The World Bank
Policy Research Working Paper Series
Contact information of The World Bank:
Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Roula I. Yazigi)
Series handle: repec:wbk:wbrwps
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
- 880 Exchange rate policy, the real exchange rate, and inflation : lessons from Latin America
by Kiguel, Miguel A.
- 879 Comprehensive water resources management : a concept paper
by Rogers, Peter
- 878 Adjustment and private investment in Kenya
by Matin, Kazi M. & Wasow, Bernard
- 877 Assessing gains in efficient production among China's industrial enterprises
by Jefferson, Gary H. & Wenyi Xu
- 876 Old debts and new beginnings : a policy choice in transitional socialist economies
by Levine, Ross & Scott, David
- 875 Rural finance in developing countries
by Yaron, Jacob
- 874 The trade restrictiveness index : an application to Mexican agriculture
by Anderson, James E. & Bannister, Geoffrey
- 873 Measure and interpretation of effective protection in the presence of high capital costs : evidence from India
by Ettori, Francois M.
- 872 Romania's evolving legal framework for private sector development
by Gray, Cheryl W. & Hanson, Rebecca J. & Ianachkov, Peter G.
- 871 The distribution of the benefits from social services in Indonesia, 1978-87
by van de Walle, Dominique
- 870 Economic shocks and the global environment
by McCarthy, F. Desmond & Dhareshwar, Ashok
- 869 Financing local government in Hungary
by Bird, Richard & Wallich, Christine
- 868 Mortality reductions from measles and tetanus immunization : a review of the evidence
by Koenig, Michael
- 867 The rationale and performance of personal pension plans in Chile
by Vittas, Dimitri & Iglesias, Augusto
- 866 Regulatory and institutional impacts of securities market computerization
by Pardy, Robert
- 865 Food security and health security : explaining the levels of nutrition in Pakistan
by Alderman, Harold & Garcia, Marito
- 864 Privatization of natural monopoly public enterprises : the regulation issue
by Bradburd, Ralph
- 863 Intergovernmental fiscal relations in China
by Bahl, Roy W. & Wallich, Christine
- 862 Higher education in Egypt
by Richards, Alan
- 861 Private saving in Mexico, 1980-90
by Arrau, Patricio & Oks, Daniel
- 860 The restrictiveness of the multi-fibre arrangement on Eastern European trade
by Erzan, Refik & Holmes, Christopher
- 859 Macroeconomic management and the black market for foreign exchange in Sudan
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 858 Contractual savings and emerging securities markets
by Vittas, Dimitri
- 857 The life insurance industry in the United States : an analysis of economic and regulatory issues
by Wright, Kenneth M.
- 856 Latin American women's earnings and participation in the labor force
by Psacharopoulos, George & Tzannatos, Zafiris
- 855 Sovereign debt : a primer
by Eaton, Jonathan
- 854 Is there a case for an optimal export tax on perennial crops?
by Takamasa Akiyama
- 853 Policy uncertainty, information asymmetries, and financial intermediation
by Caprio, Gerard
- 852 How health insurance affects the delivery of health care in developing countries
by Kutzin, Joseph & Barnum, Howard
- 851 Sources of World Bank estimates of current mortality rates
by Bos, Eduard & Vu, My T. & Stephens, Patience W.
- 850 Fiscal adjustment and the real exchange rate : the case of Bangladesh
by Matin, Kazi M.
- 849 Financial structures and economic development
by Levine, Ross
- 848 How EC 1992 and reforms of the common agricultural policy would affect developing countries'grain trade
by Ingco, Merlinda D. & Mitchell, Donald O.
- 847 Coping with the legacies of subsidized mortgage credit in Hungary
by Sagari, Silvia B. & Chiquier, Loic
- 846 Incorporating cost and cost - effectiveness into the development of safe motherhood programs
by Forgy, Larry & Measham, Diana M. & Tinker, Anne G.
- 845 Inflation stabilization in Turkey : an application of the RMSM-X model
by Everaert, Luc
- 844 Heterogeneity, distribution, and cooperation in common property resource management
by Kanbur, Ravi
- 843 How financial markets affect long run growth : a cross country study
by Ghani, Ejaz
- 842 Capital flows to South Asian and ASEAN countries : trends, determinants, and policy implications
by Husain, Ishrat & Kwang W. Jun
- 841 How access to contraception affects fertility and contraceptive use in Tunisia
by Cochrane, Susan & Guilkey, David K.
