The World Bank
Policy Research Working Paper Series
Contact information of The World Bank:
Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Roula I. Yazigi)
Series handle: repec:wbk:wbrwps
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple (last 10 years), Recursive (10), Discounted (10), Recursive discounted (10), H-Index (10), Aggregate (10)
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
- 1017 Rural poverty, migration, and the environment in developing countries : three case studies
by Bilsborrow, Richard E.
- 1016 Europe and Central Asia region Middle East and North Africa region population projects : 1992-93 edition
by My T. Vu & Bos, Eduard & Levin, Ann
- 1015 Benefit incidence analysis in developing countries
by Selden, Thomas M. & Wasylenko, Michael J.
- 1014 Ethnicity, education, and earnings in Bolivia and Guatemala
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 1013 The impact of Mexico's retraining program on employment and wages
by Riboud, Michelle & Hong Tan & Revenga, Ana
- 1012 The Brady Plan, the 1989 Mexican debt reduction agreement, and bank stock returns in the United States and Japan
by Unal, Haluk & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Kwok-Wai Leung
- 1011 How tax incentives affect decisions to invest in developing countries
by Boadway, Robin & Shah, Anwar
- 1010 Competition and efficiency in Hungarian banking
by Vittas, Dimitri & Neal, Craig
- 1009 Labor and women's nutrition : a study of energy expenditure, fertility, and nutritional status in Ghana
by Higgins, Paul A & Alderman, Harold & DEC
- 1008 Do the poor insure? A synthesis of the literature on risk and consumption in developing countries
by Alderman, Harold & Paxson, Christina H & DEC
- 1007 Global estimates and projections of mortality by cause, 1970-2015
by Bulatao, Rodolfo A. & Stephens, Patience W.
- 1006 Preparing multiyear railway investment plans : a market-oriented approach
by Rebelo, Jorge M.
- 1005 An approach to the economic analysis of water supply projects
by Lovei, Laszlo
- 1004 Family planning programs in sub-Saharan Africa
by McNamara, Regina & McGinn, Therese & Lauro, Donald & Ross, John
- 1003 Rent-sharing in the multi-fibre arrangement : evidence from U.S. - Hong Kong trade in apparel
by Krishna, Kala & Ling Hui Tan
- 1002 World fossil fuel subsidies and global carbon emissions
by Larsen, Bjorn & Shah, Anwar & DEC
- 1001 World Bank adjustment lending and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa in the 1980s : a comparison of early adjusters, late adjusters, and nonadjusters
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A.
- 1000 World Bank adjustment lending and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa in the 1980s : a comparison with other low income countries
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Uwujaren, Gilbert
- 817 How does Brady-type commercial debt restructuring work?
by Mukherjee, Mohua
- 816 Economic consequences of German reunification : 12 months after the big bang
by Pohl, Gerhard
- 815 Governance and economy : a review
by Brautigam, D.
- 814 Finance, growth, and public policy
by Gertler, M. & Rose, A.
- 813 Price stabilization for raw jute in Bangladesh
by Takamasa Akiyama & Varangis, Panos
- 812 Alternative forms of external finance : a survey
by Claessens, Stijn
- 811 Comparative resource allocations to human resource development in Asia, Europe, and Latin America
by Knight, P. T. & Wasty, S. S.
- 810 Poverty and income distribution during adjustment : issues and evidence from the OECD project
by Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian
- 809 Openness and growth : a time series, cross-country analysis for developing countries
by Harrison, Ann
- 808 The new trade protection : price effects of antidumping and countervailing measures in the United States
by Harrison, Ann
- 807 Moderate inflation
by Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley
- 806 Measuring commercial bank efficiency : use and misuse of bank operating ratios
by Vittas, Dimitri
- 805 Privatization in the Soviet Union : the beginnings of a transition
by Shatalov, Sergei
- 804 Global trends in raw materials consumption
by Boum-Jong Choe
- 803 Financial regulation : changing the rules of the game
by Long, Millard & Vittas, Dimitri
- 802 Strengthening the Bank's population work in the nineties
by Sinding, Steven W.
- 801 Unraveling the mysteries of China's foreign trade regime : a view from Jiangsu Province
by Panagariya, Arvind
- 800 The legal framework for private sector development in a transitional economy : the case of Poland
by Gray, Cheryl W. & Hanson, Rebecca J. & Heller, Michael A. & Ianachkov, Peter & Ostas, Daniel T. & Djehane, Youssef
- 799 Growth in open economies
by Rebelo, Sergio
- 798 Agriculture's decline in Indonesia : supply or demand determined
by Martin, Will & Warr, Peter G.
