Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model
AbstractTwo methods of identifying cointegrating vectors are commonly used: linear restrictions and the nonlinear method of Johansen's maximum likelihood procedure. That the linear method can produce invalid estimates while the Johansen approach always produces valid estimates has been recognized in several recent articles. Because all Bayesian studies to date have used linear restrictions, this article presents a Bayesian method for obtaining estimates of cointegrating vectors that will always be valid. In addition, it also presents an approach for evaluating the validity of linear restrictions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Strachan, R., 2000. "Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 6/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter & Rodney W. Strachan, 2005.
"Reexamining the consumption-wealth relationship: the role of model uncertainty,"
202, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter & Rodney W. Strachan, 2008. "Re-Examining the Consumption-Wealth Relationship: The Role of Model Uncertainty," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 341-367, 03.
- Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter & Rodney W. Strachan, 2005. "Re-examining the Consumption-Wealth Relationship: The Role of Model Uncertainty," Discussion Papers in Economics 05/3, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Dimitris Korobilis, 2009.
"Assessing the Transmission of Monetary Policy Shocks Using Dynamic Factor Models,"
Working Paper Series
35_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Dimitris Korompilis, 2009. "Assessing the Transmission of Monetary Policy Shocks Using Dynamic Factor Models," Working Papers 0914, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Chew Lian Chua & Peter Summers, 2004. "Structural Error Correction Model: A Bayesian Perspective," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 702, Econometric Society.
- Karlsson, Sune, 2012. "Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions," Working Papers 2012:12, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Markus Jochmann & Gary Koop, 2011.
Working Paper Series
40_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Jochmann, Markus & Koop, Gary, 2011. "Regime-Switching Cointegration," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-36, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Jochmann, Markus & Koop, Gary, 2011. "Regime-Switching Cointegration," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-60, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Markus Jochmann & Gary Koop, 2011. "Regime-Switching Cointegration," Working Papers 1125, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Villani, Mattias, 2003. "Bayes Estimators of the Cointegration Space," Working Paper Series 150, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Villani, Mattias, 2006. "Bayesian point estimation of the cointegration space," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 645-664, October.
- Radchenko, Stanislav & Tsurumi, Hiroki, 2006.
"Limited information Bayesian analysis of a simultaneous equation with an autocorrelated error term and its application to the U.S. gasoline market,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 31-49, July.
- Stanislav Radchenko, 2004. "Limited Information Bayesian Analysis of a Simultaneous Equation with an Autocorrelated Error Term and its Application to the U.S. Gasoline Market," Econometrics 0408001, EconWPA.
- Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009. "Assessing the transmission of monetary policy using dynamic factor models," MPRA Paper 27593, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2010.
- Villani, Mattias, 2005. "Bayesian Inference of General Linear Restrictions on the Cointegration Space," Working Paper Series 189, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Strachan, Rodney W. & Inder, Brett, 2004. "Bayesian analysis of the error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 307-325, December.
- Anders Warne, 2006. "Bayesian inference in cointegrated VAR models - with applications to the demand for euro area M3," Working Paper Series 692, European Central Bank.
- SILVESTRINI, Andrea, 2007.
"Testing fiscal sustainability in Poland: a Bayesian analysis of cointegration,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007080, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andrea Silvestrini, 2010. "Testing fiscal sustainability in Poland: a Bayesian analysis of cointegration," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 241-274, August.
- Andrea, SILVESTRINI, 2007. "Testing fiscal sustainability in Poland : a Bayesian analysis of cointegration," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007040, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Mattias Villani, 2009. "Steady-state priors for vector autoregressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 630-650.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.