- 840 Public sector debt, fiscal deficits, and economic adjustment : a comparative study of six EMENA countries
by Thorne, Alfredo E. & Dastgheib, Azita
- 839 Regional integration under VERs : when trade diversion is unambiguously beneficial
- 838 Measuring trade policy intervention : a cross-country index of relative price dispersion
by Aitken, Brian J.
- 837 Manpower planning in a market economy with labor market signals
by Van Adams, Arvil & Middleton, John & Ziderman, Adrian
- 836 Sources of income inequality in rural Pakistan : a decomposition analysis
by Adams, Richard H. Jr. & Alderman, Harold
- 835 Commodity stabilization funds
by Arrau, Patricio & Claessens, Stijn
- 834 Scenarios for growth in the 1990s
by Fardoust, Shahrokh & Jian-Ping Zhou
- 833 Stabilization and growth recovery in Mexico : lessons and dilemmas
by Oks, Daniel F.
- 832 Sustainability and the economics of assuring assets for future generations
by Norgaard, Richard B.
- 831 Real overvaluation, terms of trade shocks, and the cost to agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 830 Fixed parity of the exchange rate and economic performance in the CFA zone : a comparative study
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Majd, Nader
- 829 Regulation of securities markets : some recent trends and their implications for emerging markets
by Chuppe, Terry M. & Atkin, Michael
- 828 How the macroeconomic environment affects human resource development
by Van Adams, Arvil & Goldfarb, Robert & Kelly, Terence
- 827 Free trade agreements with the United States : what's in it for Latin America?
by Erzan, Refik & Yeats, Alexander
- 826 Do workers in the informal sector benefit from cuts in the minimum wage?
by Fiszbein, Ariel
- 825 The empty opportunity : local control of secondary schools and student achievement in the Philippines
by Lockheed, Marlaine E. & Qinghua Zhao
- 824 Back of the envelope estimates of environmental damage costs in Mexico
by Margulis, Sergio
- 823 How private enterprise organized agricultural markets in Kenya
by Jaffee, Steven M.
- 822 Paternalism and the alleviation of poverty
by Jesurun-Clements, Nancy
- 821 Wages and unemployment in Poland : recent developments and policy issues
by Coricelli, Fabrizio & Revenga, Ana
- 820 Taxation in decentralizing socialist economies : the case of China
by Heady, Christopher J. & Mitra, Pradeep K.
- 819 Financial indicators and growth in a cross section of countries
by King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross
- 818 Do rules control power? GATT articles and arrangements in the Uruguay Round
by Finger, Michael J. & Dhar, Sumana
- 1071 Congestion charging mechanisms for roads : an evaluation of current practice
by Hau, Timothy D.
- 1070 Economic fundamentals of road pricing : a diagrammatic analysis
by Hau, Timothy D.
- 1064 More evidence on income distribution and growth
by Clarke, George R. G.
- 1063 Mongolia - Privatization and system transformation in an isolated economy
by Denizer, Cevdet & Gelb, Alan
- 1062 Economic development, environmental regulation, and the international migration of toxic industrial pollution : 1960-88
by Lucas, Robert E.B. & Wheeler, David & Hettige, Hemamala
- 1061 Dynamic response to foreign transfers and terms-of-trade shocks in open economies
by Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis
- 1060 Economies of the former Soviet Union : an input-output approach to the 1987 national accounts
by Steinberg, Dmitri
- 1059 Political economy of policy reform in Turkey in the 1980s
by Ziya Onis & Webb, Steven B.
- 1058 The pricing of country funds and their role in capital mobilization for emerging economies
by Diwan, Ishac & Errunza, Vihang & Senbet, Lemma W.
- 1057 Measuring the incomes of economies of the former Soviet Union
by International Economics Department
- 1056 Earnings and education in Latin America : assessing priorities for schooling investments
by Psacharopoulos, George & Ying Chu Ng
- 1055 Wealth, weather risk, and the composition and profitability of agricultural investments
by Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P.
- 1054 Eastern Europe and Russian Federation - Distributional impact of cash and in-kind social transfers in Eastern Europe and Russia
by Milanovic, Branko
- 1053 Development of the Zimbabwe family planning program
by Zinanga, Alex F.
- 1052 A reappraisal of how oral rehydration therapy affected mortality in Egypt
by Rashad, Hoda
- 1051 The legal framework for private sector activity in the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic
by Gray, Cheryl W.
