Intra-Firm Human Capital Externalities in Tunisia
AbstractIn this case-study, we use matched worker-firm Tunisian data to elicit the roles of intra-firm human capital and modern firm features in worker remunerations. We show that the estimated return to education in wage equations is not modified when replacing in the list of regressors the firm dummies, representing observed and unobserved firm heterogeneity, by the first three factors of a Principal Component Analysis of the observed firm characteristics. These factors can be interpreted as: the activity sector, the intra-firm human capital density and the modernity of the firm. These results constitute an interesting argument in favour of the presence of intra-firm human capital externalities. Moreover, the estimated education coefficient does not change when the three factors are replaced by three surrogate variables, respectively: the textile industry dummy, the intra-firm mean education, and the firm’s age.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise in its series THEMA Working Papers with number 2008-38.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
economic development; rate of returns; human capital; wage differentials; intra-firm knowledge externalities; Tunisia.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rama, Martin, 1998. "How Bad Is Unemployment in Tunisia? Assessing Labor Market Efficiency in a Developing Country," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 13(1), pages 59-77, February.
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala, 2008. "Regional Returns to Education, Child Labour and Schooling in India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(2), pages 233-257.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 1999. "Persistence of Interindustry Wage Differentials: A Reexamination Using Matched Worker-Firm Panel Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(3), pages 492-533, July.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 1999. "The analysis of labor markets using matched employer-employee data," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 40, pages 2629-2710 Elsevier.
- Kölling, Arnd & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002.
"Establishment Age and Wages: Evidence from German Linked Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
679, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kölling, Arnd & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "Establishment age and wages: evidence from German linked employer-employee data," Discussion Papers 13, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Christophe Nordman & François-Charles Wolff, 2008. "Islands through the glass ceiling? Evidence of gender wage gaps in Madagascar and Mauritius," Working Papers DT/2008/02, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Frazer, Garth, 2006. "Learning the master's trade: Apprenticeship and human capital in Ghana," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 259-298, December.
- José Ferreira Machado & José Mata, 1998.
"Earning Functions in Portugal 1982-1994: Evidence From Quantile Regressions,"
w199802, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- José A. F. Machado & José Mata, 2001. "Earning functions in Portugal 1982-1994: Evidence from quantile regressions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 115-134.
- Christophe Muller & Christophe Nordman, 2005.
"Human Capital And Wages In Two Leading Industries Of Tunisia: Evidence From Matched Worker-Firm Data,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2005-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Christophe Muller & Christophe Nordman, 2005. "Human capital and wages in two leading industries in Tunisia: evidence from matched worker-firm data," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 48(1-2), pages 183-208.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995.
"High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms,"
Cahiers de recherche
9503, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," Cahiers de recherche 9503, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High Wage Workers and High Wage Firms," NBER Working Papers 4917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," CIRANO Working Papers 94s-23, CIRANO.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1995. "Bootstrapping Quantile Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 105-121, February.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "The dynamics of changes in the female wage distribution in the USA: a quantile regression approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 1-30.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 1999.
"Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings,"
99-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 2002. "Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1987. "Interindustry Wage Differences and Industry Characteristics," NBER Working Papers 2014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Harminder Battu & Clive R. Belfield & Peter J. Sloane, 2003. "Human Capital Spillovers within the Workplace: Evidence for Great Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(5), pages 575-594, December.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 2001. "Quantile regression with sample selection: Estimating women's return to education in the U.S," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 87-113.
- Al-Samarrai, Samer & Reilly, Barry, 2006.
"Education, Employment and Earnings of Secondary School and University Leavers in Tanzania: Evidence from a Tracer Study,"
129, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Samer Al-Samarrai & Barry Reilly, 2008. "Education, Employment and Earnings of Secondary School and University Leavers in Tanzania: Evidence from a Tracer Study," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(2), pages 258-288.
- Melly, Blaise, 2005. "Decomposition of differences in distribution using quantile regression," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 577-590, August.
- Angrist, Joshua D & Lavy, Victor, 1997. "The Effect of a Change in Language of Instruction on the Returns to Schooling in Morocco," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages S48-76, January.
- Christophe Nordman, 2002.
"Diffusion du capital humain et effets d'entreprise. Approche par frontière de gains sur données appariées marocaines et tunisiennes,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 53(3), pages 647-658.
- Christophe Nordman, 2002. "Diffusion du capital humain et effets d'entreprise. Approche par frontière de gains sur données appariées marocaines et tunisiennes," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 53(3), pages 647-658.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis & Margolis, David N. & Troske, Kenneth R., 2001.
"The Relative Importance of Employer and Employee Effects on Compensation: A Comparison of France and the United States,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 419-436, December.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N. & Troske, K.R., 1998. "The Relative Importance of Employer and Employeee Effects on Compensation: a Comparison of France and the United States," Papiers du Laboratoire de MicroÃÂ©conomie AppliquÃÂ©e 1998-10, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala, 2004. "Returns to Education, Child Labor, & Schooling in India," Development and Comp Systems 0410003, EconWPA.
- Sahn, David E. & Alderman, Harold, 1988. "The effects of human capital on wages, and the determinants of labor supply in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 157-183, September.
- Martins, Pedro S. & Pereira, Pedro T., 2004. "Does education reduce wage inequality? Quantile regression evidence from 16 countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 355-371, June.
- Hoddinott, John, 1996. "Wages and Unemployment in an Urban African Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1610-26, November.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2002.
"Returns to investment in education : a further update,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2881, The World Bank.
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2004. "Returns to investment in education: a further update," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 111-134.
- Christophe Muller & Christophe J. Nordman, 2012.
"Wages and On-the-Job Training in Tunisia,"
AMSE Working Papers
1222, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marion Oury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.