Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:wdevel
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
1987, Volume 15, Issue 8
- 1119-1130 Inflation, indexing and economic development
by Samuelson, Larry & Samuelson, Larry
- 1131-1138 International transmission of inflation: Its economics and its politics
by Kolodko, Grzegorz W.
- 1139-1149 Discussion
by Coes, Donald V.
- 1141-1141 Discussion
by Esfahani, Hadi S.
- 1143-1143 Discussion
by Kleiman, Ephraim
- 1145-1145 Discussion
by McNelis, Paul D.
- 1146-1146 Discussion
by Smith, Russell E.
- 1148-1148 Discussion
by Skidmore, Thomas E.
1987, Volume 15, Issue 7
- 851-860 An idea in good currency and how it grew: The informal sector
by Peattie, Lisa
- 861-875 Street trading in Transkei--a struggle against poverty, persecution, and prosecution
by Nattrass, Nicoli Jean
- 877-897 Labor market differentiation in a developing economy: An example from urban Juba, Southern Sudan
by House, William J.
- 899-910 The political realities of African management
by Leonard, David K.
- 911-929 Probing managerial behavior: Image and reality in Southern Africa
by Montgomery, John D.
- 931-939 The training and spread of managerial know-how, a comparative analysis of multinational and other firms in Kenya
by Gershenberg, Irving
- 941-959 Agro-exports and the peasantry in the agrarian reforms of El Salvador and Nicaragua
by Reinhardt, Nola
- 961-984 Food policy and class transformation in revolutionary Nicaragua, 1979-1986
by Zalkin, Michael
1987, Volume 15, Issue 6
- 759-775 Managing technological development: Lessons from the newly industrializing countries
by Dahlman, Carl J. & Ross-Larson, Bruce & Westphal, Larry E.
- 777-788 Industrial devolution, underconsumption and the third world debt crisis
by Peet, Richard
- 789-796 Foreign aid and domestic savings in less developed countries: Some tests for causality
by Bowles, Paul
- 797-808 Determinants of the levels and distribution of PL 480 food aid: 1955-1979
by Eggleston, Robert C.
- 809-830 Changes in the living standards of the poor in Sri Lanka during a period of macroeconomic restructuring
by Sahn, David E.
- 831-840 Public transfers, family socioeconomic traits, and the job search behavior of the unemployed: Evidence from Puerto Rico
by Mann, Arthur J. & Smith, Robert
- 841-845 Cotton textiles--an agro-industry
by Laumas, Prem S. & Williams, Martin
1987, Volume 15, Issue 5
- 537-549 Commodities in crisis: An overview of the main issues
by Maizels, Alfred
- 551-558 The role of commodity prices in economic recovery
by Kaldor, Nicholas
- 559-573 Commodity price instability and economic goal attainment in developing countries
by Behrman, Jere R.
- 575-590 International commodity agreements: Shadow and substance
by MacBean, Alasdair & Tin Nguyen, Duc
- 591-616 International commodity agreements: Design and performance
by Gilbert, Christopher L.
- 617-631 Stabex and commodity export compensation schemes: Prospects for globalization
by Hewitt, Adrian P.
- 633-643 From export instability effects to international stabilization policies
by Guillaumont, Patrick
- 645-655 Commodity problem: What next?
by Avramovic, Dragoslav
- 657-671 The long-run determinants of North-South terms of trade and some recent empirical evidence
by Evans, David
- 673-683 Export subsidies and minimum access guarantees in agricultural trade: a developing country perspective
by Valdes, Alberto & Zietz, Joachim
- 685-700 The third world and the CMEA Group in the world economy of raw and basic materials
by Balkay, Balint
- 701-712 Unfavorable specialization and dependence: The case of peripheral raw material exporters
by Raffer, Kunibert
- 713-740 Transnational corporations and non-fuel primary commodities in developing countries
by Girvan, Norman P.
- 741-758 Alternative fiscal regimes for mining in developing countries
by Kumar, Raj & Radetzki, Marian
1987, Volume 15, Issue 4
- 431-439 Peasant supply response in rationed economies
by Bevan, D. L. & Bigsten, A. & Collier, P. & Gunning, J. W.
- 441-448 Increasing the benefits to smallholders from contract farming: Problems for farmers' organizations and policy makers
by Glover, David J.
- 449-462 Positional goods, conspicuous consumption and the international demonstration effect reconsidered
by James, Jeffrey
- 463-481 Development through Harambee: Who wins and who loses? Rural self-help projects in Kenya
by Thomas, Barbara P.
