Testing for rational bubbles in a co-explosive vector autoregression
AbstractWe derive the parameter restrictions that a standard equity market model implies for a bivariate vector autoregression for stock prices and dividends, and we show how to test these restrictions using likelihood ratio tests. The restrictions, which imply that stock returns are unpredictable, are derived both for a model without bubbles and for a model with a rational bubble. In both cases we show how the restrictions can be tested through standard chi-squared inference. The analysis for the no-bubble case is done within the traditional Johansen model for I(1) variables, while the bubble model is analysed using a co-explosive framework. The methodology is illustrated using US stock prices and dividends for the period 1872-2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford in its series Economics Papers with number 2010-W06.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 24 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/economics/
Rational bubbles; Explosiveness and co-explosiveness; Cointegration; Vector autoregression; Likelihood ratio tests.;
Other versions of this item:
- Tom Engsted & Bent Nielsen, 2012. "Testing for rational bubbles in a coexplosive vector autoregression," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 15(2), pages 226-254, 06.
- Bent Nielsen & Tom Engsted, 2010. "Testing for rational bubbles in a co-explosive vector autoregression," Economics Series Working Papers 2010-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tom Engsted & Bent Nielsen, 2010. "Testing for rational bubbles in a co-explosive vector autoregression," CREATES Research Papers 2010-25, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2010-09-25 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ECM-2010-09-25 (Econometrics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.