- 1050 Marginal income tax rates and economic growth in developing countries
by Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio
- 1049 Money demand and seignorage - maximizing inflation
by Easterly, William & Mauro, Paolo & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 1048 Targets and indicators in World Bank population projects
by Baldwin, George
- 1047 Cote d'Ivoire : private sector dynamics and constraints
by Rueda-Sabater, Enrique & Stone, Andrew
- 1046 World Bank project-financed research on population, health, and nutrition
by Gittinger, J. Price & Bradford, Carol
- 1045 Social gains from female education : a cross-national study
by Subbarao, Kalanidhi & Raney, Laura
- 1044 Hospital cost functions for developing countries
by Wagstaff, Adam & Barnum, Howard
- 1043 Deriving developing country repayment capacity from the market prices of sovereign debt
by Claessens, Stijn & Pennacchi, George
- 1042 Family planning success in two cities in Zaire
by Bertrand, Jane T. & Brown, Judith E.
- 1041 Family planning success stories in Bangladesh and India
by Nag, Moni
- 1040 Lessons of trade liberalization in Latin America for economies in transition
by de Melo, Jaime & Dhar, Sumana
- 1039 Education, externalities, fertility, and economic growth
by Weale, Martin
- 1038 Determinants of expatriate workers'remittances in North Africa and Europe
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & de Rezende Rocha, Robert
- 1037 Vocational secondary schooling, occupational choice, and earnings in Brazil
by Arriagada, Ana-Maria & Ziderman, Adrian
- 1036 Output decline in Hungary and Poland in 1990-91 : structural change and aggregate shocks
by Commander, Simon & Coricelli, Fabrizio
- 1035 How import protection affects the Philippines'motor vehicle industry
by Takacs, Wendy E.
- 1034 Revising financial sector policy in transitional socialist economies : will universal banks prove viable?
by Scott, David H.
- 1033 Latin America and the Caribbean region (and Northern America) population projections : 1992-93 edition
by My T. Vu & Bos, Eduard & Levin, Ann
- 1032 East Asia and Pacific region South Asia region population projections 1992-93 edition
by Bos, Eduard & Vu, My T. & Levin, Ann
- 1031 Measuring the possibilities of interfuel substitution
by Bacon, Robert
- 1030 Measuring the effects of urban transportation policies on the environment : a survey of models
by Krupnick, Alan J.
- 1029 Controlling tropical deforestation : an analysis of alternative policies
by Deacon, Robert T.
- 1028 Socioeconomic and ethnic determinants of grade repetition in Bolivia and Guatemala
by Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Psacharopoulos, George
- 1027 Lessons from bank privatization in Mexico
by Barnes, Guillermo
- 1026 Financial liberation and adjustment in Chile and New Zealand
by McNelis, Paul D. & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 1025 Openness and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa : evidence from time-series cross-country analysis
by Matin, Kazi M.
- 1024 An exact approach for evaluating the benefits from technological change
by Martin, Will & Alston, Julian M.
- 1023 Tariff index theory
by Anderson, James E.
- 1022 A new approach to evaluating trade policy
by Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter
- 1021 Measuring welfare changes from commodity price stabilization in small open economies
by Coleman, Jonathan R. & Jones, Chris
- 1020 Another look at population and global warming
by Birdsall, Nancy
- 1019 How effective are directed credit policies in the United States? A literature survey
by Schwarz, Anita M.
- 1018 Tariff andtax reform : do World Bank recommendations integrate revenue and protection objectives?
by Rajaram, Anand
- 1017 Rural poverty, migration, and the environment in developing countries : three case studies
by Bilsborrow, Richard E.
- 1016 Europe and Central Asia region Middle East and North Africa region population projects : 1992-93 edition
by My T. Vu & Bos, Eduard & Levin, Ann
- 1015 Benefit incidence analysis in developing countries
by Selden, Thomas M. & Wasylenko, Michael J.
