Bublles and Charges
AbstractThe definition of "fundamental value" and "speculative bubbles" that are standard in macroeconomics and finance are given formal representations as the countably additive part and the purely finitely additive part (a measure and a pure charge, respectively) of the supporting price system when the commodity space is L(infinity). Examples illustrate that rational bubbles can occur in standard general equilibrium models with complete markets and a finite number of agents, even in the absence of uncertainty. Copyright 1992 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Carleton University, Department of Economics in its series Carleton Economic Papers with number 89-05.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision: May 1992
Publication status: Published: Revised version in International Economic Review, Vol. 33, No. 2 (May 1992), pp. 323–339
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa Ontario, K1S 5B6 Canada
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2010.
"Liquidity and asset market dynamics,"
1016, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Loewenstein, Mark & Willard, Gregory A., 2000. "Rational Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Bubbles in Continuous Trading Models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 17-58, March.
- Burke, Jonathan L., 2009. "Quasi equilibria for growth economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 197-199, December.
- Luigi Montrucchio & Fabio Privileggi, 2001.
"On Fragility of Bubbles in Equilibrium Asset Pricing Models of Lucas-Type,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
05-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Montrucchio, Luigi & Privileggi, Fabio, 2001. "On Fragility of Bubbles in Equilibrium Asset Pricing Models of Lucas-Type," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 158-188, November.
- Montrucchio, Luigi & Privileggi, Fabio, 1999. "On Fragility of Bubbles in Equilibrium Asset Pricing Models of Lucas-Type," POLIS Working Papers 5, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Gilles, Christian & LeRoy, Stephen F., 1998. "Arbitrage, martingales and bubbles," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 357-362, September.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1993.
"Icomplete Markets Over an Infinite Horizon: Long-Lived Securities and Speculative Bubbles,"
9321, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Magill, Michael & Quinzii, Martine, 1996. "Incomplete markets over an infinite horizon: Long-lived securities and speculative bubbles," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 133-170.
- Kivedal, Bjørnar Karlsen, 2013. "Testing for rational bubbles in the US housing market," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PB), pages 369-381.
- Ahmed, Ehsan & Barkley Rosser, J. Jr. & Uppal, Jamshed Y., 1999. "Evidence of nonlinear speculative bubbles in pacific-rim stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 21-36.
- Simon van Norden & Robert Vigfusson, 1996.
"Avoiding the Pitfalls: Can Regime-Switching Tests Detect Bubbles?,"
- Vigfusson, R. & Van Norden, S., 1996. "Avoiding the Pitfalls: Can Regime-Switching Tests Detect Bubbles?," Working Papers 96-11, Bank of Canada.
- Kountzakis, C. & Polyrakis, I.A., 2013. "Coherent risk measures in general economic models and price bubbles," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 201-209.
- Stephen F. LeRoy, 2012. "Infinite Portfolio Strategies," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 6(4), December.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal, 2003. "The optimal design of Ponzi schemes in finite economies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 2-24, January.
- Edward Bernard Bastiaan de Rivera y Rivera & Diógenes Manoel Leiva Martin & Emerson Fernandes Marçal & Leonardo Fernando Cruz Basso, 2012. "Present value model between prices and dividends with constant and time-varying expected returns: enterprise-level Brazilian stock market evidence from non-stationary panels," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 9(4), pages 51-86, October.
- Simon van Norden, 1995.
"Regime Switching as a Test for Exchange Rate Bubbles,"
9502001, EconWPA, revised 09 Aug 1995.
- van Norden, Simon, 1996. "Regime Switching as a Test for Exchange Rate Bubbles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 219-51, May-June.
- Araujo, Aloisio & Novinski, Rodrigo & Páscoa, Mário R., 2011. "General equilibrium, wariness and efficient bubbles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 785-811, May.
- Kevin X.D. Huang & Jan Werner, 1997. "Valuation bubbles and sequential bubbles," Economics Working Papers 303, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 1997.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Renee Lortie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.