Predicting Bid-Ask Spreads Using Long Memory Autoregressive Conditional Poisson Models
AbstractWe introduce a long memory autoregressive conditional Poisson (LMACP) model to model highly persistent time series of counts. The model is applied to forecast quoted bid-ask spreads, a key parameter in stock trading operations. It is shown that the LMACP nicely captures salient features of bid-ask spreads like the strong autocorrelation and discreteness of observations. We discuss theoretical properties of LMACP models and evaluate rolling window forecasts of quoted bid-ask spreads for stocks traded at NYSE and NASDAQ. We show that Poisson time series models significantly outperform forecasts from ARMA, ARFIMA, ACD and FIACD models. The economic significance of our results is supported by the evaluation of a trade schedule. Scheduling trades according to spread forecasts we realize cost savings of up to 13 % of spread transaction costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2011-044.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Bid-ask spreads; forecasting; high-frequency data; stock market liquidity; count data time series; long memory Poisson autoregression;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-07-21 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-07-21 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2011-07-21 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MST-2011-07-21 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ulrich Horst & Michael Kupper & Andrea Macrina & Christoph Mainberger, 2011. "Continuous Equilibrium under Base Preferences and Attainable Initial Endowments," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-082, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Patrick Cheridito & Ulrich Horst & Michael Kupper & Traian A. Pirvu, 2011. "Equilibrium Pricing in Incomplete Markets under Translation Invariant Preferences," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-083, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Raffaele Fiocco, 2011. "Competition and regulation in a differentiated good market," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-084, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.