- 797 Using field visits to improve the quality of family planning, health, and nutrition programs : a supervisor's manual
by Heaver, Richard
- 796 Excess liquidity and monetary overhangs
by Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick
- 795 Economic stagnation, fixed factors, and policy thresholds
by Easterly, William
- 794 How do national policies affect long-run growth? : a research agenda
by Easterly, William & King, Robert & Levine, Ross & Rebelo, Sergio
- 793 Decollectivization and the agricultural transition in Eastern and Central Europe
by Brooks, Karen M.
- 792 Reducing labor redundancy in state owned enterprises
by Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine
- 791 Measuring real exchange rate instability in developing countries : empirical evidence and implications
by Pritchett, Lant
- 790 Reforming and privatizing Hungary's road haulage
by Bennathan, Esra & Gutman, Jeffrey & Thompson, Louis
- 789 Intrahousehold inequality and the theory of targeting
by Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi
- 788 How expectations affect reform dynamics in developing countries
by Daveri, Francesco
- 787 Private investment under macroeconomic adjustment in Morocco
by Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Muller, Tobias
- 786 Fiscal policyfor managing Indonesia's environment
by Ahmed, Sadiq
- 785 How did the Asian countries avoid the debt crisis?
by Husain, Ishrat
- 784 Chemicals from Poland : a tempest in a teacup
by Olechowski, Andrzej
- 783 The origins and evolution of antidumping regulation
by Finger, J. Michael
- 782 The economic effects of widespread application of antidumping duties to import pricing
by Conway, Patrick & Dhar, Sumana
- 781 The Korean consumer electronics industry : reaction to antidumping actions
by Bark, Taeho
- 780 Optimal user charges and cost recovery for roads in developing countries
by Heggie, Ian G. & Fon, Vincy
- 779 Special programme of research, development and research training in human reproduction
by Nassim, Janet
- 778 A dynamic bargaining model of sovereign debt
by Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo
- 777 Do the benefits of fixed exchange rates outweigh their costs? The Franc Zone in Africa
by Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani
- 776 Enforcement of Canadian"unfair"trade laws : the case for competition policies as an antidote for protection
by Dutz, Mark A.
- 775 The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis
by Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 774 Agricultural pricing systems and transportation policy in Africa
by Gersovitz, M.
- 773 Are Ghana's roads paying their way? Assessing road use cost and user charges in Ghana
by Gronau, Reuben
- 772 Macroeconomic adjustment to oil shocks and fiscal reform : simulations for Zimbabwe, 1988-1995
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 771 Macroeconomic structure and policy in Zimbabwe, analysis and empirical model : 1965-1988
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 770 Privatization in Eastern and Central Europe : objectives, constraints, and models of divestiture
by Dhanji, Farid & Milanovic, Branko
- 769 Entry-exit, learning, and productivity change : evidence from Chile
by Liu, Lili
- 768 Going to market : privatization in Central and Eastern Market Europe
by Hinds, Manuel & Pohl, Gerhard
- 767 Framework for macroeconomic analysis applied to Kenya
by Bruce, Colin A. & Ndii, David
- 766 Economic crisis, structural adjustment, and health in Africa
by Diop, Francois & Hill, Kenneth & Sirageldin, Ismail
- 765 Withholding taxes and international bank credit terms
by Huizinga, Harry
- 764 African financing needs in the 1990s
by Culagovski, Jorge & Gabor, Victor & Germany, Maria Cristina & Humphreys, Charles P.
- 763 A valuation formula for LDC debt
by Cohen, Daniel
- 762 Debt, debt relief, and growth : a bargaining approach
by Cohen, Daniel & Verdier, Thierry
- 761 Uncertainty and the discrepancy between rate of return estimates at project appraisal and project completion
by Pohl, Gerhard & Mihaljek, Dubravko
- 760 How conflicting definitions of"manufactures"distort output and trade statistics
by Yeats, Alexander J.
- 759 The Profamilia Family Planning Program, Colombia : an economic perspective
by Amadeo, Jesus & Chernichovsky, Dov & Ojeda, Gabriel
- 758 Is there excess co-movement of primary commodity prices? A co-integration test
by Palaskas, Theodosios B. & Varangis, Panos N.
