Testing for rational bubbles in the housing market
AbstractThis paper investigates the presence of a bubble in the US housing market prior to the 2007 subprime mortgage financial crisis. The relationship between housing prices and rental prices, known as the price-rent ratio, is an important measure of a potential deviation between housing prices and its fundamental value. Additionally, the interest rate is taken into account since it is an important factor in determining demand for housing mortgages and thereby influence housing prices. These relationships are then put into a theoretical model framework. The empirical evidence suggests that there was a bubble in the housing market prior to the financial crisis, even when controlling for the decreasing interest rate in the period. Hence, the econometric procedures used in the analysis may be relevant for monitoring the housing market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology in its series Working Paper Series with number 13312.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 17 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002.
"House prices, borrowing constraints and monetary policy in the business cycle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
542, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2004.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005. "House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 739-764, June.
- Charles Himmelberg & Christopher Mayer & Todd Sinai, 2005.
"Assessing High House Prices: Bubbles, Fundamentals and Misperceptions,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 67-92, Fall.
- Charles Himmelberg & Christopher Mayer & Todd Sinai, 2005. "Assessing high house prices: bubbles, fundamentals, and misperceptions," Staff Reports 218, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Charles Himmelberg & Christopher Mayer & Todd Sinai, 2005. "Assessing High House Prices: Bubbles, Fundamentals, and Misperceptions," NBER Working Papers 11643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P & Hodrick, Robert J, 1990. "On Testing for Speculative Bubbles," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 85-101, Spring.
- James M. Poterba, 1992.
"Taxation and Housing: Old Questions, New Answers,"
NBER Working Papers
3963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nielsen, Bent, 2010.
"Analysis Of Coexplosive Processes,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 882-915, June.
- Morris A. Davis & Andreas Lehnert & Robert F. Martin, 2008.
"The Rent-Price Ratio For The Aggregate Stock Of Owner-Occupied Housing,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(2), pages 279-284, 06.
- Morris A. Davis & Andreas Lehnert & Robert F. Martin, 2005. "The Rent-Price Ratio for the Aggregate Stock of Owner-Occupied Housing," Urban/Regional 0509019, EconWPA.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679.
- Engsted, Tom, 2006. "Explosive bubbles in the cointegrated VAR model," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 154-162, June.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Symposium on Bubbles," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 13-18, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marit Balstad Jensen) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Marit Balstad Jensen to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.