- 1014 Ethnicity, education, and earnings in Bolivia and Guatemala
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 1013 The impact of Mexico's retraining program on employment and wages
by Riboud, Michelle & Hong Tan & Revenga, Ana
- 1012 The Brady Plan, the 1989 Mexican debt reduction agreement, and bank stock returns in the United States and Japan
by Unal, Haluk & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kwok-Wai Leung
- 1011 How tax incentives affect decisions to invest in developing countries
by Boadway, Robin & Shah, Anwar
- 1010 Competition and efficiency in Hungarian banking
by Vittas, Dimitri & Neal, Craig
- 1009 Labor and women's nutrition : a study of energy expenditure, fertility, and nutritional status in Ghana
by Higgins, Paul A & Alderman, Harold & DEC
- 1008 Do the poor insure? A synthesis of the literature on risk and consumption in developing countries
by Alderman, Harold & Paxson, Christina H & DEC
- 1007 Global estimates and projections of mortality by cause, 1970-2015
by Bulatao, Rodolfo A. & Stephens, Patience W.
- 1006 Preparing multiyear railway investment plans : a market-oriented approach
by Rebelo, Jorge M.
- 1005 An approach to the economic analysis of water supply projects
by Lovei, Laszlo
- 1004 Family planning programs in sub-Saharan Africa
by McNamara, Regina & McGinn, Therese & Lauro, Donald & Ross, John
- 1003 Rent-sharing in the multi-fibre arrangement : evidence from U.S. - Hong Kong trade in apparel
by Krishna, Kala & Ling Hui Tan
- 1002 World fossil fuel subsidies and global carbon emissions
by Larsen, Bjorn & Shah, Anwar & DEC
- 1001 World Bank adjustment lending and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa in the 1980s : a comparison of early adjusters, late adjusters, and nonadjusters
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 1000 World Bank adjustment lending and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa in the 1980s : a comparison with other low income countries
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Uwujaren, Gilbert
- 817 How does Brady-type commercial debt restructuring work?
by Mukherjee, Mohua
- 816 Economic consequences of German reunification : 12 months after the big bang
by Pohl, Gerhard
- 815 Governance and economy : a review
by Brautigam, D.
- 814 Finance, growth, and public policy
by Gertler, M. & Rose, A.
- 813 Price stabilization for raw jute in Bangladesh
by Takamasa Akiyama & Varangis, Panos
- 812 Alternative forms of external finance : a survey
by Claessens, Stijn
- 811 Comparative resource allocations to human resource development in Asia, Europe, and Latin America
by Knight, P. T. & Wasty, S. S.
- 810 Poverty and income distribution during adjustment : issues and evidence from the OECD project
by Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian
- 809 Openness and growth : a time series, cross-country analysis for developing countries
by Harrison, Ann
- 808 The new trade protection : price effects of antidumping and countervailing measures in the United States
by Harrison, Ann
- 807 Moderate inflation
by Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley
- 806 Measuring commercial bank efficiency : use and misuse of bank operating ratios
by Vittas, Dimitri
- 805 Privatization in the Soviet Union : the beginnings of a transition
by Shatalov, Sergei
- 804 Global trends in raw materials consumption
by Boum-Jong Choe
- 803 Financial regulation : changing the rules of the game
by Long, Millard & Vittas, Dimitri
- 802 Strengthening the Bank's population work in the nineties
by Sinding, Steven W.
- 801 Unraveling the mysteries of China's foreign trade regime : a view from Jiangsu Province
by Panagariya, Arvind
- 800 The legal framework for private sector development in a transitional economy : the case of Poland
by Gray, Cheryl W. & Hanson, Rebecca J. & Heller, Michael A. & Ianachkov, Peter & Ostas, Daniel T. & Djehane, Youssef
- 799 Growth in open economies
by Rebelo, Sergio
- 798 Agriculture's decline in Indonesia : supply or demand determined
by Martin, Will & Warr, Peter G.
- 797 Using field visits to improve the quality of family planning, health, and nutrition programs : a supervisor's manual
by Heaver, Richard
- 796 Excess liquidity and monetary overhangs
by Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick
- 795 Economic stagnation, fixed factors, and policy thresholds
by Easterly, William
- 794 How do national policies affect long-run growth? : a research agenda
by Easterly, William & King, Robert & Levine, Ross & Rebelo, Sergio
- 793 Decollectivization and the agricultural transition in Eastern and Central Europe
by Brooks, Karen M.
