Bayesian Model Averaging in Vector Autoregressive Processes with an Investigation of Stability of the US Great Ratios and Risk of a Liquidity Trap in the USA, UK and Japan
AbstractA Bayesian model averaging procedure is presented within the class of vector autoregressive (VAR) processes and applied to two empirical issues. First, stability of the Great Ratios in U.S. macro-economic time series is investigated, together with the presence and effects of permanent shocks. Measures on manifolds are employed in order to elicit uniform priors on subspaces defined by particular structural features of linear VARs. Second, the VAR model is extended to include a smooth transition function in a (monetary) equation and stochastic volatility in the disturbances. The risk of a liquidity trap in the USA, UK and Japan is evaluated, together with the expected cost of a policy adjustment of central banks. Posterior probabilities of different models are evaluated usingMarkov chainMonte Carlo techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series MRG Discussion Paper Series with number 1407.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Strachan, R.W. & Dijk, H.K. van, 2007. "Bayesian model averaging in vector autoregressive processes with an investigation of stability of the US great ratios and risk of a liquidity trap in the USA, UK and Japan," Econometric Institute Report EI 2007-11, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Justyna Wróblewska, 2011. "Bayesian Analysis of Weak Form Reduced Rank Structure in VEC Models," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 3(3), pages 169-186, September.
- Justyna Wróblewska, 2009. "Bayesian Model Selection in the Analysis of Cointegration," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(1), pages 57-69, March.
- Gareth W. Peters & Balakrishnan Kannan & Ben Lasscock & Chris Mellen, 2010. "Model Selection and Adaptive Markov chain Monte Carlo for Bayesian Cointegrated VAR model," Papers 1004.3830, arXiv.org.
- Korobilis, Dimitris, 2008. "Forecasting in vector autoregressions with many predictors," MPRA Paper 21122, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.