- 757 Managing the transition : enhancing the efficiency of Eastern European governments
by Rice, Eric
- 756 Taxes versus quotas : the case of cocoa exports
by Panagariya, Arvind & Schiff, Maurice
- 755 Hedging crude oil imports in developing countries
by Claessens, Stijn & Varangis, Panos
- 754 Estimating returns to scale with large imperfect panels
by Tybout, James R. & Westbrook, M. Daniel
- 753 The CMEA system of trade and payments : the legacy and the aftermath of its termination
by Schrenk, Martin
- 752 Inflation and stabilization in Yugoslavia
by Rocha, Roberto de Rezende
- 751 A consumption-based direct tax for countries in transition from socialism
by McLure, Charles E., Jr.
- 750 Reforming and privatizing Poland's road freight industry
by Bennathan, Esra & Gutman, Jeffrey & Thompson, Louis
- 749 Hedging commodity price risks in Papua New Guinea
by Claessens, Stijn & Coleman, Jonathan
- 748 European trade patterns after the transition
by Havrylyshyn, Oleh & Pritchett, Lant
- 747 Credit policies in Japan and Korea : a review of the literature
by Vittas, Dimitri & Wang, Bo
- 746 The impact of regulation on financial intermediation
by Vittas, Dimitri
- 745 The meaning of"unfair"in US import policy
by Finger, J. Michael
- 744 Stainless steel in Sweden : antidumping attacks, good international citizenship
by Fors, Gunnar
- 743 Antidumping enforcement in the European Community
by Eymann, Angelika & Schuknecht, Ludger
- 742 The cost of the district hospital : a case study from Malawi
by Mills, A.J.
- 741 When does rent-seeking augment the benefits of price and trade reform on rationed commodities? : estimates for automobiles and color televisions in Poland
by Tarr, David
- 740 The onchocerciasis control program in West Africa : a long-term commitment to success
by Liese, Bernard H. & Wilson, John & Benton, Bruce & Marr, Douglas
- 739 Managing financial risks in Papua New Guinea : an optimal external debt portfolio
by Coleman, Jonathan R. & Ying Qian
- 738 Tax competition and tax coordination : when countries differ in size
by Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael
- 737 External shocks, adjustment policies, and investment : illustrations from a forward-looking CGE model of the Philippines
by Go, Delfin S.
- 736 Wages and employment in the transition to a market economy
by Commander, Simon & Coricelli, Fabrizio & Staehr, Karsten
- 735 Traditional medicine in sub-Saharan Africa : its importance and potential policy options
by DeJong, Jocelyn
- 734 Curricular content, educational expansion, and economic growth
by Benavot, Aaron
- 733 The consulting profession in developing countries : a strategy for development
by Kirmani, Syed S. & Baum, Warren C.
- 732 Stabilization programs in Eastern Europe : a comparative analysis of the Polish and Yugoslav programs of 1990
by Coricelli, Fabrizio & Rocha, Roberto de Rezende
- 731 Efficiency wage theory, labormarkets, and adjustment
by Riveros, Luis A. & Bouton, Lawrence
- 730 Wage and employment policies in Czechoslovakia
by Riveros, Luis A.
- 729 Is export diversification the best way to achieve export growth and stability? A look at three African countries
by Ali, Ridwan & Alwang, Jeffrey & Siegel, Paul B.
- 728 Does better access to contraceptives increase their use? Key policy and methodological issues
by Cochrane, Susan H. & Gibney, Laura
- 727 The effects of debt subsidies on corporate investment behavior
by Dailami, Mansoor & Kim, E. Han
- 726 Perspectives on the design of intergovernmental fiscal relations
by Shah, Anwar
- 725 How structure of production determines the demand for human capital
by Gill, Indermit S. & Khandker, Shahidur R.
- 724 Fiscal issues in adjustment : an introduction
by Faini, Riccardo & de Melo, Jaime
- 723 Improving women's and children's nutrition in sub-Saharan Africa : an issues paper
by Abosede, Olayinka & McGuire, Judith S.
- 722 Is rice becoming an inferior good? Food demand in the Philippines
by Ingco, Merlinda D.
- 721 The demand for money in developing countries : assessing the role of financial innovation
by Arrau, Patricio & De Gregorio, Jose & Reinhart, Carmen & Wickham, Peter
- 720 The outlook for commercial bank lending to sub-Saharan Africa
by Sirleaf, Ellen Johnson & Nyirjesy, Francis
- 719 How trade and economic policies affect agriculture : a framework for analysis applied to Tanzania and Malawi
by Lopez, Ramon & Ali, Ridwan & Larsen, Bjorn
- 718 Impact of investment policies on German direct investment in developing countries : an empirical investigation
by Gubitz, Andrea
- 717 Does financial liberalization really improve private investment in developing countries?
by Morisset, Jacques
- 716 Financing training : issues and options
by Dougherty, Christopher & Jee-Peng Tan
- 715 Promoting girls'and women's education : lessons from the past
by Bellew, Rosemary & King,Elizabeth M.