- 792 Reducing labor redundancy in state owned enterprises
by Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine
- 791 Measuring real exchange rate instability in developing countries : empirical evidence and implications
by Pritchett, Lant
- 790 Reforming and privatizing Hungary's road haulage
by Bennathan, Esra & Gutman, Jeffrey & Thompson, Louis
- 789 Intrahousehold inequality and the theory of targeting
by Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi
- 788 How expectations affect reform dynamics in developing countries
by Daveri, Francesco
- 787 Private investment under macroeconomic adjustment in Morocco
by Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Muller, Tobias
- 786 Fiscal policyfor managing Indonesia's environment
by Ahmed, Sadiq
- 785 How did the Asian countries avoid the debt crisis?
by Husain, Ishrat
- 784 Chemicals from Poland : a tempest in a teacup
by Olechowski, Andrzej
- 783 The origins and evolution of antidumping regulation
by Finger, J. Michael
- 782 The economic effects of widespread application of antidumping duties to import pricing
by Conway, Patrick & Dhar, Sumana
- 781 The Korean consumer electronics industry : reaction to antidumping actions
by Bark, Taeho
- 780 Optimal user charges and cost recovery for roads in developing countries
by Heggie, Ian G. & Fon, Vincy
- 779 Special programme of research, development and research training in human reproduction
by Nassim, Janet
- 778 A dynamic bargaining model of sovereign debt
by Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo
- 777 Do the benefits of fixed exchange rates outweigh their costs? The Franc Zone in Africa
by Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani
- 776 Enforcement of Canadian"unfair"trade laws : the case for competition policies as an antidote for protection
by Dutz, Mark A.
- 775 The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis
by Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 774 Agricultural pricing systems and transportation policy in Africa
by Gersovitz, M.
- 773 Are Ghana's roads paying their way? Assessing road use cost and user charges in Ghana
by Gronau, Reuben
- 772 Macroeconomic adjustment to oil shocks and fiscal reform : simulations for Zimbabwe, 1988-1995
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 771 Macroeconomic structure and policy in Zimbabwe, analysis and empirical model : 1965-1988
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 770 Privatization in Eastern and Central Europe : objectives, constraints, and models of divestiture
by Dhanji, Farid & Milanovic, Branko
- 769 Entry-exit, learning, and productivity change : evidence from Chile
by Liu, Lili
- 768 Going to market : privatization in Central and Eastern Market Europe
by Hinds, Manuel & Pohl, Gerhard
- 767 Framework for macroeconomic analysis applied to Kenya
by Bruce, Colin A. & Ndii, David
- 766 Economic crisis, structural adjustment, and health in Africa
by Diop, Francois & Hill, Kenneth & Sirageldin, Ismail
- 765 Withholding taxes and international bank credit terms
by Huizinga, Harry
- 764 African financing needs in the 1990s
by Culagovski, Jorge & Gabor, Victor & Germany, Maria Cristina & Humphreys, Charles P.
- 763 A valuation formula for LDC debt
by Cohen, Daniel
- 762 Debt, debt relief, and growth : a bargaining approach
by Cohen, Daniel & Verdier, Thierry
- 761 Uncertainty and the discrepancy between rate of return estimates at project appraisal and project completion
by Pohl, Gerhard & Mihaljek, Dubravko
- 760 How conflicting definitions of"manufactures"distort output and trade statistics
by Yeats, Alexander J.
- 759 The Profamilia Family Planning Program, Colombia : an economic perspective
by Amadeo, Jesus & Chernichovsky, Dov & Ojeda, Gabriel
- 758 Is there excess co-movement of primary commodity prices? A co-integration test
by Palaskas, Theodosios B. & Varangis, Panos N.
- 757 Managing the transition : enhancing the efficiency of Eastern European governments
by Rice, Eric
- 756 Taxes versus quotas : the case of cocoa exports
by Panagariya, Arvind & Schiff, Maurice
- 755 Hedging crude oil imports in developing countries
by Claessens, Stijn & Varangis, Panos
- 754 Estimating returns to scale with large imperfect panels
by Tybout, James R. & Westbrook, M. Daniel
- 753 The CMEA system of trade and payments : the legacy and the aftermath of its termination
by Schrenk, Martin
- 752 Inflation and stabilization in Yugoslavia
by Rocha, Roberto de Rezende
- 751 A consumption-based direct tax for countries in transition from socialism
by McLure, Charles E., Jr.
- 750 Reforming and privatizing Poland's road freight industry
by Bennathan, Esra & Gutman, Jeffrey & Thompson, Louis
- 749 Hedging commodity price risks in Papua New Guinea
by Claessens, Stijn & Coleman, Jonathan
- 748 European trade patterns after the transition
by Havrylyshyn, Oleh & Pritchett, Lant