Downstream Competition, Foreclosure, and Vertical Integration
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impact of competition among downstream firms on an upstream firm's payoff and on its incentives to vertically integrate when firms on both segments negotiate optimal contracts. The author argues that tougher competiton decreases the downstream industry profit, but improves the upstream firm's negotiation position.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor. in its series Papers with number 99-18.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: THEMA, Universite de Paris X-Nanterre, U.F.R. de science economiques, gestion, mathematiques et informatique, 200, avenue de la Republique 92001 Nanterre CEDEX.
MARKET STRUCTURE ; VERTICAL INTEGRATION ; ENTERPRISES;
Other versions of this item:
- G. Chemla, 1999. "Downstream competition, foreclosure, and vertical integration," THEMA Working Papers 99-18, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kai-Uwe Kuhn & Xavier Vives, 1999.
"Excess Entry, Vertical Integration, and Welfare,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 575-603, Winter.
- Chambolle, Claire & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008.
"Buyer Power through Producer's Differentiation,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7b93w47c, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Claire Chambolle & Sofia Villas-Boas, 2007. "Buyer Power through Producer's Differentiation," Working Papers hal-00243058, HAL.
- Chambolle, Claire & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2007. "Buyer power through producer's differentiation," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1042, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2006.
"Bundling Electronic Journals and Competition among Publishers,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(5), pages 1038-1083, 09.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2005. "Bundling Electronic Journals and Competition among Publishers," Working Papers 270, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- domenico menicucci & doh-shin jeon, 2004. "bundling electronic journals and competition among publishers," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 720, Econometric Society.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2003. "Bundling electronic journals and competition among publishers," Economics Working Papers 678, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2005.
- Joshua Gans & Catherine de Fontenay, 2004.
"Vertical Integration in the Presence of Upstream Competition,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
7, Econometric Society.
- Catherine C. de Fontenay & Joshua S. Gans, 2005. "Vertical Integration in the Presence of Upstream Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(3), pages 544-572, Autumn.
- Catherine C. de Fontenay & Joshua S. Gans, 2004. "Vertical Integration in the Presence of Upstream Competition," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 904, The University of Melbourne.
- Ursino, Giovanni, 2009. "Supply Chain Control: A Theory of Vertical Integration," MPRA Paper 18357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pedro Mendi & Rafael Moner-Colonques & José Sempere-Monerris, 2011. "Vertical integration, collusion, and tariffs," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 359-378, September.
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
- Pedro Mendi, 2005. "Vertical Integration, Collusion Downstream, and Partial Market Foreclosure," Faculty Working Papers 17/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou, 2004. "Exclusive Dealing And Compatibility Of Investments," Economics Working Papers we044919, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Milliou, Chrysovalantou & Petrakis, Emmanuel & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2003. "Endogenous Contracts Under Bargaining in Competing Vertical Chains," CEPR Discussion Papers 3976, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aïd, René & Chemla, Gilles & Porchet, Arnaud & Touzi, Nizar, 2011. "Hedging and Vertical Integration in Electricity Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 8313, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2004. "Business-to-business electronic marketplaces: Joining a public or creating a private," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 99-112.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2005:i:9:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Lluís Bru & José Manuel Ordóñez de Haro, 2001.
"Divisionalization In Vertical Structures,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2001-28, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Stephane Caprice, 2005. "Incentive to encourage downstream competition under bilateral oligopoly," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(9), pages 1-5.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.