- 714 Women in forestry in India
by Kaur, Ravinder
- 713 The determination of wages in socialist economies : some microfoundations
by Commander, Simon & Staehr, Karsten
- 712 Foreign direct investment in developing countries : patterns, policies, and prospects
by Brewer, Thomas L.
- 711 Financial reform in socialist economies in transition
by Long, Millard & Sagari, Silvia B.
- 710 Urban property tax reform : guidelines and recommendations
by Dillinger, William
- 709 An empirical macroeconomic model for policy design : the case of Chile
by Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres
- 708 Nongovernmental organizations and health delivery in sub-Saharan Africa
by DeJong, Jocelyn
- 707 Population, health, and nutrition : fiscal 1990 sector review
- 706 Successful nutrition programs in Africa : what makes them work?
by Kennedy, Eileen
- 705 What causes differences in achievement in Zimbabwe's secondary schools?
by Nyagura, Levi Martin & Riddell, Abby Rubin
- 704 Costs and finance of higher education in Pakistan
by Bellew, Rosemary & DeStefano, Joseph
- 703 The political economy of fiscal policy and inflation in developing countries : an empirical analysis
by Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido
- 702 Should price reform proceed gradually or in a"big bang?"
by van Wijnbergen, Sweder
- 701 Education and adjustment : a review of the literature
by Noss, Andrew
- 700 Trade liberalization and the transition to a market economy
by Havrylyshyn, Oleh & Tarr, David
- 699 Regulation and deregulation in industrial countries : some lessons for LDCs
by Bradburd, Ralph & Ross, David R.
- 698 Tax policy options to promote private capital formation in Pakistan
by Feltenstein, Andrew & Shah, Anwar
- 697 Volatility reversal from interest rates to the real exchange rate : financial liberalization in Chile, 1975-82
by McNelis, Paul D. & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 696 Macroeconomics of public sector deficits : the case of Chile
by Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Marshall, Jorge
- 695 Long term prospects in Eastern Europe : the role of external finance in an era of change
by Diwan, Ishac & Saldanha, Fernando
- 694 Labor markets in an era of adjustment : an overview
by Horton, Susan & Kanbur, Ravi & Mazumdar, Dipak
- 693 Report on adjustment lending II : lessons forEastern Europe
by Corbo, Vittorio
- 692 Health financing in the poor countries : cost recovery or cost reduction?
by Brunet-Jailly, J.
- 691 Can debt-reduction policies restore investment and economic growth in highly indebted countries? A macroeconomic framework applied to Argentina
by Morisset, Jacques
- 690 The terms-of-trade effects from the elimination of state trading in Soviet - Hungarian trade
by Oblath, Gabor & Tarr, David
- 689 Do tax policies stimulate investment in physical and research and development capital?
by Baffes, John & Shah, Anwar
- 688 Macroeconomics of public sector deficits : the case of Zimbabwe
by Morande, Felipe & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus
- 687 Brazilian frozen concentrated orange juice : the folly of unfair trade cases
by Primo Braga, Carlos Alberto & Silber, Simao Davi
- 686 Lending for learning : twenty years of World Bank support for basic education
by Verspoor, Adriaan
- 685 Children and intra-household inequality : a theoretical analysis
by Kanbur, Ravi
- 684 The value of intra-household survey data for age-based nutritional targeting
by Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi
- 683 Vocational schooling, occupational matching, and labor market earnings in Israel
by Neuman, Shoshana & Ziderman, Adrian
- 682 Intertemporal substitution, risk aversion, and private savings in Mexico
by Arrau, Patricio & van Wijnbergen, Sweder
- 681 Political economy arguments for uniform tariffs
by Panagariya, Arvind & Rodrik, Dani
- 680 On hunger and public action
by Ravallion, Martin
- 679 Poverty alleviation in Mexico
by Levy, Santiago
- 678 Economic growth : a review of the theoretical and empirical literature
by Renelt, David
- 677 On economic transformation in East - Central Europe : a historical and international perspective
by Solimano, Andres
- 676 Higher education in the Republic of Yemen : the University of Sana'a
by Selvaratnam, Viswanathan & Regel, Omporn L.
