & Hong Tan & Revenga, Ana
- 1012 The Brady Plan, the 1989 Mexican debt reduction agreement, and bank stock returns in the United States and Japan
by Unal, Haluk & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kwok-Wai Leung
- 1011 How tax incentives affect decisions to invest in developing countries
by Boadway, Robin & Shah, Anwar