Multivariate modelling of time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model
AbstractThis paper introduces a new multivariate model for time series count data. The Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Poisson model (MACP) makes it possible to deal with issues of discreteness, overdispersion (variance greater than the mean) and both auto- and cross-correlation. We model counts as Poisson or double Poisson and assume that conditionally on past observations the means follow a Vector Autoregression. We use a copula to introduce contemporaneous correlation between the series. An important advantage of this model is that it can accommodate both positive and negative correlation among variables. As a feasible alternative to multivariate duration models, the model is applied to the submission of market orders and quote revisions on IBM on the New York Stock Exchange. We show that a single factor cannot explain the dynamics of the market process, which confirms that time deformation, taken as meaning that all market events should accelerate or slow down proportionately, does not hold. We advocate the use of the Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Poisson model for the study of multivariate point processes in finance, when the number of variables considered simultaneously exceeds two and looking at durations becomes too difficult.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2003025.
Date of creation: 00 Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
count data; time series; copula; market microstructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Asger Lunde, 2003.
"Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(2), pages 159-188.
- Engle, Robert F & Lunde, Asger, 1998. "Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8bh079sq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Lee, Charles M C & Ready, Mark J, 1991. " Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 733-46, June.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Fernandes, C, 1989. "Time Series Models for Count or Qualitative Observations: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(4), pages 422, October.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Fernandes, C, 1989. "Time Series Models for Count or Qualitative Observations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(4), pages 407-17, October.
- Heinen, Andréas & Rengifo, Erick, 2008.
"Multivariate reduced rank regression in non-Gaussian contexts, using copulas,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2931-2944, February.
- HEINEN, Andréas & RENGIFO, Erick, 2004. "Multivariate reduced rank regression in non-Gaussian contexts, using copulas," CORE Discussion Papers 2004032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman, 2005. "Modelling High Frequency Financial Count Data," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 656, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Jung, Robert C. & Kukuk, Martin & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2006. "Time series of count data: modeling, estimation and diagnostics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2350-2364, December.
- Snyder, Ralph D. & Ord, J. Keith & Beaumont, Adrian, 2012. "Forecasting the intermittent demand for slow-moving inventories: A modelling approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 485-496.
- Kurt Brannas & A. M. M. Shahiduzzaman Quoreshi, 2010.
"Integer-valued moving average modelling of the number of transactions in stocks,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(18), pages 1429-1440.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman, 2004. "Integer-Valued Moving Average Modelling of the Number of Transactions in Stocks," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 637, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Feigin, Paul D. & Gould, Phillip & Martin, Gael M. & Snyder, Ralph D., 2008. "Feasible parameter regions for alternative discrete state space models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(17), pages 2963-2970, December.
- GRAMMIG, Joachim & HEINEN, Andréas & RENGIFO, Erick, 2004. "Trading activity and liquidity supply in a pure limit order book market," CORE Discussion Papers 2004058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghahramani, M. & Thavaneswaran, A., 2009. "On some properties of Autoregressive Conditional Poisson (ACP) models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 273-275, December.
- Weiß, Christian H., 2010. "INARCH(1) processes: Higher-order moments and jumps," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1771-1780, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.