- 675 Are buybacks back? Menu-driven debt-reduction schemes with heterogenous creditors
by Diwan, Ishac & Spiegel, Mark M.
- 674 Distributional effects of adjustment policies : simulations for two archetypes economies
by Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Akiko Suwa
- 673 The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : the case of Pakistan
by Haque, Nadeem U. & Montiel, Peter
- 672 The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : the case of Ghana
by Islam, Roumeen & Wetzel, Deborah L.
- 671 Lessons from the heterodox stabilization programs
by Kiguel, Miguel A. & Liviatan, Nissan
- 670 Inflation adjustments of financial statements : application of international accounting standard 29 : financial reporting in hyperinflationary economies
by Goldschmidt, Yaaqov & Yaron, Jacob
- 669 Are high real interest rates bad for world economic growth?
by Shafik, Nemat & Jalali, Jalaleddin
- 668 Inflation tax and deficit financing in Egypt
by Dinh, Hinh T. & Giugale, Marcelo
- 667 VERs under imperfect competition and foreign direct investment : a case study of the U.S. - Japan auto VER
by de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David
- 666 Agriculture and the transition to the market
by Brooks, Karen M. & Guasch, Jose Luis & Braverman, Avishay & Csaki, Csaba
- 665 Microeconomic distortions : static losses and their effect on the efficiency of investment
by Lopez, Ramon
- 664 Should employee participation be part of privatization?
by Lee, Barbara W.
- 663 Bank holding companies : a better structure for conducting universal banking?
by Talley, Samuel H.
- 662 Trends in social indicators and social sector financing
by van der Gaag, Jacques & Makonnen, Elene & Englebert, Pierre
- 661 The Bretton Woods agencies and sub-Saharan Africa in the 1990s : facing the tough questions
by Feinberg, Richard E.
- 660 The development of the Colombian cut flower industry
by Mendez, Jose A.
- 659 Inflation and growth in the transition from socialism : the case of Bulgaria
by Solimano, Andres
- 658 Cote d'Ivoire - Fiscal policy with fixed nominal exchange rates
by Chamley, Christophe & Ghanem, Hafez
- 657 Distributional aspects of debt adjustment
by Diwan, Ishac & Verdier, Thierry
- 656 Relative deprivation and migration : theory, evidence, and policy implications
by Stark, Oded & Taylor, J. Edward
- 655 Interest rate policy in Egypt : its role in stabilization and adjustment
by Dailami, Mansoor & Hinh T. Dinh
- 654 Reflections on credit policy in developing countries: its effect on private investment
by Dailami, Mansoor & Giugale, Marcelo
- 653 The effects of option hedging on the costs of domestic price stabilization schemes
by Larson, Donald F. & Coleman, Jonathan
- 652 Demographic response to economic shock
by Hill, Kenneth
- 651 Taxation of financial assets in developing countries
by Chamley, Christophe
- 650 Administrative valuation of Soviet agricultural land : results using Lithuanian production data
by Brooks, Karen
- 649 An observation on the bias in clinic-based estimates of malnutrition rates
by Grosh, Margaret E. & Fox, Kristin & Jackson, Maria
- 648 Who paid the bill? Adjustment and poverty in Brazil, 1980-95
by Fox, M. Louise & Morley, Samuel A.
- 647 Growth rates and aggregate welfare : an international comparison
by Kakwani, Nanak
- 646 The developmental effectiveness of aid to Africa
by Killick, Tony
- 645 Poverty, policy, and industrialization : lessons from the distant past
by Polak, Ben & Williamson, Jeffrey G.
- 644 Trade and payments arrangements in post-CMEA Eastern and Central Europe
by Michalopoulos, Constantine & Tarr, David
- 643 Regional integration among developing countries, revisited
by Inotai, Andras
- 642 How a change in Brazil's sugar policies would affect the world sugar market
by Borrell, Brent
- 641 Intertemporal substitution in consumption : evidence for some high- and middle-income countries
by Pedersen, Karsten N.
- 640 The impact of policy in African agriculture : an empirical investigation
by Jaeger, William
- 639 The high cost of protecting Uruguay's automotive industry
by Takacs, Wendy E.
- 638 Researching the trade - productivity link : new directions
by Tybout, James R.
- 637 Poverty in Poland : 1978-88
by Milanovic, Branko
- 636 Economic integration in Eastern Europe
by Balassa, Bela