- 483-496 Evaluating participation in African monetary unions: A statistical analysis of the CFA Zones
by Devarajan, Shantayanan & de Melo, Jaime
- 497-500 Book note
by Gran, Guy & Review Editor, oBook
- 501-502 Development studies and contemporary change in Britain: A symposium editor's introductory note
by Drabek, Anne Gordon & Editor, oManaging
- 503-515 Development studies and change in contemporary Britain
by Toye, John
- 517-525 Development studies: Findings, frontiers and fights
by Lipton, Michael
- 527-532 Development studies and the reinvention of tradition
by Blacking, John
- 533-536 Development studies in Britain: A look at ourselves
by Faber, Mike
1987, Volume 15, Issue 3
- 299-316 Trade and structural change: NICs and next tier NICs as transitional economies
by Bradford, Colin Jr.
- 317-328 The impact of foreign direct investment on export structure and employment generation
by Santiago, Carlos E.
- 329-345 Institutional policies and migration behavior: A selective review
by Shrestha, Nanda R.
- 347-374 Toward the diffusion of rural energy technologies: Some lessons from the Indian biogas program
by Lichtman, Rob
- 375-386 The strategy of production and distribution of improved charcoal stoves in Kenya
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 387-398 Technological innovation and technical entrepreneurship for the development of a Nigerian agricultural machinery industry
by Tiffin, Scott & Adjebeng-Asem, Selina & Afolabi, Oladele
- 399-404 Fiscal policy in Mexico: The FitzGerald thesis reexamined
by Looney, Robert E. & Frederiksen, P. C.
- 405-406 Looney and Frederiksen on Mexican fiscal policy: A reply
by FitzGerald, E. V. K.
- 411-417 Rewarding the profligate and punishing the prudent and poor: Some recent proposals for debt relief
by Buiter, Willem H. & Srinivasan, T. N.
- 419-427 UN decade for women: Its impact and legacy
by Tinker, Irene & Jaquette, Jane
1987, Volume 15, Issue 2
- 183-203 Population pressures and agricultural development in developing countries: A conceptual framework and recent evidence
by Bilsborrow, Richard E.
- 205-220 Does integrated area development work? Insights from the Bicol River Basin Development Program
by Koppel, Bruce
- 221-247 Modernizing peasant agriculture: Lessons from El Palmar, Colombia
by Reinhardt, Nola
- 249-262 The effects of IMF programs in the Third World: Debate and evidence from Latin America
by Pastor, Manuel Jr.
- 263-273 Differences in income and poverty within Brazil
by Thomas, Vinod
- 275-286 Structural changes in Brazil's industrial economy, 1960-1980
by Baer, Werner & da Fonseca, Manuel A. R. & Guilhoto, Joaquim J. M.
- 287-290 The effects of inflation on the predictability of price changes in Latin America: Some estimates and policy implications
by Pourgerami, Abbas & Maskus, Keith E.
- 291-293 The relationship between the rate of inflation and its unpredictability in high inflation Latin American countries
by Glezakos, Constantine & Nugent, Jeffrey B.
1987, Volume 15, Issue 1
- 1-4 Editor's introduction: Cuba's socialist economy toward the 1990s
by Zimbalist, Andrew
- 5-22 Patterns of Cuban development: The first twenty-five years
by Zimbalist, Andrew & Eckstein, Susan
- 23-39 Agricultural policy and development in Cuba
by Rodriguez, JoseL.
- 41-65 Gender issues in contemporary Cuban tobacco farming
by Stubbs, Jean
- 67-81 The performance of the Cuban sugar industry, 1981-1985
by Feuer, Carl Henry
- 83-93 Cuban industrial growth, 1965-1984
by Zimbalist, Andrew
- 95-112 Development and prospects of capital goods production in revolutionary Cuba
by Brundenius, Claes
- 113-125 The Cuban health care system: Responsiveness to changing population needs and demands
by Santana, Sarah M.
- 127-138 Worker incentives in Cuba
by Jimenez, Alexis Codina
- 139-152 Power at the workplace: The resolution of worker-management conflict in Cuba
by Fuller, Linda
- 153-161 Cuban planning in the mid-1980s: Centralization, decentralization, and participation
by White, Gordon
- 163-180 Trade, debt, and the Cuban economy
by Turits, Richard
1986, Volume 14, Issue 12
- 1375-1396 International competitiveness, technical change and the state: The machine tool industry in Taiwan and Japan
by Fransman, Martin
- 1397-1410 Learning and the rise of Israel's exports of sophisticated products
by Teubal, Morris & Halevi, Nadev & Tsiddon, D.
