Product Market Competition and the Boundaries of the firm
AbstractThis paper studies the effects of product market competition on vertical integration. In a duopoly setting, each retailer is associated with a manufacturer who must decide how to allocate property rights over the retail asset. Choosing delegation of property rights over vertical integration transfers incentives from the manufacturer to the retailer, and has the benefit of facilitating the creation of value, due to the retailer's superior efficiency. On the other hand it forces the manufacturer to forfeit part of the profits. We show how competition affects the equilibrium allocation of property rights in the industry, and discuss model applications
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings with number 248.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Competition; Vertical Integration; Incomplete Contracts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baggs, Jennifer & de Bettignies, Jean-Etienne, 2006. "Product Market Competition and Agency Costs," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2006287e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.