Basel core principles and bank soundness : does compliance matter ?
AbstractThis paper studies whether compliance with the Basel Core Principles for effective banking supervision is associated with bank soundness. Using data for more than 3,000 banks in 86 countries, the authors find that neither the overall index of compliance with the Basel Core Principles nor the individual components of the index are robustly associated with bank risk measured by Z-scores. The results of the analysis cast doubt on the usefulness of the Basel Core Principles in ensuring bank soundness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5129.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Public Sector Corruption&Anticorruption Measures; Financial Intermediation; Debt Markets; Hazard Risk Management;
Other versions of this item:
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2011. "Basel Core Principles and bank soundness: Does compliance matter?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 179-190, December.
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-11-27 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2009-11-27 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-REG-2009-11-27 (Regulation)
- NEP-RMG-2009-11-27 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Podpiera, 2004.
"Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(2), pages 5.
- Charles Goodhart, 2008. "The Regulatory Response to the Financial Crisis," FMG Special Papers sp177, Financial Markets Group.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Rajan, Raghuram G. & Stein, Jeremy C., 2008. "Rethinking capital regulation," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 431-471.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio, Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002.
"Bank Regulation and Supervision: What Works Best?,"
NBER Working Papers
9323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2725, The World Bank.
- Udaibir S. Das & Plamen Yossifov & Richard Podpiera & Dmitriy Rozhkov, 2005. "Quality of Financial Policies and Financial System Stress," IMF Working Papers 05/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2008.
"Bank Governance, Regulation, and Risk Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
14113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009.
"A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009. "A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2006.
"Banking on the principles : compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3954, The World Bank.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, AslI & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2008. "Banking on the principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 511-542, October.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr, Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "The regulation and supervision of banks around the world - a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2588, The World Bank.
- Boyd, John H. & Runkle, David E., 1993. "Size and performance of banking firms : Testing the predictions of theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 47-67, February.
- Klomp, Jeroen & Haan, Jakob de, 2012. "Banking risk and regulation: Does one size fit all?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3197-3212.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Daniilidis, Ioannis & Delis, Manthos D., 2014.
"Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 58-83.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Ioannis, Daniilidis & Manthos, Delis, 2013. "Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies," MPRA Paper 50830, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2012. "Can capital requirements induce private monitoring that is socially optimal?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 252-262.
- Jeroen Klomp & Jakob de Haan, 2011.
"Banking risk and regulation: Does one size fit all?,"
DNB Working Papers
323, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jeroen Klomp & Jacob de Haan (DNB), 2010. "Banking risk and regulation: Does one size fit all?," CPB Discussion Paper 164, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Herrala, Risto, 2014. "Forward-looking reaction to bank regulation," Working Paper Series 1645, European Central Bank.
- Alin Marius ANDRIES & Vasile COCRIS & Silviu Gabriel URSU, 2012. "Determinants Of Bank Performance In Cee Countries," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 10, pages 165-177, December.
- Frank Strobel, 2014. "Bank Insolvency Risk and Z-Score Measures: A Refinement," Discussion Papers 14-06, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Carin van der Cruijsen & Jakob de Haan & David-Jan Jansen & Robert Mosch, 2010.
"Knowledge and Opinions about Banking Supervision: Evidence from a Survey of Dutch Households,"
DNB Working Papers
275, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van der Cruijsen, Carin & de Haan, Jakob & Jansen, David-Jan & Mosch, Robert, 2013. "Knowledge and opinions about banking supervision: Evidence from a survey of Dutch households," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 219-229.
- Lagoarde-Segot, Thomas & Leoni, Patrick L., 2013. "Pandemics of the poor and banking stability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4574-4583.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis & Tsoumas, Chris, 2013. "Enforcement actions and bank behavior," MPRA Paper 43557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.