- 1411-1421 Rural energy technology assessment: A Sri Lankan case study
by Greeley, Martin
- 1423-1434 The basic needs approach: Overcoming the poverty of homo oeconomicus
by Weigel, Van B.
- 1435-1455 By the teeth: A critical examination of James Scott's The moral economy of the peasant
by Haggis, Jane & Jarrett, Stephanie & Taylor, Dave & Mayer, Peter
- 1457-1461 Adversary activities and per capita income growth
by Datta, Samar K. & Nugent, Jeffrey B.
- 1463-1468 Measures to assist the least developed countries: The case of Malawi
by Jennings, Anthony
- 1473-1487 The world bank in Africa: Historical reflections on the African present
by Hopkins, Antony G.
1986, Volume 14, Issue 10-11
- 1237-1252 Rural public works and food-for-work: A survey
by Clay, Edward J.
- 1253-1267 Rural credit markets and institutions in developing countries: Lessons for policy analysis from practice and modern theory
by Braverman, Avishay & Guasch, J. Luis
- 1269-1275 Fisheries development in the Third World: The role of international agencies
by Bailey, Conner & Cycon, Dean & Morris, Michael
- 1277-1292 The global impact of information technology
by Cole, Sam
- 1293-1310 Original accumulation, equity and late industrialization: The cases of socialist China and capitalist Taiwan
by Ka, Chih-Ming & Selden, Mark
- 1311-1327 Microcomputers and energy policy analysis: Growth prospects in developing countries
by Foell, Wesley K. & Siddayao, Corazon M.
- 1329-1346 Intermediate technology for development: Small-scale chemical fertilizer plants in China
by Wong, Christine P. W.
- 1347-1356 The potential impact of high-test molasses from energy cane on the rum industry of Puerto Rico
by Gottfried, Robert R.
- 1361-1373 The perils of prescription: Economics and the macroeconomic policy adviser
by Nowzad, Bahram
1986, Volume 14, Issue 9
- 1107-1124 The debt problem and growth
by Selowsky, Marcelo & Van Der Tak, Herman G.
- 1125-1140 The determinants of military expenditures in developing countries
by Maizels, Alfred & Nissanke, Machiko K.
- 1141-1150 International price discrimination: The pharmaceutical industry
by Schut, Frederick T. & Van Bergeijk, Peter A. G.
- 1151-1160 Welfare and economic growth in Kenya, 1914-76
by Bigsten, Arne
- 1161-1175 Oil windfalls in a small parliamentary democracy: Their impact on Trinidad and Tobago
by Auty, Richard & Gelb, Alan
- 1177-1198 Dutch disease economics and the Colombian export boom
by Kamas, Linda
- 1199-1202 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
- 1203-1212 The history of the IMF
by Dell, Sidney
- 1213-1231 The functioning of the international monetary system: A critique of the perspective of the industrial countries
by Sengupta, Arjun
- 1233-1236 The report of the Group of Twenty-Four: A comment
by Solomon, Robert
1986, Volume 14, Issue 8
- 873-873 Preface
by Dell, Sidney & Lawrence, Roger
- 875-876 Update
by Helleiner, Gerald K.
- 877-908 Balance-of-payments experience and growth prospects of developing countries: A synthesis
by Helleiner, Gerald K.
- 909-918 Terms of reference for the country studies
by Bacha, Edmar L.
- 919-936 External shocks and growth prospects: The case of Brazil, 1973-1989
by Bacha, Edmar L.
- 937-962 Balance-of-payments adjustment in India, 1970-1971 to 1983-1984
by Ahluwalia, Montek Singh
- 963-991 Mexico's recent balance-of-payments experience and prospects for growth
by De Leon, Ernesto Zedillo Ponce
- 993-1018 Foreign debt, balance of payments, and the economic crisis of the Philippines in 1983-1984
by Remolona, Eli M. & Mangahas, Mahar & Pante, Filologo Jr.
- 1019-1058 Foreign debt, balance of payments, and growth prospects: the case of the Republic of Korea, 1965-1988
by Park, Yung Chul
- 1059-1083 Zimbabwe: transition to economic crises, 1981-1983: retrospect and prospect
by Green, Reginald Herbold & Kadhani, Xavier
- 1085-1105 The balance-of-payments adjustment process in developing countries: The experience of the Ivory Coast
by Quattara, Alassane D.
1986, Volume 14, Issue 7
- 775-790 Management, managers, and revolution
by Austin, James E. & Ickis, John C.
- 791-808 State, capital, and the transformation of dependence: The Brazilian computer case
by Evans, Peter B.
