Four critiques of the redistribution hypothesis : an assessment
AbstractThis paper discusses and assesses critiques of the aurhor's reformulation of the median voter hypothesis and its testing. The author rephrases and redefines more correctly the redistribution hypothesis and clarifies its relationship with the median voter hypothesis. He also reviews four types of critiques leveled at his approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5145.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Inequality; Economic Theory&Research; Poverty Impact Evaluation; Emerging Markets; Markets and Market Access;
Other versions of this item:
- Milanovic, Branko, 2010. "Four critiques of the redistribution hypothesis: An assessment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 147-154, March.
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Javier Olivera, 2012. "Preferences for Redistribution in Europe," Working Papers, Geary Institute, University College Dublin 201225, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Thomas Markussen, 2010.
"Democracy, Redistributive Taxation and the Private Provision of Public Goods,"
10-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Markussen, Thomas, 2011. "Democracy, redistributive taxation and the private provision of public goods," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 201-213, March.
- Fabio Padovano & Gilberto Turati, 2012. "Redistribution through a "Leaky Bucket". What explains the Leakages?," Economics Working Paper from Condorcet Center for political Economy at CREM-CNRS, Condorcet Center for political Economy 2012-03-ccr, Condorcet Center for political Economy.
- Francesco Scervini, 2012. "Empirics of the median voter: democracy, redistribution and the role of the middle class," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 529-550, December.
- István György Tóth & Keller, T., 2011. "GINI DP 7: Income Distributions, Inequality Perceptions and Redistributive Claims in European Societies," GINI Discussion Papers, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies 7, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Peter J. Lambert & Runa Nesbakken & Thor O. Thoresen, 2011. "On the meaning and measurement of redistribution in cross-country comparisons," Discussion Papers, Research Department of Statistics Norway 649, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.