Evaluating the Health Effects of Micro Health Insurance Placement: Evidence from Bangladesh
AbstractSummary We examine the impact of Micro Health Insurance placement on health awareness, healthcare utilization, and health status of microcredit members in rural Bangladesh, using data from 329 households in the operating areas of Grameen Bank. The results are based on econometric analysis conditioned on placement of the scheme and show that placement has a positive association with all of the outcomes. The results are statistically significant for health awareness and healthcare utilization, but not for health status and these findings are potentially important for the expansion and replication of Micro Health Insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
microcredit Micro Health Insurance Grameen Bank Bangladesh;
Other versions of this item:
- Jennifer Roberts & Paul Mosley & Syed Abdul Hammid, 2010. "Evaluating the Health Effects of Micro Health Insurance Placement: Evidence from Bangladesh," Working Papers 2010009, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2010.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kochar, Anjini, 2004. "Ill-health, savings and portfolio choices in developing economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 257-285, February.
- Paul Gertler & Jonathan Gruber, 1997.
"Insuring Consumption Against Illness,"
NBER Working Papers
6035, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jutting, Johannes P., 2004. "Do Community-based Health Insurance Schemes Improve Poor People's Access to Health Care? Evidence From Rural Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 273-288, February.
- Stefan Boes & Rainer Winkelmann, 2006.
"Ordered response models,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 167-181, March.
- Paul Gertler & David I. Levine & Enrico Moretti, 2003.
"Do Microfinance Programs Help Families Insure Consumption Against Illness?,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Paul Gertler & David I. Levine & Enrico Moretti, 2009. "Do microfinance programs help families insure consumption against illness?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 257-273.
- Gertler, Paul & Levine, David I. & Moretti, Enrico, 2003. "Do Microfinance Programs Help Families Insure Consumption Against Illness?," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt5811j217, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Robert S. Chase, 2002. "Supporting Communities in Transition: The Impact of the Armenian Social Investment Fund," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 219-240, August.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2003.
"Social protection in a crisis - Argentina's Plan Jefes y Jefas,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3165, The World Bank.
- Emanuela Galasso & Martin Ravallion, 2004. "Social Protection in a Crisis: Argentina's Plan Jefes y Jefas," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(3), pages 367-399.
- Dror, David Mark & Koren, Ruth & Steinberg, David Mark, 2006. "The impact of filipino micro health-insurance units on income-related equality of access to healthcare," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 304-317, August.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker, 1998. "The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 958-996, October.
- Desmet, M. & Chowdhury, A. Q. & Islam, Md. K., 1999. "The potential for social mobilisation in Bangladesh: the organisation and functioning of two health insurance schemes," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(7), pages 925-938, April.
- Dror, David M. & Soriano, Elmer S. & Lorenzo, Marilyn E. & Sarol, Jesus Jr. & Azcuna, Rosebelle S. & Koren, Ruth, 2005. "Field based evidence of enhanced healthcare utilization among persons insured by micro health insurance units in Philippines," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 263-271, September.
- Hugh R. Waters, 1999. "Measuring the impact of health insurance with a correction for selection bias-a case study of Ecuador," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(5), pages 473-483.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.