- 809-822 "Sustainable development" in Pacific micro-economies
by Bertram, Geoffrey
- 823-838 St. Lucia's female electronics factory workers: Key components in an export-oriented industrialization strategy
by Kelly, Deirdre
- 839-852 Self-employment, earnings, and mobility in Peninsular Malaysia
by Blau, David M.
- 853-863 Declining tree stocks in African countries
by Anderson, Dennis
- 865-872 Fuel markets in urban Bangladesh
by Prior, M. J.
1986, Volume 14, Issue 6
- 677-696 Remittances from international migration: A review in perspective
by Russell, Sharon Stanton
- 697-712 The hidden economy: A new view of remittances in the arab world
by Choucri, Nazli
- 713-725 Rural stratification, rural to urban migration, and urban inequality: Evidence from Iran
by Mohtadi, Hamid
- 727-741 The urban informal sector in Uruguay: Its internal structure, characteristics, and effects
by Portes, Alejandro & Blitzer, Silvia & Curtis, John
- 743-756 Patterns of technology imports: interregional comparison
by Poznanski, Kazimierz
- 757-762 Impact of Agricultural Research and Extension on crop productivity in Pakistan: A production function approach
by Khan, Mahmood Hasan & Akbari, Ather Hussain
- 767-774 Ideology and North-South relations
by Bhagwati, Jagdish
1986, Volume 14, Issue 5
- 555-577 The Concept and measurement of subsistence: A survey of the literature
by Sharif, Mohammed
- 579-591 Population growth and savings in LDCs: A survey article
by Hammer, Jeffrey S.
- 593-603 Future directions in development studies: The case of decentralization
by Conyers, Diana
- 605-622 Trade in investment-related technological services
by Sapir, Andre
- 623-635 Common property and collective action in economic development
by Runge, Carlisle Ford
- 637-651 An economic and social impact analysis of small industry promotion: A Philippine experience
by Pernia, Ernesto M. & Pernia, Joseph M.
- 653-664 Projects for women in the third world: Explaining their misbehavior
by Buvinic, Mayra
- 665-671 Unanticipated inflation, devaluation and output in Latin America
by Sheehey, Edmund J.
1986, Volume 14, Issue 4
- 453-468 Assessing the impact of international agricultural research and development programs
by Horton, Douglas
- 469-475 Evaluating research system performance and targeting research in land-abundant areas of Sub-Saharan Africa
by Binswanger, Hans P.
- 477-487 Rural financial markets in low-income countries: Recent controversies and lessons
by Adams, Dale W. & Vogel, Robert C.
- 489-502 The comparative performance of foreign and domestic firms in Brazil
by Willmore, Larry N.
- 503-521 Transnational corporations and local capital: Comparative conduct and performance in the Turkish pharmaceutical industry
by Kirim, Arman S.
- 523-530 Multinationals and market structure in Mexico
by Blomstrom, Magnus
- 531-540 Confronting an unsolvable problem: Deforestation in Malawi
by French, David
- 541-547 Sources of growth
by Currie, Lauchlin
- 549-552 Book note
by Gran, Guy
1986, Volume 14, Issue 3
- 319-332 The state and economic stagnation in Tropical Africa
by Sandbrook, Richard
- 333-346 The World Bank and structural adjustment in Latin America
by Bacha, Edmar L. & Feinberg, Richard E.
- 347-365 The effectiveness of structural adjustment lending: Initial evidence from Malawi
by Kydd, J. & Hewitt, A.
- 367-384 Farmer organizations and food production in Zimbabwe
by Bratton, Michael
- 385-409 Agricultural plans for Brazil's Grande Carajas program: Lost opportunity for sustainable local development?
by Fearnside, Philip M.
- 411-414 More of the same in Brazilian Amazonia: A comment on Fearnside
by Hall, Anthony L.
- 415-428 Technical change and labor absorption in Asian agriculture: Some emerging trends
by Jayasuriya, S. K. & Shand, R. T.
- 429-439 Simple analytics of segmented markets: What case for liberalization?
by Roemer, Michael
- 441-447 The supply of labor in agriculture and food prices: The cases of Japan and Egypt
by Grabowski, Richard & Sivan, David
- 449-452 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
1986, Volume 14, Issue 2
- 143-145 Methodological debate in economics: Editor's introduction
by Wilber, Charles K.
- 147-163 No view without a viewpoint: Gunnar Myrdal
by Dykema, Eugene R.
- 165-180 The methodology of W. Arthur Lewis's development economics: Economics as pedagogy
by Wisman, Jon D.
- 181-194 The methodological basis of Hirschman's development economics: Pattern model vs general laws
by Wilber, Charles K. & Francis, Steve
- 195-209 A methodological analysis of dependency theory: Explanation in Andre Gunder Frank
by Simon, Lawrence H. & Ruccio, David F.
- 211-222 Methodological aspects of a Marxian approach to development: An analysis of the modes of production school
by Ruccio, David F. & Simon, Lawrence H.
- 223-232 Latin American structuralism: A methodological perspective
by Jameson, Kenneth P.
- 233-243 Program interventions, intrahousehold distribution and the welfare of individuals: Modelling household behavior
by Rosenzweig, Mark R.
- 245-255 Hearts and spades: Paradigms of household economics
by Folbre, Nancy
- 257-265 The new development economics
by Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 267-272 Forced commerce and agrarian growth
by Bhaduri, Amit
- 273-282 Peasant rationality: Individuals, groups, cultures
by Adams, John
- 283-300 Approaches to evaluation of development interventions: The importance of world and life views
by Hoksbergen, Roland
- 301-317 Three rationalities in development decision-making
by Goulet, Denis
1986, Volume 14, Issue 1
- 1-38 Industrial decentralization under apartheid: The relocation of industry to the South African periphery
by Wellings, Paul & Black, Anthony
- 39-63 Assistance to expand agricultural production
by Ruttan, Vernon W.
- 65-77 Farming systems research: Hitting a moving target
by Maxwell, Simon
- 79-96 Oil exports, agrarian change and the rural labor process: The ecuadorian sierra in the 1970s
by Commander, Simon & Peek, Peter
- 97-114 Three patterns of basic needs distribution within Sri Lanka: 1971-1973
by Morrison, Barrie M. & Waxler, Nancy E.
- 115-126 Credit allocation and investment decisions: The case of the manufacturing sector in Korea
by Leite, Sergio Pereira & Vaez-Zadeh, Reza
- 127-132 Corruption, delivery systems, and property rights
by Vijay Jagannathan, N.
- 133-135 On fertility, migration and remittances in LDCs
by Katz, Eliakim & Stark, Oded
- 137-140 Book notes: New classics and guides to research
by Gran, Guy
1985, Volume 13, Issue 12
- 1187-1209 Alternatives for multilateral development diplomacy: Some suggestions
by Weiss, Thomas G.
- 1211-1230 Foreign aid and conditions precedent: Political and bureaucratic dimensions
by Cohen, John M. & Grindle, Merilee S. & Walker, S. Tjip
- 1231-1247 Participation, public policy, political economy and development in rural Bangladesh, 1958-85
by Blair, Harry W.
- 1249-1262 Structural barriers to food programming: An analysis of the "Mexican food system"
by Spalding, Rose J.
- 1263-1286 Energy use in eight rural communities in India
by Bowonder, B. & Prakash Rao, N. & Dasgupta, B. & Prasad, S. S. R.
- 1287-1298 A cross-country comparison of interindustry linkages and the role of imported intermediate inputs
by Kubo, Yuji
- 1299-1305 Some initial results of China's new agricultural policies
by Stavis, Benedict
- 1307-1309 Pioneers in Development : Gerald M. Meier and Dudley Seers (Eds.) (1984) (New York: Oxford University Press for the World Bank), x + 372 pp., hardback, $29.95
by Morawetz, David
- 1311-1314 Book notes: New classics and guides to research
by Gran, Guy
1985, Volume 13, Issue 10-11
- 1099-1124 The search for a development economics
by Bruton, Henry J.
- 1125-1138 The private sector and rural development: Can agribusiness help the small farmer?
by Goldsmith, Arthur
- 1139-1149 Attitude change revisited: Cognitive dissonance theory and development policy
by James, Jeffrey & Gutkind, Efraim
- 1151-1161 Productivity, progress and learning: The case of jute spinning in Bangladesh
by Kibria, M. G. & Tisdell, C. A.
- 1163-1170 The demand for money in a developing economy: The case of Kenya
by Darrat, Ali F.
- 1171-1174 A note on the dynamic aspects of the Heckscher--Ohlin model: Some empirical evidence
by Khanna, Ashok
- 1175-1178 The appraisal of rural water supplies
by Mcneill, Desmond
- 1179-1180 Reply
by Baldwin, G. B.
- 1181-1181 Rejoinder
by McNeill, Desmond
1985, Volume 13, Issue 9
- 1017-1035 Women and agricultural change in Latin America: Some concepts guiding research
by Wilson, Fiona
- 1037-1053 Rural women and state policy: The Latin American agrarian reform experience
by Deere, Carmen Diana